ZA-HVM - Technical data and Discussion

V.I.P.

History
The development of ZA-HVM, along with ZA-35, started in 1983. The main SPAAs of South Africa then were Ystervark and Cactus. While these systems were doing their jobs just fine, they were starting to show their age in comparison with systems used by other countries and the aircraft they were supposed to counter. That resulted in a competition where multiple foreign systems were studied, but South Africa decided not to buy someone else’s system and decided to make its own. Development was going smoothy, 1991 marked the debut of the first ZA-35 prototype as well as the creation of the ZA-HVM mock-up. Works on ZA-HVM we commencing at a steady pace, in 1993 the vehicle was assembled and fired its missiles fo the first time, however end of war in Angola, and resaulting form it cut in funding ultimately killed the project.

Technical Specification

Crew:

3 Crew: Driver, Gunner and Commander/Radar Operator

Dimensions:

Lenght: 7,2m
Width: 2,9m
Height: 3,1m with radar folded, 6m with radar erected
Weight: 30 tonnes (SAHV-3)

Mobility:

Engine: V10 producing 563hp
Gearbox: Automatic, 6 forward 1 backwards, sellectable high and low ratios
Suspension: 8x8 with 4 front wheels steering
Max speed: 120km/h

Protection:

Hull: 30mm front, 25mm side, 20mm rear
Turret: 35mm front, 27mm side, 13mm rear

Search radar specifications:

Radar: upgraded EDR 110
Type: Planar array PESA radar
Band: IEEE: L NATO: D
Range: 25km with 7,5km ceiling
Scan zone: 360°x50°(-5°+45°)
Scan rate: 60 rpm

Features

Look-down
Ability to distinguish between fixed wing aircraft and helicopters
Ground clutter filtering
ECCM
Low Noise
Low sidelobes
MTI
Auto offset control
Cfar
10% wide band
Parallel multichannel processing
Performace optimisation: By Sector, By range/azimuth gate
IFF
TWS up to 100 targets
operating on the move
DL to other sytems

Ability to cue turret and tracker to target in is whole working spectrum, 360°x45°

Tracker Specifications:

Tracker: ETS 2400 Catchy
Specifications are the same as AA-EOT due to using the same systems, but it is complemented by a radar.
Type: Combined IR/RF tracker
IRST lock range: 10km
Radar lock range: 20km
Band: IEEE: Ka NATO: K
Command transmitter (used for SAHV-IR and SAHV-RS DL): IEEE: X NATO: I

Features

Autonomous search
3 channel monopulse
true Look-down
Memory tracking
High G manoeuvring targets tracking
Low noise
ECCM
MTI
Track on jam
Frequency selectable
Random PRF stagger
Low antenna sidelobes
Multi-spectral operation
Large instantaneous dynamic range
Adaptive tracking filters
Ground clutter rejection
Near immunity to ARM

Limits: 360° horizontally, -30° +90° vertically
Magnification: x1,5-x6
TVD: Gen 1 or Gen 2
Laser rangefinder: 20 Hz pulse
Stabilised: Yes
This tracker is able to guide missile using both laser and RF. This would depend on if infra-red track or radio frequency track is used.

Commander sight specifications:

Name: AA-CS-300D panoramic day sight
Limits: 360° horizontal, -15° +75° vertical
Magnification: x3-x10
Target acquisition range: 10km
Commander override: Yes

Armament:

Missiles: 4
Horizontal limits: 360° rotation
Turret rotation speed: 45°/s
Vertical launcher limits: -0° +81°
Elevation speed: 42°/s

Main Missile

Missile: SAHV-3
Guidance type: LOSBR Laser/RF (Depending on the mode used)
Length: 3.08m
Diameter: 180mm
Weight: 123kg
Warhead: 22kg HE-fragmentation
Proximity fuse: 10m RF with 95% kill probability, ability to destroy alternate targets such as missiles
Engine: single-stage solid fuel smokeless propellant
Max speed: 3.5 Mach
Max range: ~14.5km
Max effective range: 12km
Max effective altitude: 8km
Time of flight:
to 12,000 m: 17 s
to 8,000 m: 9.5 s
to 6,000 m: 4.9 s
to 4,000 m: 3 s
Speed at 12,000m: ~1.5 Mach
Steering: 4 rear fins
G-overload: 40g single-plane, 6G maneuverability at 20 000ft height
Guidance time: 24s

Missile envelopes

Secondary Missiles
While the vehicle was never seen mounting them, it was possible for it to use missiles listed below

Missile: SAHV-IR
Guidance type: Initial DL + flare resitant dual channel IR seeker.
Length: 3.28m
Wingspan: 404mm
Weight: 130kg
Proximity fuse: 10m RF with 95% kill probability, ability to destroy alternate targets such as missiles
Max speed: 2,95 Mach
Max effective range: 8,5km
LOBL: up to 3km
LOAL: 3-8km
Seeker max aquisition range: 7,700m with 100° cone scan sector
DL: used untill missile seeker is able to aquire designated target, after obtaining lock DL is terminated
Max effective altitude: 7,3km
G-overload: 40g single-plane

Missile: SAHV-RS
Guidance type: Initial DL + ARH seeker.
Length: 3.6m
Wingspan: 404mm
Weight: 137kg
Max speed: 2,8 Mach
Max effective range: 13km
LOBL: up to 10km
LOAL: 8-13km
Seeker max aquisition range: 10 000m with >90° cone scan sector, home on jam
DL: used untill missile seeker is able to aquire designated target, after obtaining lock DL is terminated
Max effective altitude: 7,3km
G-overload: 40g single-plane

Missile envelope

Pictures

Pictures

SAHV-3 Missile

SAHV-IR Missile

SAHV-IR and SAHV-RS Missiles

Finalized Tracker with radar covered

Original Tracker without radar cover

Schematic

Model in the game files

Was it real?

