ZSD-85 (sw1)

Would you like to see the ZSD89 (SW1) in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Hello, this is a suggestion for the ZSD85 equipped with the SW1 turret. For those not familiar, this is a lightweight turret developed by NORINCO for light vehicles, improving their firepower. It uses a 30mm autocannon, and a set of four HJ-8 missiles. This variant is for the ZSD85 APC, however the turret was also mounted on the ZBD04.

History

Spoiler

The SW1 turret was first seen at the United Arab Emirates’ 2007 International Defense Exhibition. Shown under the name SW1 Red Arrow 8 Missile / 30mm Cannon Turret Weapon System by Norinco, it was offered as a new turret for light vehicles. As a demonstrator, it was mounted on the Type 85 APC, and later on the ZBD04. Since then, it is not known to have been sold to any other countries, and seems to have been limited to a couple Chinese vehicles modified with this turret for marketing to display its modularity.

The NORINCO SW1 brochure.

The SW1 turret is able to be fitted to a number of IFVs and AFVs, and from 100 meters provides protection against 12.7 mm AP ammunition. The armament of the SW1 is a 30 mm ZPT-99 autocannon with a rate of fire of 350 RPM, and the main feature of the turret, four SACLOS guided HJ-8A anti-tank guided missiles, which have a maximum range of 4,000 meters. Upgraded versions of the HJ-8, like the HJ-8C and HJ-8E can also be fitted. On top of the autocannon and missiles, the vehicle also features a 7.62mm machine gun.

The autocannon is guided through a built in sight, with a laser rangefinder and thermal imaging for the gunner to help find the target and then get the gun on it. Included with the turret as well are three smoke grenade launchers on each side of the turret. Traverse is 360 degrees, with elevation angles going from -6 to +60 degrees. The turret weighs in at around 1,750 kg, and allows it to even be installed on lighter platforms like the WZ551.

The ZSD85 with the SW1 turret.

Specifications

Spoiler

Crew: 3
Weight: 16.05 t
Length: 6.15 m
Width: 3.13 m
Height: 3.27 m
Main armament: 30 mm ZPT-99 (~350 rounds)
Secondary armament: 7.62 mm coaxial machine gun & 4x mounted HJ-8 anti-tank missiles (4x in the hull)
Engine: 320 hp diesel engine
Suspension: Torsion bar
Operational range: 500 km

Sources

Spoiler
6 Likes

Please bring more IFVs to China! +1

2 Likes

More IFVs for SW-1 turrets +1

1 Like

+1

1 Like

+IFV’s and light vehicles for China c:

I’m all for Chinese IFVs but I’d much prefer vehicles that are actually in service over prototypes and demonstrators. And China has a LOT of IFVs in service domestically or exported.

A photo of this vehicle at another angle suggests it is actually based on Type 85 IFV chassis:

Same for another similar vehicle with Type 63A turret:

1 Like

Is there any confirmation on it being the Type 85? I had this debate when making these two posts, but I could not for the life of me figure out how to differentiate the two. I could see about changing the title and contact the mods about changing the name in the suggested vehicles list.

The Type 89’s hull front is noticeably sharper. Some Type 85s also feature a small door on the upper front plate. This door is not present on any Type 89. This door is present on this vehicle, making it a Type 85.

Spoiler

I’m also pretty sure the 105mm is also on a Type 85 since the hull front seems very blunt.

Spoiler

2 Likes

That seems sound to me, thank you, Eugen!

1 Like

+1

1 Like