Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion (Part 1)

It’s not simple. 1500hp required a new cooling system and this was not changed. The existing cooling system was maintained as is, so the output was maintained at 1200 hp.

I don’t think they really care enough to hate it tbh, it’s just a combination of their stances on various things hitting the challies hard because of their general design. Like the add-on protection figures being interpreted by gaijin as being 30 degrees from the vehicle nose rather than 30 degrees from the normal to the add-on itself, including the armour behind the add-on in that figure also, and so on

The cooling system was upgraded but it wasn’t good enough to allow the engine to be up rated

As I remember, that project hasn’t started yet.

Without new cooling, but with common rail and new engine control it was claimed to go up to 1350hp. Cooling development started some time ago, where it is now i dunno.
@Mytho-GR1

1 Like

A company has already been selected for upgrading the cooling AMETEK Airtechnology Group Awarded Engine Cooling Fans Contract for Challenger 2

3 Likes

Well it seems i cant tell gaijin to go fuck themselves sadly, and at this point i dont really care about chat bans… I keep getting them for saying shit, or saying nothing at all but being in the same lobby as people chucking racial slurs. I play this game on my own terms, its a game, why would i give a shit about any more than this. Even if i am wrong about the engine (I know the british government would rather put a rock in as the engine that improve it but i doubt they would keep the old 1200hp), they could have allowed us it as the tank itself isnt even a fucking real tank to begin with.

They dont give the italian f16 its ARAAM’s because they like it where it is, but then they suddenly need the challengers engine to be historicle for a tank that was never gonna go into production (wheres our BAE EAP gaijin…).

5 Likes

I already knew that going into the UK tree. I have completed the USSR and (most of) the Swedish trees. I just was interested in the vehicles and wanted to play them just for fun. They were a lot better in 2023 before the protection ‘remodeling’ (stealth nerf), and with this latest patch the final nail in the playability coffin has been hammered in.

I hope perhaps my grandchildren might live to see a playable Challenger 2 though I don’t think its likely lol.

Eh i seem to do pretty well in the black night and 2e tbh, honestly theyre the best ch2 overall with the 2e raking in the top spots

I mean I’m grinding for the 2 TES right now (not the Desert Warrior strangely but anyway) and I’m still running stock darts, having to fight anything and everything with L23A1 and even L26 is just blatantly unfair. Add to it that your tank is magically slower than it should be and doesn’t retain speed when you turn, and has a gaping big hole in the turret, and it’s just stupid. I get stock grinds are sucky stupid mechanics but it just feels so much worse on a Challenger 2 than it has any right to be.

2 Likes

I hope gaijin continue to make the challenger 2s even worse and keep them at the same BR because it does a great job of convincing me to just spawn a low level light tank, get a couple of scouts then throw PGMs at the enemy instead.

I wouldn’t mind the idea of 1200bhp as much if they added the real actual armour levels to compensate and added some sort of regen steering

Challengers have been in game for, what, 5 years, you’d think that they’d either add a quasi regen steering, or better still, actually add it.

If they actually read what official literature we do have on CR2, they’d realise the armour on the turret should be impervious to basically any round in game, yet there’s a massive gaping hole in it. Iirc one of the documents Flame (or was it Fireball? sorry) posted some time ago stated that the Challenger 2 Turret Armour should meet the specification in over 95% of the turret, and given that the Leopard 2 failed this test when it was procured, at around 90%. That’s how good the armour should be. You shouldn’t be a free kill if someone decides to have a pop around the gun.

11 Likes

Was going to buy a premium today.

Was going to get the type-90 fuji.

Then I remembered what gaijin did to the challenger 2 and decided not to.

5 Likes

All I can say to that is “good lad”

Although I must admit I find the whole CR3 debacle interesting. They’re willing to nerf the engine based on the production variant (when irs called the TD for a reason) but aren’t willing to add Spall Liners, or a half decent turret armour array… hmmmmm

7 Likes

Yeah, I’m not rewarding their behaviour.

I have a simple motto :

When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

I.e Not giving them the benefit of the doubt, they’ve shown their hand.

2 Likes

i can’t lie i don’t even play the CR2 anymore i just go out in the fox full of bushes scout a bunch of T-80 (they are 90% oblivious due to them having a helping hand through the game made them shit players) and then get in the harrier or tornado and lob mav’s and PGM’s respectively. Pantsirs aren’t a problem because most of them have so little brain power they can barely maintain consciousness. its pretty fun seeing them rage in chat from a 21km PGM.

2 Likes

Filling the SEAD role for your team can be some of the most fufilling gamneplay war thunder offers, the amount of pantsirs (and ka 50s who cant flare my pgm) rage at me for being “CAS cancer” is actually funny, especially when you check and see that all ive killed is spaa all game.

4 Likes

The TES in particular is quite bad, the 2F offers essentially the same protection and is 5t less. I actually didn’t even spade the TES until about 3 weeks ago, when I have had the 2E, BN and 3TD spaded for quite some time. It sucks because they are such interesting and aesthetically cool vehicles, but UK just can’t catch a break. (Both in game and IRL tbh)

1 Like

Final nail?? Na mate the final shovel of dirt, the challenger was dead and buried long ago lol

1 Like

Exactly the same reason i didn’t get the same tank funny enough lol