Air RB base respawning

I did not stop times, but I can confirm that the bases spawn slower. Multiple times today, 2 or 3 bombers were circling the map, waiting for base respawns… we remained civil and communicated, and each time we all got our bombs on proper targets.

Also, in the discussion what is missing is the fact that some planes are not able to go after ground targets properly… think of the heavy strategic bombers, those just are not cut to do CAS and go after ground targets… So if you are in say a B-17 and are on 6000 meters - you circle and wait, and climb some more… going after tanks is just pointless, they will not be where your bomb lands even if you aimed 100% right…

1 Like

…that some of the revised Air RB Maps for props like Spain or Rhine have now insane ticket bleed/drops - a lot of matches end there after 8-10 minutes by tickets.

So i had now several matches where i saw heavies flying detours and the game ended before they were able to drop. Or i tried to separate a few fighters chasing me and the game was over before we had a dogfight…

And nobody has mentioned that they lowered the base health on some maps like on those 2 mentioned and on Rocky Pillars as you can now kill a respawning base with a lower tnt drop than on older 4 bases maps:

• With a B7A2 (having 10 x 60 kg) you can finish a respawning base hit by another B7A2 with a 800kg bomb with 1 x 60 kg and the remaining 9 x 60 kg are enough to kill a whole respawning base.

Just for comparison:

• On “older” 4 bases maps u need 13 x 60 kg or a combo of 1 x 800 and 6 x 60 kg…
  • On earlier revised maps with 3 standard bases and possibility to kill airfield like on Kursk u need the same drop like before - 9 x 60 kg are enough…

As i do not play to grind i have not checked if they have lowered the SL/RP income as a consequence - but this new feature helped me to finish 6 bases in just 3 matches, so it is useful to fulfill daily tasks quicker…

@Stona_WT can we please have the respawn set to 2 minutes at the most? Please?

1 Like

+1

As a Buccaneer and Harrier enjoyer, this has been a painful update :(

When every player rushes for bases like a starving dog, I think there needs to be a fundamental change to the air rb game mode. There need to be new objectives. Maybe the removal of ticket bleed is a good start.

1 Like

Exactly.

I wrote a short novel here about this topic.

Long story:

Summary

In May 2020 the full roll-out of maps with respawning bases altered the game play and the purpose of bombing completely. If you read the changelog of the Starfighter update - and the comments - you see that nobody realized how much these effect will alter the game play.

Basically gaijin gave up their attempts trying to find the right balance between tnt drop capability and base & airfield health. Some props like 4 B-29s or 4 Me 264s (BR 3.7 those days) could also end games very quickly - not only the F-4 E.

As a consequence bomber game play in props became borderline useless as without killing the airfield they lost their win condition. And the insane bomb load of multi-role jets combined with a much better chance to get a base or two made basebombing even more attractive with them - the respawning bases made base bombing even more attractive.

Don’t get me wrong, but bombing on maps with non respawning bases was always a thing of high risk vs high reward - killing a base was never a challenge, killing an airfield outside matches with planes with incredible bombloads was difficult in case you needed 2 - 4 runs as your chances to get killed increased with every run.

So as using jets with high bombloads solely for base bombing require objectively seen way less skill than using them vs enemy fighters - they are therefore just offering a solution to participate in Air RB without contributing to the numbers game or able to decide matches due to the lost win condition.

In other words Air RB was degraded to a grinding tool - with all consequences regarding player skill, used planes, goal of players within the match, outcome of the match, etc.

If you try to reassess Air RB prior to May 2020 - there was always a mix of passionate pilots looking for PvP action and tankers focusing on grinding with PvE actions. But there was also a kind of “natural” balance within matches as there was a common understanding that the number of more or less free SL/RP with base bombing was limited - just based on 3 non-respawning bases.

And it was obvious that sacrificing speed, positioning and flight performance with strapping on max bomb load made you an easy target, so players were forced to improve tactics and overall air combat skills in order to avoid getting shot down and leaving the match with the loser score of 135 points.

