Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion (Part 1)

ironic really, im a funeral director so its only fitting that i play it lol

2 Likes

Have someone come in and read the poor thing its last rites.

It would go a little like this-
Ladies and Gentlemen, friends, tank enthusiasts, and those of you who just came for the free snacks,

We gather here today to bid farewell to a true heavyweight in the world of armored warfare, the Challenger 2 tank. The Challenger 2 wasn’t just any tank; it was the tank. The kind of tank other tanks aspired to be, the kind that could crush a Prius without even spilling its tea.

From the rolling hills of Salisbury Plain to the sandy stretches of Iraq, the Challenger 2 made its mark. Not just on the battlefield, but also on the hearts of those who knew it. With its 120mm rifled gun, it was a force to be reckoned with. It wasn’t just about blowing things up; it was about blowing things up with style, precision, and a little bit of British charm.

This tank had a personality. It was the James Bond of armored vehicles. Smooth, reliable, and could take out the bad guys without breaking a sweat. It had more armor than a medieval knight and more firepower than a Michael Bay movie. And let’s not forget, it had a sense of humor. Yes, that’s right. Remember that time it broke down in the middle of a training exercise, only to start up again the moment the recovery vehicle arrived? Classic Challenger 2.

In its prime, the Challenger 2 was known for its impeccable manners. It always said “please” and “thank you,” even as it rumbled across the battlefield. It had a way of making friends wherever it went, even if those friends were other tanks that it had just outgunned. And who could forget its love for tea breaks? No matter the situation, it always found time to brew a perfect cuppa, proving that you can take the tank out of Britain, but you can’t take Britain out of the tank.

But all good things must come to an end. The Challenger 2 has retired, not because it couldn’t keep up, but because it knew when to bow out gracefully. It leaves behind a legacy of invincibility, a trail of vanquished foes, and a lot of really cool explosion videos on YouTube. It will be remembered not just as a tank, but as a legend.

And yet, there was another twist in the Challenger 2’s tale. A cruel, unexpected twist. For you see, it wasn’t an enemy shell or mechanical failure that brought about its untimely end. No, it was something far more insidious: a game developer named Gaijin.

In the virtual world of War Thunder, Gaijin Entertainment had the audacity to misrepresent our beloved Challenger 2. They tweaked its stats, made it vulnerable in ways it never was, and left it underperforming against foes it would easily dispatch in real life. Oh, the humiliation! It was like seeing James Bond tripping over his own shoelaces in a high-stakes poker game. Gamers worldwide were left shaking their heads, asking, “How could they do this to our noble Challenger?”

In the digital realm, the Challenger 2 was nerfed, debuffed, and generally mistreated until it was but a shadow of its real-world self. Gaijin, with their code and pixels, dealt a blow that no enemy tank ever could. It was a travesty of the highest order, a virtual betrayal of our valiant hero.

So let’s raise a glass – or a mug of tea, in true Challenger 2 fashion – to this mighty machine. May it rust in peace, parked in that great tank depot in the sky, where the fuel is endless, the terrain is smooth, and the targets are always in range.

Farewell, Challenger 2. You were more than just steel and firepower; you were a testament to British engineering, and you’ll always have a place in our armored hearts. And to Gaijin, we say, “You may have tarnished its digital legacy, but the real Challenger 2 will forever remain undefeated.”

19 Likes

Let’s say that, when it literally can’t keep up with its 1200hp engine

1 Like

British mains praising and salivating over what is undoubtedly and factually the worst 3rd generation western MBT will never cease to be funny to me.

2 Likes

leave me alone im grieving! have you no heart!

1 Like

Please say you don’t take war thunder as fact! especially when it literally won the NATO tank competition. Challenger 2 tank triumphs in Nato competition ahead of Leopard and Abrams tanks

4 Likes

That’s just one of the many competitions that happened over the last 3 decades. The Leopard 2, Leclerc and Abrams all have won many more competitions than the Challenger 2. For instance, the Leclerc own the Lynx 6 competition in 2019. What you’re doing is called “nitpicking”.

