BAe Sea Harrier - Technical data and discussion

Can the Sea harrier mount AIM 120 on BOL launcher mounted under wings?

Yes and there is a report in for it, its the Common Rail Launcher with a BOL modification known as “CRL/BOL”.

5 Likes

Can it also be used on the belly or is that a different mount?

different mount, the belly mounts are ejector mounts that fling the missile away from the fuselage before the missile fires it motor

note the lil hand/bracket at the fore of the missile, just before the end of the missile

5 Likes

Ah okok

can we see these changes before tomorrow’s dev service close?

I don’t have an ETA on those changes.

by the way,do gr7’ 6*AGM65G being accepted by the developers

Well, just jumped back in the FSR.1 after a while and it was a very sad affair. I love the Shar but I’m not sure how it won the Falklands.

Getting out turned and danced around by Su-39/25s with R-73s is not fun.

I was halfway through my turn after a head-on and the Su-39 had already performed their manoeuvre and was on my six. If the FA.2 has the same FM we’re in a very dire state.

1 Like

I have no idea if the FM of the shar is correct or not. but what i do know is, is that it simply cannot win a dog fight with an a4e as it is. although im sure the doctrine of the sea harriers in the Falklands wasn’t to try and get into a rate fight with an a4e but it truly hates turning.

going from the gr 3 to the FRS 1 made me think maybe the harrier was just this bad stock but even with all the mods it still just falls out the air after one turn. it feels as if it has too much drag for what it is as it still accelerate just as well but it dumps energy like a delta, although i guess stubby wings does that to a jet lol.

would be nice to know if it is accurate to irl because if so, i think it will just be a struggle bus as you cant even get too high with it due to the lack of flares unless you bring less missiles (which is what we may have to resort to).

1 Like

GR.1/3 match the performance charts in the AV-8A manuals. FRS.1 is very similar to GR.1/3 and FA.2 is very similar to FRS.1. Its pretty much correct but since I lack an ODM for FA.2 this is as good as it will get.

fair enough, although i wouldn’t say the sea harriers have a similar performance to the gr 3 in game? i love the gr 3 and i can actually dog fight in it quite well with the vffing. but the sea harrier really REALLY doesn’t like turning, all while dumping its speed. i cant remember if the gr 3 was that bad when stock but i do understand the added weight of the radar and missiles.

The big part of it is that the Argentinians were afraid to fight the CAPs. Something like 400 sorties were aborted because there was a sea harrier in the way. It was Aim-9Ls presence more than the shars performance that did that. It was believed that if Argentina had truly committed to air superiority, Britain would have had major losses. The ironic thing was that every kill with aim-9L could have been achieved with the Aim-9G (iirc)

It also helped that between the blackbuck raids and Chile,.Argentina was not committing their best fighters to the Falklands. Instead keeping them back to defend the mainland

(Check out the book “Harrier 809”)

But in WT there are other things to consider. I don’t think the mirages, daggers or a4s used by the Argentine air force had flares. And even if they did, they over perform in WT. Also that kind of furball in ARB didn’t really happen. In ASB the SHars excel both in dogfights and more importantly in using the Aim-9Ls almost like BVRs. Not everything detects your radar and you only use it in burst to locate and ID targets. After that, a 9L from behind is all that is needed, with or without flares, they won’t see it comimg usually

3 Likes

“海鹞”是如何猎杀“幻影”和“短剑”的(上) (sohu.com)

“海鹞”是如何猎杀“幻影”和“短剑”的(下)_百科TA说 (baidu.com)

its history

i remember when the frs just came out and i tried it in sim, 8 out of 10 times the radar said my friendly was an enemy lol. kinda just gave up. but yeah, in sim i could dog fight mig 21s and such just because you cant do the wacky stunts you pull in rb otherwise you just nose dive.

speaking of which, anyone got a good video on how to fly better in sim. im still terrible in jet dog fights and i dont know how to avoid the nose dip when you pull too hard without just keeping dampening on and losing the dog fight.

That would be because for the first 9 months it had the F-5Es radar that didnt have IFF. It wasnt until September last year that it got the Blue Fox radar and IFF.

I dont have any recommendations im afraid. other than practice practice and more practice.

sorry, meant to say when they had just changed the radar, back when it had a pd mode. the iff, just like the fgr 2, just isnt entirely reliable.

I am certainly practising, however i cant get better without knowing the exact reason why the nose dives. i mean i can take a pretty good guess but the problem is with how to avoid it… i may have to just learn how to fly at this rate.

Ah right… I’ve not had any issues actually. I’ve heard others have, but i’ve yet too. So im not sure what I do differently. Might just be because i spent quite a while in aircraft without radar or I was paranoid from the FGR2s radar that I just triple checked all the time and if the target didnt “smell” right. I waited for VID

pretty much, however at the br its at you get alot of mig 21s on both sides so im just sat there wondering if i should risk it or not half the time. that or an f5 as they look awfully similar from a top down perspective at a distance.

in Sim, should be no friendly Mig-21s. Probably confusing them with the F5s.