Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion (Part 1)

Have any of you guys noticed that when you take a apds loadout in the chieftain mk3 or maybe the mk5 there still appears to be 3 hesh shells in the rear of the turret?

suspected that might be the case. I’ve done a bug report but it’s apparently intended as, it appears, the game can’t handle changing the Damage/X-ray model based on ammunition loaded.

Ohh… In other words gaijin are unwilling to have it coded properly because it only affects Britain.

1 Like

mysteriously all the other MBTs ive had a nose at are either treated as single piece ammunition that can or can’t explode, most nations have the Sabot type one piece, which i have no idea and dont really care too much. the exceptions being russia and china because… NATO things?

and we all know how reliable at exploding Russian ammo can be when hit

ours are the only tanks around that BR, which specifically models HESH/different types of rounds internally(with the exception of the M1 at 10.3 which has 3 HE rounds modelled?) which is curious… why don’t Russia have a consignment of HE and APFSDS rounds modelled? Why not the Germans? Why not… everyone but Britain?

further to this…
“The game cannot separate types of projectiles in X-ray. Not an error at this time.” - Incorrect behaviour of Ammunition on British MBTs using HESH // Gaijin.net // Issues

But… it has?
Unless i’m missing what’s being said

Green denoting Sabots, Red denoting HESH and Blue denoting Propellant… the X-ray has separated types of projectiles in the Challenger… for some reason.

I honestly just think it a lazy gaijin exc, because it only affects one nation they don’t actually give a fk, i mean how many years has the stormer been broken now? It’s just another issue for Britain to continue to be ignored.

“Nah comrade your ammunition isn’t broken at all”
https://streamable.com/vsvinf

It is, quite frankly, damning when your Ammo explodes despite it likely being inert in actual real life, but then in game they don’t have “sufficient evidence” or “the game engine doesn’t allow”

Well point 1 go look yourself, RDX is known to be relatively stable as far as explosives go, and point 2 you literally make the engine that the game uses… go figure…

What infuriates me with Gaijin is their obstinacy. it doesn’t take a genius to figure out, documents or not, that it wouldn’t take 25 seconds to replenish the ammunition racks, but of course, we must have document proof because god forbid we try to make our vehicles competitive

Smin’s response to a post on the Stormer being garbage
"The tank is based on all available information and reported sources that have been submitted via reports.

If you have some material you would like to submit if you suspect something is incorrect, feel free to make a report"

Videos aren’t permitted because “tHeY mIgHt’Ve bEen eDiTeD”, Thales’s own page claims “highly accurate and resistant to countermeasures” and also claims that “The fire control system has incorporated significant improvements in target tracking” which on its own doesn’t provide much, but implies the system is self tracking - you designate the target, and so long as it remains within LOS of the launcher during flight, it will hit and kill the target

Yet, for some reason, all of that conveniently goes by the wayside.

4 Likes

Not an error atm.
Well it is an error, they just can’t fix it at the moment. I dont get why they always close the tickets like this, they should really just have a system or option like “reviewed in the future” instead.

If its a limit of the game, surely thats a bug as well and they should make it possible to fix.

3 Likes

We aim to have the most accurate damage models possible for our vehicles in game… Meanwhile our game engine hasn’t been coded to differentiate between ammo types.

1 Like

so this issue has been present since chally 1 rework ?
https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/ZpyYgb7LuOww

Just found this bug report, lets give it some more ‘i have the same issue’
https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/tJknKGoatN1g

1 Like

Yea, we got a report by Legwolf that talks about the same thing, and is passed

4 Likes

Yes, that is correct

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/EOBDXCu2pHDl
https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/S3xGexRIXPBx

2 Likes

Could somebody report this for CR2/3 please, thanks

Another day, more CR2 bs.

Twice in the same match.

Shoot Click-Bait, take out engine, he makes a snapshot…Breech, Turret drive, 2 crew members, Second shot im killed, crew knocked out.

Respawn.

Leo2A4 hurtling accross the map, i shoot, ‘ricochet’.
He makes a snapshot, whilst travelling at speed…loose my breech.

how
fkn
long
does
gaijin
need
to
fix
this
glaring
problem.

Every other MBT in this game has a more survivable mantlet.

I really dont beleive that the devs are sat there thinking this is fine, and as per the IRL CR2.

4 Likes

Was in my to-do list however my searching returned no definitive figures for what sort of effectiveness. We could expect, at minimums, protection from shrapnel, and small arms (5.56 and probably 7.62) in the torso area however I don’t have proof on that other than that account.

I’ll do some digging tonight and see what I can turn up, but I suspect that all British vehicles of the correct age (Stormer, and Warrior would probably get said protection too)

Heck, an account from Toby Harnden’s “Bandit Country” -

“By 1997, troops were being issued with body armour containing a ceramic plate made from boron carbide, which could protect from a .50 calibre round… but a set of boron carbide body armour… weighed 32lbs”

Might be getting desperate, and I have no idea if that armour set was ever used by Tank Crews.

2 Likes

Here’s what I found:

2 Likes

Coolio. I’ll draft something up and see if I can get anything on that Boron Carbide armour plate. It’s not impossible the tankies used it, though the same quotation states that they found it impractical to wear while patrolling at all and couldn’t wear them for sustained periods of time standing.

Somewhere in that challenger 2 range incident where the crew members diedthere’s mention of the stang level protection of the vests worn by the crews.

1 Like