Trials are a better reflection of tank’s capabilities and the Greek trials were absolutely humiliating for the Challenger 2. And yet, the upgraded Challenger 2E version was trialed … Here’s a compelling excerpt :
The Challenger 2E was a bad surprise, although the version tested also carried the modern Europack assembly. Frequent breakdowns were found in the extreme transmissions, i.e. problems transmitting the engine’s power to the drive infrastructure. This seems to be justified at first sight by the fact that the British Challenger 2s carry a 1,200bhp engine versus the Europack’s 1,500, but it was obvious that no serious work had been done to integrate the new powertrain into the tank. Its much-vaunted armor was another negative surprise, being heavy and providing less protection than the LEO 2A5S and M1A2, but only marginally better than the Leclerc.

It scored the lower out of all the MBTs trialed in pretty much all metrics.

The Challenger 2 is failed MBT from a design and a procurement point of view. It never was a good MBT and it never will be …

2 Likes

That was beautifully fitting.

1 Like

I could say your nitpicking competitions and trials where the challenger didn’t do so well, it goes both ways

1 Like

Well do it then. Show me trials where the Challenger 2 beat all the competition, made all the other MBTs bite the dust then.

1 Like

[quote=“totolescargo, post:9620, topic:20371”]
For instance, the Leclerc own the Lynx 6 competition in 2019
[/quote] Weird choice using a Competiton the challenger 2 didnt participate in as evidence of it being bad, why not choose from competition it did like Challenger 2 tank triumphs in Nato competition ahead of Leopard and Abrams tanks, https://www.natomultimedia.tv/app/asset/624742 or this one where it was a Draw between Leclerc and CR2 in a ROF/Acc competition

And the only documents ive seen really rip it apart were the Greek export attempt and the Swede trials both of which were using incredibly rushed Challenger 2E models.

Another odd statement considering its design is what has saved its crews again and again, procurement? im not really sure i’d call that a failure outside of the Export sales but then again very hard to compete in a tank export market flooded with Abrams and Leopards which are cheaper by nature of scale of producton number.

6 Likes

Well said.

Hasn’t it occurred to you that if the MoD can’t gather the resources to provide a properly prepared Challenger 2E model for the trials … TWICE, then perhaps the Challenger 2E is simply a terrible MBT ? lol

Arguing with Brits mains is worse than talking to a brick wall …

More importantly why are talking about the export variant that would have a different armour composition similar to the abrams export variant. The E was also rushed to trials When the Challenger 2E was returned the FCS was tested and found in good order. It was found that the main gun had soot and debris in the barrel. This was because the Greeks had been supplied with the old Challenger 1’s L23 APFSDS for the trials and as such the old L14A2 case charge, which was a modified for desert weather L14A1 and had been so hurriedly manufactured that WNC-supplied L8 combustible cases were modified to meet urgent deliveries for the Gulf War. It was the old L14A2 case charges that had been responsible for the debris in the barrel and fouling the shots fired in Greece… But we’ll gloss over that

3 Likes

Well thanks for ignoring 2 of the points entirely.

It had and have you considered that the Challenger 2 was always going to be a hard sell and would always require a fair amount of work to get it export ready, as was the case for Oman.

I think its fair to say the Challenger 2 is a EXPORT failure. But not a failure of a MBT, and if you sincerly think it is then your just ignoring the times where its design has clearly come through and saved the crew which is ultimately in my opinion the most important feature of a MBT designed around its protection.

4 Likes

Ah i remembered there being something fishy with the Greek trials i just couldnt remeber the specifics, but that explains that one. thanks for the info.

2 Likes

And the audacity to call me a British main when I’ve finished multiple ground tree’s lmao, I’ve wanted the Abrams, leclerc’s, type 90s, Leopards all buff’d to perform as they should.

its ok brother, you already murdered him in verbal combat. You may lay down your linguistic sword.

i mean yeah its funny being called a brit main when ive been playing Japan,Sweden, France and the US the past few months and only touched the UK for the AVRE event as it was easier to grind by just using the Fox + GR.7 combo at top tier to grind score.

1 Like