I am well aware that ZA-HVM is known around as mockup only thing. I thought the same thing, but after months of research i gathered enough informations to prove that it did left the mockup stage, and existed as a singular prototype.

Here is the evidence

Explanation

While at first glance this source has nothing to do with the HVM, it is not the case when we dive into it a little deeper. Article states that SAHV-3 can be fiered from Cactus, Kentron own turret and pedestal mount. At this point this also gives nothing, let me explain the connection. There are 3 known systems that could operate SAHV-3
Cactus
Pedastal mount, that is referd to this
And Kentron own turret, but do we know what it is? Yes. There is only one platform left associated with SAHV-3, and that is ZA-HVM turret
And ZA project, that is the turret mounted on the Rooikat chassis is made by none other than Kentron.

Translation

The most advanced solution, however, is the self-propelled version, whose turret was developed based on the proven ZA-35.
Instead of cannons and ammunition pods, hooks for pairs of launch containers were placed on both sides.
The turret is 2 tons lighter than the ZA-35 and it is planned to increase the number of missiles it can carry to 8.
The design of the turret itself has changed slightly, but a tracking radar has been added to the optronic system at the front, operating in the Ka-band (the Za-35 equipment may also be enriched in the future, giving it the ability to operate in bad weather conditions).
The dimensions of the radar station antenna have been slightly increased, the range of which has increased to 25 km.
The interior equipment has also been changed. The vehicle was given the name ZA-HVM and can be used to launch missiles of both types.
Work on this system is currently at an advanced stage and is expected to be completed in 3-4 years.
A full program of tests of the command-guided missile has already been carried out, as well as tests of launching the passive version at a short distance, without the use of initial radio guidance.
A prototype of a turret with 8 pods to be mounted on the chassis of a T-72 tank or a G-6 howitzer is to be ready soon, which is to additionally accommodate eight spare missiles automatically reloaded onto the launchers.

Zoomed in

Rooikat - Wikipedia

Full list of sources used to obtain all the data presented here

ZA-35 Brochure
EDR 100 family of radars brochure
ETS 2400 brochure
South African Armoured Vehicles A History of Innovation and Excellence
Surviving the Ride: A Pictorial History of South African-Manufactured Armoured Vehicles
Armada International 19991 iss 6
Armed Forces November 1991
Janes Land Based Air Defenses 1993-94
Janes Land Based Air Defenses 1992-93
Janes Radar and Electronic Warfare 1993
Janes International Defense Review 7/1996
Janes Defense weekly 23 november 1991
Jane’s Tank recognition guide 1996
ZA-35 Twin 35 mm Self-Propelled Anti Aircraft Artillery System Archived 6/97
Nowa Technika Wojskowa 1/1994
International Defense Review 1991 Iss 11
Soldat Und Technik 1992/11
Military Technology 1991 Iss 12
Military Technology 1993 Iss 7
Military Technology 1994 Iss 11
Military Technology 1997 Iss 2
Vojnotehnički glasnik 3/2000
Rooikat - Wikipedia
These are only the most direct one, I have 11 sources in total stating it existed and worked.

If anything is unclear, or if someone has any questions, feel free to reach out to me, i will try my best to explain everything.

29 Likes

Very nice

2 Likes

well done

2 Likes

If anyone have any informations about its working prototype, i would be gratefull for shating them here.

More complete than the Ho-Ri

1 Like

True

1 Like

State of sources that strictly say it fiered its missiles or that it is a prototype as of 12.07

Spoiler

Rooikat - Wikipedia

TRANSLATION

Work on this system is currently at an advanced stage and is expected to be completed in 3-4 years.
A full program of tests of the command-guided missile has already been carried out, as well as tests of launching the passive version at a short distance, without the use of initial radio guidance.

State of the conversation with the moderation: Still considered a mockup.

2 Likes

Nsed another 152853972 sources for Britain to get anything good

State as of 15.07
Sources are the same
State of conversation with the moderaiton: There was an attempt to manipulate source i provided, to make it invaild. I pointed that out.
After that i got a response that unless i provide a picture of the complete vehicle or modifed turret, nothing will be done.

If it sounds like bollocks, it probably is. Shame really with how much effort you have put in yourself. Amazing job none the less.

1 Like

More information than multiple vehicles already in game lol but now a photo is also needed wtf.

Im also not pleased with how it is going, especially considering there exist a schematic that check with everything said in written sources, but they are the ones dealing the cards.

1 Like

Seems absolutely pointless to not add it imo, they’ve paid for the in game model, there’s already vehicles in game that don’t exist to an event lesser extent and judging by the suggestions forum they are struggling to add anything to fill higher tier BR gaps. Considering how broken cas is at top tier you’d think with the amount of information you’ve provided it would be a no brainier

The problem is, that the model they have is not the one that worked. HVM was modified compared to what we saw in 1991, so probably they do not want to remake the model without pictures.

why not argue that the turret is functional on the G-6?

and the ostwind II is iffy
and coelian only had a mockup turret
and the R2Y2s
and the Ho-Ris

2 Likes

Forgot to mention it.
G6-HVM suggestion has been made, wonder how that will go.

3 Likes

Link?

Not yet, as every suggestion it needs approval first

1 Like

Ahh ok fair enough

I’m pretty sure a photoshoped image could make them believe it…