Seeing your screenshots of lobbies full of jets optimized for PvE is the same as entering a prop lobby with 9-10 Wyverns and 4 heavy bombers in your team - it puts an insane amount of pressure on the guys looking for PvE as they are all going for the same targets. And the guys looking for PvP can either slaughter whole lobbies or are totally outnumbered as their team consists of 10-15 PvE players.

And on top of that - most of the PvE players coming from Ground RB are used to die as this is part of their mode - as long as they kill a base or two they make a profit and getting killed doesn’t matter, they simply jump to the next game. So in most BRs the match result is determined how many PvE players are in your team.

If you follow the forum for years - or just look at recent threads (like F-111) - you might acknowledge that the majority of threads simply discuss ways to improve PvE game play in Air RB by increasing the number of bases or ground targets - and not to play the mode as intended; so being part of a team with different plane classes which could all contribute by fulfilling win conditions (TDM, ticket win, airfield kill).

Without adding realistic win conditions for PvE players in Air RB by reinstalling “killable” airfields there is no real purpose in bombing bases. And actually also no reason to use planes like a Tornado IDS designed to kill high priority and well defended ground targets like airfields far behind enemy lines.

Don’t get me wrong, but seeing so many PvE players in a mode like Air RB designed for pilots (with mixed goals PvP and PvE) is simply sad.

Just ask the experienced tank player in Ground RB how he would feel if full dedicated pilots would spam their matches. The skill floor for getting a few SP to spawn in a pure fighter is rather low - but by flying CAP and killing enemy CAS those pilots are able to alter the outcome without being good at tank game play and even without killing an enemy tank just by killing enemy planes.
There are just 3 things that prevent that:

1. Lousy economy in Ground RB compared to Air RB
  2. Lousy winrates on average (50-60%)compared to Air RB
  3. Lack of Air markers like in Air RB

Short story:

So as a summary:

This mess in Air RB is fully intended by gaijin. Killing win conditions like Airfield kills changed the game play and the introduction of respawning bases made it easier for less experienced pilots to participate. From a holistic pov PvE players are basically just easy kills for PvP players and matches are mostly decided by the number of non PvE players in your team, so by the MM.

Complaining about base respawn timers, number and location of bases or ground targets and enforced competition within teams are comprehensible, but just a symptom of the severe illness of Air RB. Fighting symptoms won’t heal Air RB.

Said it before but we need more bomb bases and/or a shorter timer because it just causes infighting

2 Likes

Was there any comment, anywhere by Gaijin at all?

Bomb base respawn was bugged on the last update making so they were respawning 10 times faster than intended.

This was fixed, now we have the base respawn we always had.

What’s the current respawn speed of bases?

Bring back the base respawn time
and no one left behind

4-5 minutes afaik

Which is absurd when you consider there is maximum four bases on most maps, and team sizes were increased a few months ago with no change to the number of bases. Most top tier matches don’t last 4-5 minutes total, nevermind that long after a base has been destroyed.

3 Likes

I said this before, but the ruin of RB is imho largely caused by the ruin of AB.

The game is not just top tier ARB.

It affects every BR where there are popular attackers/bombers/multirole aircraft though.

2 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation. I actually suspected that is the case.

Please forward at least our feedback: That bug made Jet games much more enjoyable and proved that it is solution to drastically reduce frustration and toxic behaviour. Also made players like myself to play some slower planes that can carry bombs. All in all, less meta more fun.

1 Like

My recommendation is to make a suggestion to reduce this 4 minutes in high tier games and collect there the player feedback. That way it has a higher chance of being taken into consideration.

4 Likes

I am sure glad they did this before the sale. Otherwise who knows, I might have picket SU-25K.

But they just cut their sales with it.

1 Like

I don’t mean to be difficult but players already committed time and effort to express their feedback on official forum (and reddit). I’m sure most have done it expecting to be heard.

Isn’t this topic suggestion and feedback on its own? You may as well move this discussion if placement in the forum matters to increased chances to be heard. For me is needles bureaucracy.

If the feedback across all the related topics isn’t enough, I get now why Gaijin is being perceived as not listening.

That’s another feedback.

5 Likes