Are Bombers now too fragile to play?

This discussion is in the AB section, for which the distance is 1km AFAIK.

My gunners will almost always engage before the fighter opens fire.

It fits the discussion topic. I also regularly use the various B25s and Swedish B-18’s.

Of course weak bombers are weak - just like weak fighters are weak - but not all bombers are weak and if you choose to use bombers that are weak then that’s on you.

I choose to use bombers that I consider strong.

AB they are at least functional, in RB we get the deaf and the blind turns out.

Only if all nations actually had strong bomber options. There isnt a single “strong” british bomber as they were all meant for night operations. We should get a Mosquitto bomber ideally. But has yet too happen and I doubt it ever will.

Why are you discussing RB issues in an AB forum?

Indeed - a well known issue, but also a limited one to a particular nationality, whereas the OP is not limited to any nationality.

However even in AB I have spaded all the British bombers - it has to be said that not everyone attacks them, and they do kill bases very effectively!

Also the Wellington with a 4000lb bomb brings derp to quite a low BR for naval - very useful when a certain type of player runs Kerch’s into a bay in large numbers - you can get 5+ kills at once! :D

AB forum

Yeah we had one of those back in the day, now everything is just dumped on the front page.
Not like RB bombers have a different damage model than AB bombers.

In my opinion, one of the largest issues with bombers is their poor damage model. That doesnt change whether its AAB or ARB or ASB. Now bombers are performing poorly in AAB (by the fact of this forum thread), then they are performing significantly worse in ARB with no AI gunners at all. It may be off-topic but not entirely irrelevant.

Yeah I have most spaded and I can use them all, its just that none were designed for the kind of combat we see in WT. and contrails have only made the problem worse.

1 Like

New posts were always on the front page in the old forum too - fewer of them and in a side bar - but even there you had to note what sub forum they were in.

And there are subforums here too - don’t’ be lazy! 🙄

Boo hoo.

There isn’t a single aircraft in the game designed for the kind of combat we have in WT - not even the biplanes in Tier 1!!

1 Like

Not using dark mode I see, yeah no arguing with you, enjoy your day.

I’d disagree. I think there are a number of recorded furballs, especially during WW2 that have elements of what we see in WT. But what I mean is that what we face in WT, is “day time bombing raids” in most bombers. Some like the Ju-288 or He-111 or B-17 were very much designed for that, with good turret coverage and or decent speed.

Many British bombers were designed for Night time bombing raids. With far more limited turret coverage, only really covering the rear where night fighters would attack from, but the lack of turrets gave them a larger bomb load. For the British it was the Mosquitto with its high speed that did any day time raids.

Probably one of the reasons we’re also missing many of the British bombers (other than the fact gaijin just simply hates adding bombers to this game)

Would have loved to have seen the Albemarle, Manchester and Windsor back in the day but their likelihood of appearing now is like 1/100th chance. The British tree was lucky enough to get the Shackleton a while back.

tu4 is the only bomber that can meaningfully contribute to game only because it can kill fighters, granted the fighters that tail you are usually noobs anyway

Back in the early days (approx 2012-15) Bombers used to be sooooo fun in both arcade and realistic. I remember pain trains of fighters chasing you in arcade while you wiggled around and your turrets were actually quite dangerous., Or Bombing out really large amounts of ground forces in Air RB (helllooooo Wellington!!)

These days I still love flying bombers…but only certain ones like the HE 177, Ju 88 or the America bomber…But you dont really have any presence in the game (you will get to drop once, take out maybe 2 bases if lucky and thats it. You either land and j out, or risk another sortie depending on how well your team is doing…games dont last that long usually). I still manage to get a few kills with the gunners as a large portion of the fighter pilots chase from behind barely gaining.

But if I want to win or grind, only attackers like Blackwidows and invaders have real presence and winning potential via taking out ground forces.

