XP-0 - China's own Hawk

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

What type would you like to be seen implemented?

• Late
  • Early
  • Both
  • I said No
0 voters

XP-0 #1

XP-0 (Early)

History

Zhu-Jiaren-1-249x300

During the Second Sino-Japanese War China found itself lacking in both it’s airforce and aircraft industry. During this period aircraft were purchased from the Soviets and USA, with some minor industry created to build Soviet type aircraft. The Curtis H-75H hawk in particular made quite an impression on the Chinese, and was bought in reasonable numbers. In 1940 however, the A6M appeared over the skies of China, rendering the H-75H obsolete. Zhu Jiaren (朱家仁), the director of the 1st AFAMF (Air Force Aircraft Manufacturing Factory / 第一飛機製造廠) proposed an idea to design a locally produced fighter aircraft, this aircraft would be known as XP-0 (Experimental Pursuit 0), in a similar manner to American aircraft at the time. The aircraft would be heavily inspired by the H-75H, and would look superficially similar.

The XP-0 would use a new type of laminated wood material developed by the Aeronautical Research Institute, which was in development for two years. he control surfaces and spars of the XP-0 was to be from metal, whilst the aircraft wings would be constructed using wood and covered with the aforementioned laminated wood. The design was finished in 1942, and a prototype was ready to fly in 1943. The exact date for the XP-0’s maiden flight is unknown, but the flight was to take place at the Yangling (楊林) airfield near Kunming. The pilot chosen to perform the flight was Lieutenant Wang Zhongxiao (王中校). The aircraft flew well, however required a higher landing speed than an H-75H, resulting in a botched landing, with the aircraft falling apart. Additional prototypes were completed by 1944, resulting in minor differences, the most noticeable being a cut-down rear fuselage. Some suggestions state that by 1946 9 prototypes had been made, by this point however surplus American aircraft were becoming common, and the Soviets had an interest in Chinese affairs, resulting in the need for the XP-0 to vanish. It is unknown what happened to these aircraft, and they were likely destroyed.

Specifications

Please note that data on this plane, as with most early Chinese aircraft, is extremely lacking.

General characteristics

• Crew: 1
  • Length: 8.8 m (28 ft 10.5 in)
  • Wingspan: 11.4 m (37 ft 5 in)
  • Height: 3.7 m (12 ft 2 in)
  • Wing area: 22 m2 (236.8 sq ft)
  • Gross weight: 2,990 kg (6,592 lb)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Pratt & Whitney R-1830-S1C3-G Twin Wasp radial engine , 894 kW (1,200 hp)

Performance

• Maximum speed: 504 km/h (313 mph, 272 kn)
  • Cruise speed: 450 km/h (280 mph, 240 kn)
  • Range: 1,400 km (870 mi, 760 nmi)
  • Service ceiling: 9,850 m (32,320 ft)

Armament

• Guns: 1x Browning AN/M2 12.7mm (.50 cal) machine gun and 1 x Browning AN/M2 7.62mm (.30 cal) machine gun (Some specifications say 4 x 20mm cannons underwing)
In Game

The current China tree in the game is severely lacking in unique aircraft. Below tier 6 the only unique aircraft are foreign designs which only China used. It pains me to see that some of the only early designs which could be added haven’t been added. Having tiers 4-6 in all other nations, I find it hard to convince myself to play China due to the lack of variety at lower tiers. Aircraft like this would help me find some interest as an absolute plane nerd. China is often referred to in a negative way due to the amount of copy-paste, and this plane would help to change that stigma. XP-0 (early) and XP-0 (late) would be 2 of at least 7 unique sub-tier 6 aircraft which are yet to be added, and would make tier 1/2 a bit more interesting.

Photos

XP-0 (Late) - note the cut-down rear fuselage, modified engine cowling and added landing gear covers
XP-0-3-1024x596
42053-69af3c31d42d8ae54afec3684e08d3e0
42054-10f4aadfbe4e408c25313acfdef00ae4
42051-b68a59674a69ce87db39d5f14fe4bc6e
download
i2yazkzeyxq51

Sources

https://old-forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/471134-chu-xp-0-only-indigenous-chinese-ww2-plane/ (contains additional sources in other languages)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chu_XP-0

https://sinorecords.org/1st-afamf-xp-0/

https://militarymatters.online/forgotten-aircraft/the-chu-xp-series-chinas-homebuilt-fighters/ (contains additional sources)

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/thoughts-on-the-chu-x-p0-and-xp-1.52728/

4 Likes

A big +2 for me

we need both variants ingame for more unique Chinese aircraft

3 Likes

Both look fantastic, I would love to see them. +1

XP-0 was a same level with P-36A,low tier aircraft,cause it just 1x .50 & 1x .30,I have a photo about XP-0. A XP-0 be destroyed in 1942 on Yunnan province Leiyun aircraft munufactor. you can see the characteristic of XP-0, its paddle fairing, and you can see a hole in its wing and engine cowl,that s not the P-43A-1,cause the fairing, the XP-0 have four machine gun after the first prototype,but it is very unfortunately be destroyed in 1942, after that China have no chance to mass produce the type of this aircraft.
在云南中航厂被摧毁的研驱零

2 Likes