[Bug/Issue] Plane gunsights aren't calibrated to convergence?

While playing air sim mode a friend and I noticed that the cockpit gunsights are not properly calibrated to the selected convergence. We were using convergences of 150-200m with vertical targeting (VT) both on/off. The bullets always would fly through the gunsight very low and nowhere close to the center.

I did some testing and created a video to help show the problem.

In the attached vid I show conv settings from 200-500m with VT on/off. At the bottom of the vid you’ll see the currently selected conv settings. It seems like the gunsights are calibrated to be around 400-500m + VT enabled, those 2 are the only settings that come close. For myself, this is way too big of a convergence for non nose guns.

I also tried flying the planes horizontally and using different planes with trike gears so they’d be more horizontal. The issue still occurs across all tests.

The Bug Report

I created a bug report on this issue and invite anyone who agrees that this is a problem to click the “You Have The Same Issue” button on the bug report and add any comments to it that you’d like.

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/poJNyMZFRdwq

I also welcome any comments on the topic to be posted here, including any that critique the problem and/or my test methods. Any critiques will help me create a better more thorough bug report in hopes that it will be fixed faster.

1 Like

From what i understand sights are made to convergence for the ammunition under “ideal” situations. They are probably slightly off at base anyway but if your plane is not perfectly level at a temperature and pressure at which the convergence is calculated than the shots will not converge. This is because bullets like aircraft are subject to temperature and pressure. As the angle of your plane changes the the point of convergence will also change. This is significantly more noticeable at longer distances. I may be wrong but i believe this is how convergence is calculated. Unless gaijin calculates convergence to be temperature and pressure specific this will not change.

Having the plane angled upwards will lead to shots always falling low as gravity is reducing the bullets velocity along with air resistance.

The exact same results are replicated in all test cases regardless of being horizontal on the runway (using a trike plane) or if flying perfectly level/stable. The bullets will fall almost half way down the gunsight when set to 100m convergence + VT on, I think the bullets would not be effected by gravity and unable to pass through the gunsight at that distance?

To further clarify,
When set to convergence 200m+VT on, the bullets fall very low on the reticule.
When set to convergence 400m+VT on, the bullets almost pass through the center of the reticule.
This all shown in the video.
Given this situation, how are the bullets being effected by pressure/temperature/gravity and pass thru the gunsight when set to 400m but when set to 100m they fall low of the gunsight?

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised if convergence is bad just because gaijin fucked it up and hasn’t altered it in years.

To be thorough I used a trike plane that replicates a horizontal+stable plane. Comparing to the first video, it seems the problem is replicated.

We can see that at 100m+VT the bullets pass very low not close to center. I think it’s reasonable to say that attitude/gravity/temperature/pressure is not the cause of the problem.

If anyone has any other input please let me know.