Because of this I actually dont find AIR RB that fun anymore (*maybe I never really did in the first place). I use it to grind, and not much interested in fighters on fighter action While everyone is marked by HUD…I prefer my fighter plane action in Ground RB where there is no HUD.

Now Air RB enduring confrontation…that was fun.

2 Likes

Your Me264 getting lots of kills is the exception, not the rule. Not many bombers have 20mm defensive turrets and many countries dont have them at all. So you are suggesting we only play bombers that have turrets like that. It’s silly.

In the majority of cases gunners do NOT open fire before enemy fighters, unless they foolishly set their convergence for a dog-fight.

Wellington might have a 4000lb bomb, but it is slow, and has crappy defense. For it to do well you need enemies that don’t even try to intercept. Happens sometimes, but relying on that is a poor strategy.

There are some OP bombers (like the russian AR at 2.7) and many, many slow and crappy ones. ALL vehicles in the game should provide some good playability - else there’s no point in including them in the game.

Problem with British bombers isnt necessarily the coverage of the turrets. It’s the caliber of the guns. 7.77mgs just dont do enough damage to kill attackers, or even scare them off. They don’t have the range nor the penetration. They are like pea-shooters compared to what the enemy is strafing you with.

Yeah, that is very true. apart from pilot sniping, they only really do damage sub 300m

Yeah no, you just want to have fun and earn massive SL in your premium 0 input interceptor that requires no particular skill to fly, let alone play. Bar pressing “Spawn” button and pushing your mouse up and right or left slightly when the rest of the playerbase has to actually stick their right hand to their mouse and the bombers have to think far ahead of time to even survive.

If this actually happens, all BRs will be much more lively- we can go back to the 1h long ARB matches like the old days, so bombers can continue doing long term plays, and fighters can, if they want to pass up free lawnmowing, chase after them if they’re so inclined to waste their own time and complain about it.

We do not need more interceptor spawns, and interceptors need to spawn further back then they already do. Bombers do not need countering as they’re free SL&RP pinatas to the point where many people will rather wingrip than hand out a free kill. Fighters need to be made to obtain some skill in taking down bombers, and as such, bombers need a portion of their old damage resistance back, and at least 800m gunners in ARB, even if they aren’t very accurate, to punish no-skill fighter mafia kids from just creeping up slowly on the tail. 230m for maxed gunners is absolutely punitive for no reason.

If we increased fighter interceptor spawns, then bombers would require 2013 damage models and full range back, including accuracy.

The oft-quoted ‘but spaceclimbers’ excuse is not a valid excuse. My most fun games were flying NOE in a Ki-67, laughing hysterically at the enemy team looking for me at 8k. Who’s the one space climbing? The fighters. It’s such a myth that fighter mafia kids are overreliant on Blind Hunt and Avenger’s quasi-wallhack, which is to the detriment of everyone. The fighters never learn to use their mk1 eyeballs, and no bomber that wants to, y’know, actually play (which is all of them) gets to.

Furthermore, “space climbing” is not a thing to begin with. It’s the altitude the bomber was meant to fly at. If you’re not in a plane meant to fly that high, just lawnmow. It’s free SL&RP. Bonus: We get to have dogfights at reasonable altitudes, too, instead of watching 90% of a match dive for one attacker on the deck and then getting mauled by the one guy intelligent enough to not do that and maintain altitude.

3 Likes

You have a crying problem? Doesn’t excuse sitting on a bomber’s tail, dying, and then whining ‘bombers op!!!’

Pray tell though I do wonder what you think could be nerfed about it that would pass historical accuracy?

To say nothing of the fact that there’s nothing you can do to nerf you literally never seeing me, because I’m not flying a predictable flight path right at your base.

But then, you didn’t read the post, because it disagrees with you, and you can’t countenance any disagreeing with the fighter mob.

The best tip I can give bomber players is don’t play bombers, you’re just a free kill to fighters/interceptors and bombing gives no benefits whatsoever, gaijin made them completely inviable because fighter players are legitimately brain damaged

4 Likes