Alvis Stormer 30

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Alvis Stormer 30 

Vehicle design history:

The Stormer 30 is a variant of the Stormer family of modular track vehicles, itself in the CRVT family. The Stormer 30 was a development of provent technology used in teh Scorpion range of light tanks, that are capable in theory and often times in practise of operating on any terrain and in any enviroment.

The vehicle was a standard Stormer fitted with a Hitfist-30 turret, giving it a crew of three. A driver, a commander/loader and a gunner, which was thought to offer a configuration that could be used for a wide range of mission roles. The fully stabalized turret was supplied by Oto Melara, and mounts a 30mm cannon, along with twin TOW missiles, with the capacity to fire on the move, offering a high tank killing capability, whilst the cannon can defeat light armour, whilst also offering a acceptable level of protection. The 30mm Cannon is the ATK Ammunition Systems Bushmater II 30mm automatic cannon, and has full 360° traverse and and an elevation from -45° to +60°.

The cannon has a rate of fire that varies from single shot to a maximum of 200 rounds per minute, and has a double feed system with 180 rounds ready to fire. The Stormer 30 is also equipt with two 7.62mm general purpose machine guns, one mounted coaxaly to the main gun with 700 rounds of ready to fire ammunition. The TOW launchers on the other hand are mounted one either side of the turret, and traverse with the turret, whilst having a elevation range of -7.5° to +30°. In addition to this two multibarrel grenade launchers are fitted to the front of the turret, in a forward arc allowing it to beploy eight smoke grenades if nessessary.

The Stormer possesses an armoured aluminium hull with spaced high hardness steel armour and spall liner. This design provides protection against up to 14.5mm machine guns, as well as mines and artillery shell splinters. This use of lightweight aluminium allows the Stormer 30 to be airlifted by a CH-53 helicopter, and its small dimensions also make it air transportable by C-130, as well as commercial truck and flatbed rolling stock. For its own propulsion, the Stormer 30 is fitted with a 5.88l, six cylinder 6B-275 engine supplied by cummings, which is able to produce 187kW at 2,600rpm. This connects to a t303 automatic transmission allowing the vehicle to achieve speeds 0 to 50km per hour in 20 seconds and from 50 to 65km per hour in 20 seconds, with an overall top speed of 50 mph (80kph).

The Stormer 30 was first displayed to the public at BAEE '97, and though it was trialled and demonstrated in both the UK and clients in the Middle East it has yet to enter service with any armed forces and remains a proof of concept, with a single working preproduction vehicle.

Vehicle specification:

Additional pictures:

Sources:

5 Likes

Any how +1 Along with the Desert Warrior both would nicely fill britains dramatically missing IFVs at higher tier.

From what Ive found this seems to have been labelled as a Stormer Prototype aswell with a Modified Scimitar turret.

5 Likes

That is not a stormer 30 prototype, its the rolling demonstrator for the CV21, i have a suggestion for it currently pending.

2 Likes

Weird it was called a stormer but heh atleast i know what it is now

2 Likes

It was an attempt by BAE to refresh the sales of their Stormer IFV product in 2012. They took lessons learned from the Scim MK.II, and it was initially intended to have a CTA 40mm.

Nice to see that someone picked up my old suggestion. definitely+1

1 Like

Aye, this is one of the easiest vehicles gaijin could add to help relive the lack of IFV’s in the british tree, and its simple tragic they have not added it, as all the components to make it are currently present in game

1 Like

+1 this thing looks like a more boxy vcc 80/30

1 Like

another picture i have found on my journeys

6 Likes

+1 for the Stormer 30 and Stormer AD, great high-tier light platforms for GB.

2 Likes

Would definitely enjoy it if this vehicle was added to the game for GB, as the Warrior with its Rarden autocannon feels just abismal going up against other IFV’s it faces, due to its slow fire rate. So having a fast firing autocannon with the addition of TOW missles would be a significant upgrade.

Two additional pics of this. Big +1

stormer-30_sdlkjl

Screenshot_1

1 Like

+100, how have I never seen this suggestion before!
This as TT with the Desert Warrior as squadron are urgent additions!

…nah both tt, dont you dare ask flr my beloved desert warrior as a squadron