British Weapon Systems - Technical data and discussion

PGMs were an after thought and we got it iirc cause gunjob found evidence that it could carry it.

otherwise the GR.1 was always gonna have the worst engines because we were getting another tornado which turned out to be the f.3, fairly certain this was said by smin, but i know this was the answer we got.

So why doesnt italy with the Tornado ADV have weaker engines on their IDS?

because italy got their ADV way later, i think it was 2 updates afterwards, while the brits got theirs in the next one

Perhaps its worth asking the same question here aswell, perhaps any of you know! :)

2 Likes

A friend just sent me this image. I cant verify it, I have no information about it but…

IMG_20240412_205049_915

Prototype Vulcan with 12x Aim-54s

9 Likes

YES YES YES, a hundred times YES!

It seems it was considered but never got further than that drawing

Ah damn

My god, it’s weapon to surpass metal gear. I would cream for this. Imagine having 4 9gs and 10 or so phoenixes. Would be a menace in sim or air rb.

Would likely have air-spawn too

More on ROMOR ERA from Jane’s Defence Weekly (1 APRIL 1995)

Spoiler

8 Likes

Haven’t seen this video here yet.

2 Likes

iirc its those weird pods on the F-5E, the ALE-40

IIRC each dispenser is either 30 chaff packets or 15 flares. you can replace 1 flare for 2 chaff.

Look I get the PGMs might be good but, you literally have to be in clear weather and daytime for them to work, and even then I’ve heard of them conking out or just not having the reach.

It depends on which series of flares Gaijin models; the earlier (and larger) 2x1x8" MJU-7/B Family or later M206 (1x1x8")

The former should have half the count of the latter, but there are much more advanced variants like the MJU-47 (which includes kinematic propulsion to help delay the onset of some types of IRCCM) or the MJU-50 & -51 (2x1x8") which do not produce light in the visual spectrum and so are hard to detect and so useful for pre-flaring since they can’t be detected with night vison or thermals.

The F-4E’s (and their derivatives) are a special case (due to flares being a bolt on item) where their ALE-40 CM dispenser can only take at most 40 units of flares of the 60 total units of available space available, and since it uses the 2x1x8" size flares there should be a maximum of 20 releases due to how the dispensers are zoned (each set of dispensers has a 20 unit and a 10 unit zone, which must be uniformly loaded between types of CM (Flare, Chaff, (EM) Noisemaker))

The ALE-29 used on USN F-4s is otherwise unimpacted

1 Like

Surface launched ASRAAM go weeeeeeeeee

https://x.com/osinttechnical/status/1781938098881827183?s=61&t=Drs1DV7KT-RUjGFGLKVBaw

5 Likes

HOLY SHIT THAT TURN.

If that can be authenticated that is utterly insane.

Cheers for the absolute eye candy.

No wonder they didn’t care for the thrust vectoring P3I…

2 Likes

Can’t see the arc of the turn but you can see the Supacat and its similar launch.

5 Likes

Launch seen from Hawkeye and a bit of the pull.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1200111907516985482/1205185025352671322/ssstwitter.com_1707408864750.mp4?ex=6633bc05&is=66214705&hm=7647a95db53e859ad76dfadfa573db8c42f2eb4fed1e3ad6d57de0ecd4f06b78&

1 Like

Damn the drones in WT were so popular they made it into reality.

2 Likes

@Gunjob @DevilO6 @HyJetV thanks, looks like ASRAAM has no shortage of maneuverability.

The ground launches also put into perspective just how fast those things are.

Yeah its a big rocket motor. And is manoeuvrable enough that the proxy fuse is largely secondary and impact is the normal method of kill.

Spoiler

Motor section can be seen here;

Spoiler

2 Likes