Any good way to learn fly in sim?

Im on mouse and keyboard. I aready watched few tutorials, but non of them helped. Every say to use different things and so on. When i try to use Mouse joystick controls, even slight move feel so sensitive. When i use relatice controls, any movements with mouse to little to no movement with plane/jet.

Plus the fact that i set key binding for SA and trimming, but when i press them, nothing happens, not even a text appear on bottom of the screen.

1 Like

What plane are you learning to fly with?

I recommend working your way up using twin-engine planes as this balances the engine torque and other forces causing you to rotate and turn on the runway.

For trimming, it differs between planes. Some planes cannot be trimmed in a live gime and you must set up your trim in test flight, save it with trim fixation and it will be automatically done. This represents the ground crew adjusting your trim tabs. This is the case for many german WWII props.

I cannot comment for jets inside Warthunder. However, fighter planes especially after Fly-By-Wire was invented are inherently unstable and their aerodynamic center and center of mass are very close and will likely be too difficult to fly without previous flight sim experience. It might be a good idea to muck around with propeller planes for a bit to learn on a more forgiving platform. The P-39 makes learning landings easier due to tricycle gear while the P-51 and F6F hellcat are in generally very forgiving.

I did most of my learning in the P-51 for Warthunder, although my first exposure to flight sims was KSP FAR

For the act of learning itself - you should do the new player tutorials but in sim mode. They helped me quite a bit!

Afterwards, muck around in test flight and try to shoot down balloons/AI bombers and stuff.

Finally, load a custom battle and try to hunt AI planes there and do some CAS on the howitzers and AAA.

For me, these controls feel just perfect:

The “Square” setting I found to be crucial. It helps you better separate rudder and aileron control over circle set-up.

Sensitivity is fairly low, and I use my mouse on a medium DPI setting.

Also, it’s a good idea to look at general aviation instructional videos for propeller planes. Learning how to keep your plane coordinted can help you avoid flat spins and get a decent bit of speed boost. Converesely, learning how to forward slip without stalling can help you rapidly lose altitude and speed for easier landings without a long lead.

5 Likes

Thanks. Little bit late for me so i will go though it next day. But i thank you very much for helping.

You must fly and adjust everything to your liking, there isn’t one universal setup for example i use both keyboard, mouse and xbox controller. I would recommend for adjusting settings some stable counter rotating props and early jets.

Start with an early jet. E.g. F-86 Sabre or Mig-15. They are one of the easiest planes to fly. No prop torque, good landing gear, very stable.

And in case you have a good controller lying around(PS4/Xbox ONE or newer), try the controller setup.
There are some really, really good sim players that kick the butts of 90% of the playerbase and fly with controller.

Just look for setup tutorials on youtube (from Nimbal or Talon_Invictus)

I suggest using relative control for small adjustments and WASD/QE keys for steering. You can change the of the relative control sensitivity. If you are flying mid/late coldwar or modern jets you can also use SAS: Damping to stabilise your plane.

I can highly recommend using a controller for sim, xbox or playstation works

Practice, then practice some more and then once you’ve done that. Practice again.

I dont think there is any true substitute to just sheer practice. Spending a decent amount of time getting controls set up for you is a good step one. But Step 2 is just building muscle memory and experience (even with a HOTAS that took me a good few months before I felt competant playing the game again)

A setting to be aware of though, and this does not work on every aircraft (mostly those above 9.3 ish) is SAS mode. This applies damping imputs to your controls and helps even out mistakes you made. But this does come with the added difficulty of dealing with the better aircraft.

I used to loved flight sims and military flight games years ago.I have to say the physics of flight in this game is appalling on the X Box .I can fly better in reality.

Can I ask those of you who have other flying games and sims how War Thunders flight physics compares to other games around currently ? is it just X box that has terrible physics or does PC War Thunder have it as well?

In my experience it seems comparable to Microsoft Flight Sim X Steam Edition. . At least when it comes to general flight-feel. This is probably not that big of a bar given the whole “Hot air baloon, do a vertical!” meme I imaigne, given each plane exists in a “vacuum” with precomputed/scripted response to flight conditions - some planes may be more and some may be less accurate.

So, it’s probably best to compare specific planes vs specific planes.

But my experience is also weird as most of my flight simming is done using KSP FAR with emphasis on trying to do IFR/IMC landings in weird locations.

Another aspect is flight physics vs flight controls. Some planes on paper fly well, but the control settings for it are… overtuned. Spitfires seem infamous in being way too responsive when flown compared to the real thing to the point they’re painful to fly unless you mess with linearity a lot. I’ve seen it argued this is in part because the real life thing had a decent sized yoke while most folk use small fist or two fist sized joysticks.

1 Like

I found video like this to help and it’s good but I found that what helps with ARB does not work with CAS in GRB. With CAS I find I need a stable platform but in PVP in ARB I need the mobility.

I don’t recall having so much trouble with those older games.You cant even perform a loop with the instructor on in the xbox yet you turn the instructor off and it all turns to shit with the rest of the elementary controls simply disappearing. Its a bad system.

First, I do not play sim cause hate mouse and key control. (Taking HOTAS Warthog & CS TPR Pedal donations).

That said, I found hiding the hud / indicator in sim battles immediately helps, you spend less time focusing on the direction of your UI and more time focusing on flying.