BAe Sea Harrier - Technical data and discussion

think i had one were Germany was on my side, or maybe Sweden. there are quite a few countries with mig 21s so maybe they missed one.

Also you can get a map where the friendly recon aircraft is a MiG-21. I learned that one the hard way in a GR.7

Yeah I’ve read Sharkey’s book on the conflict, does make me laugh that if they hadn’t of grounded the Mirages then it probably would have been a different outcome for the muerte negra.

I’ve been playing Sim, all I play on console and that’s where I was just getting gutted by Frogfoots out-turning me and obliterating me with R-73 and R-60Ms.

As someone said previously, just dumps energy in any sort of turn.

Yeah, their energy retention is far lower than I’d expect. Especially for an aircraft with a TWR over 1

(Page 46, sea harrier over the Falklands by Sharkey Ward)

Any good primary sources to back this up maybe for a bug report. Fairly certain it’s a very sooty engine in game and fairly easy to spot if I’m not mistaken. Would be a decent buff for SB.

5 Likes

I call it IFF smoke, because i can always tell its a harrier when i see it. Very helpful in sim lol

Yeah, it does do that, but it also does the opposite for the other team

1 Like

Devs might have some confusion on how smokey Harrier engines are resulting from images/footage of the Harrier in a hover, where the engine efflux can indeed be quite dirty. AFAIK that’s down to the water injection during hover, as it’s also what makes the engines on e.g. B-52 very smokey during take off

4 Likes

this’ll be the “active” bit of the Active Radar Homing

I’ve been lucky, with just one occasion where i’ve been TKed on Dev with ARHs, and I’ve scored none of my own. Scored one with the 9L/M (because seeker things)

the Seeker will probably lock the closest target, or most prominent.

I’ve not had a single TK yet, though SB does train you to have good shot discipline. I think both of the times i’ve been TKed have been because I was within proximity of the intended target (around 500m) and the missile has just gotten confused. Definetly something i’ll bare in mind when commiting my own attacks or when firing close to another target. Maintain a hard lock rather than relying solely on TWS (especially as TWS in cyclic selection mode likes to jump around, even to teammates)

1 Like

Could sources like this be enough to bug report the smokey exhaust?

1 Like

I went digging and found this:

6 Likes

Awesome. I’ll get to work on a bug report, unless you want the honours?

If not, can I use that source? and can you send me the details for it so I can include it in the report

2 Likes

Watching this video with some 80’s retro-synthwave going on in the background was an experience…

A great experience though.

2 Likes

You can take the lead on this one.

1 Like

1 Bug report created:

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/nL08Lex7fUDv

3 Likes

now this would be something, im planning to give the sea harrier another try in sim. practise for the long proccess of spading the shar as i will not be touching rb for a good while after the update. although after playing the tornado again i am torn on what to get first as i think ive finally found a playstyle that works for the tornado while im still stumped for the sea harrier.

stock 9Li please

1 Like

Sea Harrier didn’t use 9L(i)

Im planning SHar solely because it can take bombs, F3 cant making it the more effecient grinder in Sim.

But yeah, neither are going to be fun until at least nearly spaded in ARB

But if in doubt with the SHar FRS1, stick on Damping and fly it like you would the F3. Use it like a BVR truck. It works great like that. Though if we get the radar gunsight and proper HUD for the FRS1. Im gunna be really tempted to spend a chunk of time playing that over the FA2.