British Weapon Systems - Technical data and discussion

What will Gaijin make Martel look like? Can we destroy tanks?

Yes

it is just another pgm or new mechanism?

New WIP we will see how it works in the dev stream

Could we get an GR.1B tornado modification to get the martels on the Tornado?

1 Like

GR.1B was a modification for Sea Eagle rather than Martel

IIRC AR Martel was considered early in Tornado’s career but never integrated because the RAF really wanted to replace them with new missiles (Sea Eagle replacing TV Martel and ALARM replacing AR Martel)
There’s some 1980s Tornado marketing stuff mentioning both the TV and AR version of Martel as potential armaments, and AR Martel was probably still an interim option while ALARM was being developed. But it’s never been clear how Tornado would have employed the datalink pod for TV Martel.

Why ask for something we have

Oh yeah sorry you’re totally right I mixed up sea eagle and Martel, sorry

What’s the small tube infront of the Martel? Sonar bouy?

It does look like one.

What’s funny is that it’s the Jaguar Gr1B modification though

Yes, typical gaijin c&p moment

1 Like

Yes, a SSQ-981 air-launched passive sonobuoy for Nimrod and Merlin
https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/documents/LargePrintGuides/The%20RAF%20in%20an%20Age%20of%20Uncertainty.pdf#page=30

2 Likes

Like this my guy;

7 Likes

NATO secret!!! Mods ban him!!! :)

Do you know if the Martels will come to over vehicles in the tree in the update, or will they come later/ not at all?

4 Likes

I have a feeling its going to be a case

“We have yet to decide, we’ll see how they will perform on the buc first”

kind of situation, but I guess they’ll say in the dev stream

So what all planes currently in game can carry Martels?

The TV-guided AJ 168 Martels were only carried operationally by Buccaneer and Nimrod. So Buccaneer S.2B is the only dead cert.

Sea Vixen was the trials airframe used to fire both variants of Martel during development, but it was a specially-equipped FAW.1 operated by A&AEE at Boscombe Down, where what we have in War Thunder is a regular Fleet Air Arm FAW.2.
As Gunjob posted above, Tornado GR.1 is a strong candidate on the basis of documents saying it was intended to carry both versions of Martel.
There’s also a not-so-strong case for Phantom FGR.2 (F-4M), but Phantom never had a proven Anti-Ship role in British service. There’s just this scanned image that is of AFAIK unknown origin
Ed:- it’s from McDonnell’s internal report on UK Phantom development B617
https://img-forum-wt-com.cdn.gaijin.net/original/2X/6/6835b5410b99e553f48417e7d5055f9e3c3463a8.jpeg

You’ll notice these are all twin-seater (or more) aircraft because during the terminal phase of the missile’s flight, AJ 168 was meant to be guided towards a selected impact point by an operator looking at the seeker’s TV-footage.

Owing to the fact it was completely fire-and-forget, the AS.37 Anti-Radiation version of Martel was to be carried by more aircraft including single-seaters such as Harrier GR.1/GR.3/FRS.1 and Jaguar in addition to the above. But so far it’s not clear we’ll get ARMs in War Thunder.

Vulcan and Victor also carried the ARM in addition to all the previously mentioned aircraft.

4 Likes

I hope this is the next step towards getting ARM though

1 Like

So does anyone know if the Buc S2B got any other upgrades besides the loadout and intergrated CMs. Like a new cockpit?