4th gens and Fox-3s

im just gonna talk about the DA1 here because i have not done research on the british variants

the DA1 carried IRIS-T, yes. However these were dummies and captive missiles that were not launched as this aircraft was for flight tests, not weapon tests. it also did flight tests with asymmetric a2g loadouts and did not release those either. the first test firing were done using the DA7
https://targetlock.org.uk/typhoon/development.html
https://www.defense-aerospace.com/iris-t-missile-flies-on-eurofighter-sept-4/

https://eurofighter.airpower.at/prototypen-da1.htm
https://eurofighter.airpower.at/geschichte-entwicklung.htm

i have yet to see an indication that the DA1 carried a radar.

well from the research I did on the DA.2 for the suggestion whilst not equipped with radar initially it was very soon refitted with it as it became available, DA.1 may never have as I never saw the need for in depth research into a variant I wasn’t making a suggestion about, however the DA.2 did take part in ASRAAM firing tests and was fully capable of carrying and firing ASRAAM, AIM-9 and AMRAAM (technically sky flash as well but never tested at all)

DA.2 went through a wide series of Refits and upgrades throughout its life with it getting the ECR-90, EJ-200 Engines and a ton of pressure sensors for airframe tests

Tornado on the tops against the Soviet air defense and others in general is extremely unrealistic to play

do you have a source for the specific asraam firing?
all i could find myself was also “captive flight trials”…
hell, the rafmuseum only lists “Conducted captive flight trials with MBDA ASRAAM air - air missile” and nothing about radars…

While I don’t have a link I had asked some staff at the RAF Museum at Hendon last year and they said that the DA.2 had conducted ASRAAM firing trials, and they listed their Records as source, i just didnt have time to dig through them all to find it.

Even if they were wrong the DA.2 carried a full avionics suite and was more than capable of firing them.

and about the radar?

same situation. i can find information about the ECR90 being installed in the DA5, then in the DA4 and even the DA5 carrying the CEASAR AESA variant…

again the same thing, the RAF Museum Hendon said it had gone through various upgrades and had been fitted with the ECR-90 in an early upgrade

anyway this is all off topic for here so if you want to continue I suggest we take it somewhere else or end it here

Su-27SM and I believe the MiG-29SMT can both carry up to x6 R-77

1 Like

M2K can carry 6x MICA

im just gonna leave this here at DA1 would be unreasonable.
DA2 is likely a different story but i’ll discuss that in that suggestion post…

add the F-4F ICE you forgot it. It was the first Plane Germany had that used AIM 120s together with the Radar of the F18 Hornet

2 Likes

if we talk about the German version it also had AIM 9 I-1 with a new seaker from Diehl thats about the same as the one on the 9M and i think the UK tested that missile aswell… the I-1 is a 9L with a newer seaker btw

read the thread 4th gen and fox 3
so fox3 on 4th gen platforms

1 Like

F-4F ICE is offically considered a 4.5 Gen in the Luftwaffe because of the Radar and its Weapons together with the upgraded Avionics but its a Gen 3 Platform plus it makes more sense to add it before we get the Eurofighter and before its too late and DOA

The advantage is IRIS-T (60G). The problem will be if the F4F ICE based on a 2-3 generation aircraft will play against the 4th generation with an old cockpit (ILS), without OLS, without NSC, only 4 Aim-120 + 4 melee missiles. This is not 6 p77 at 27cm + 4 r73. F4F ICE will be worse than the Su-27 with R27ER + 73.

2 Likes

@TyTheGuy27 Best USSR choice. add this

1 Like

just so you know the 4F ICE did use IRIS-T and even the Meteor before the Eurofighter got it as it the Meteor was made for it to replace the ageing 120B also HMD was later added to it but i fully understand it will fight certain jets so lets give it at least 1 better missile to give it a trade off

Meteor is a different kind of beast might be too much

Ive discussed the potential balancing of the F-4 ICE in my suggestion post for it (which has been passed on to the devs). Note that this was made two updates before the Su-27 and F-15 were introduced in game, at the time the F-16C and MiG-29SMT were the newest jets

Continuing the discussion from F-4 Phantom ICE: Improved Combat Efficiency:

no, dude, maybe better: