Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion (Part 1)

It should be 28, as per all the shots in loader hand reach

same as 3TD is fine.

Yeah 64,000 and 74,800 are the two operational weighs off the top of my head.

64 is DL1 only with fuel and ammo(and Cr3 expected empty weight), 74,800 is DL2H/2I+full load

Yes, point being you need to compare operating weights.

1 Like

The whole baseplate material arguement is one that i’m far too busy playing Helldivers 2 to get into, but it’s going to be a case of opinion and which Gaijin prefers.

Steel is both far cheaper to purchase and machine, provides higher protection, and matches the closest to the rough calculations I provided.

In my opinion, the MOD would not use aluminium in the backing plate for Challenger 2, and the left over weight when using aluminium is far too high to properly portion out across the different pieces of equipment (it leaves you with the weight of 2 cars unaccounted for, whereas the steel gives you a far smaller margin from the expected weight).

It’s not a part of CR2 i’ve particularly researched admittedly (mostly because I find that whole part, incredibly boring lmao) and would rather just work on the ASPRO-HMT bricks themselves

6 Likes

Also the Leg calculations excluded the side plates. But first we need to find their thicness out

My calculations accounted for the screens at the bottom of the plates, the plates themselves, the ASPRO-HMT bricks, the mine plate, and other major components

no no, let me get a picture of what im talking about

It’s not tho?

It’s two cars worth of weight from what I recall?

1 Like

You used the wrong base weight of 62.5, and excluded the OES appliqué hull side armour

With the 64T weight, with aluminium you have a 4.5 tonne remaining budget. Steel would eat into this massively. It’s just not possible to have a steel plate here + all of the Dorchester armour too.

Which is what you want. You want a value to be as close to the end expected number as possible. 4+ tonnes left over, is an absolutely insane amount of weight to go unaccounted.

3 Likes

Not the backplate debate again…

4.5 Tonnes, which goes towards the appliqué sides, the Dorchester block on the lfp, the upper front plate add-on. The turret side blocks, the ecm amongst a few other things…

That said - you’re welcome to go in and redo my work if you’d like. Gunjob wanted a rough breakdown of the weights which is what I provided. Its not designed to be a full material analysis.

1 Like

@Legwolf plates you can see here

They seem to be part of 2H 2H 2I or OES, most lokely they were there since 2G
Plateless for comparasion

2 Likes

Truth be told, i’ve essentially lost interest in War Thunder as a whole and making the game better - I only check in on the forum when i’m at work.

Seeing how the game has essentially not changed in 13 years, the developers stubbourness towards making anything fun, the inconsistancy of it all, the amount of emphasis the game places on monetisation and the predatory nature of it - I’d rather just play a game that I have fun with, and don’t have to fight tooth and nail for a developer to make something playable, while artificially buffing and nerfing vehicles with no consistant rhyme or reason.

It’s grown tiresome for me and I just want to play video games that I enjoy.
For me? This ain’t it anymore. Maybe i’ll return one day, maybe not. I do hope the developers change the game for the better but I dunno, man.

Goodluck all you CR2 folks. Just don’t put in too much work, when your efforts rarely even get a thanks. Take care of yourselves and your happiness first and foremost.

15 Likes

I know, and the effort you put in was admirable, I just don’t think it suggests steel is used on the plate, I might go over it at some point but my priorities are the big armour things rn.

1 Like