Xi'an JH-7, History, Performance & Discussion

Introduction:

This topic is about the History, Performance & Discussion of Xi’an JH-7.

English is not my native language, and the sources are also quite diverse, so if you have any suggestions please feel free.

Due to confidentiality reasons, I can only provide rough data, such as the names and approximate performance of radar, engines, and weapons.

Chinese Air-To-Air missiles

As reference, this topic is about the Chinese Air-To-Air missiles,
Chinese Air-To-Air missiles, History, Performance & Discussion

JH-7 (飞豹, Flying Leopard):

FBC-1

At the beginning of 1973, the PLAN put forward the index of missile Attack aircraft; In March 1976, the PLAAF proposed requirements for the Q-5 successor aircraft. In April, at the preparatory meeting for aviation development planning held in Beijing, it was pointed out that according to tactical and technical requirements, except for the different weapons and equipment used in combat, and based on the situation of Chinese bombers and assault aircraft at that time, it was decided to establish an H-7 project.
The early JH-7 appeared in factories and air shows under the name FBC-1 (fighter, bomber, China), during which multiple configurations were considered. After multiple improvements, it has become what we see now.

Performance

• Engine: SPEY MK202
  • Radar: Type 232H
  • Air-To-Air Weapons: 2x PL-5
  • Air-To-Surface Weapons: Unguide bomb/rocket

JH-7

In early 1983, the H-7 aircraft completed 164 structural, strength, and system principle tests, and entered the comprehensive detailed design phase. On December 14, 1988, the first flight of 001 prototype aircraft was carried out. On May 29, 1992, the PLAN named the H-7 aircraft H/KJH-7 fighter bomber, or Xi’an JH-7 for short. On June 18, 1993, the prototype 004 began joint testing with the Eagle Strike 81 missile weapon system.
Due to the fact that JH-7 was initially only used by PLAN, its ground strike weapons were limited to unguided bombs/rockets, which could carry PL-5 for self-defense. Although theoretically PL-9 could also be used (sourced from AVIC’s PL-9 introduction), it has never been seen that PLA’s JH-7 uses PL-9.

Performance

• Engine: WS-9
  • Radar: JL-10A
  • Air-To-Air Weapons: 2x PL-5
  • Air-To-Surface Weapons: Unguide bomb/rocket

JH-7A

JH-7A has made several significant improvements to its combat performance based on JH-7. The key point of development is to design a new integrated avionics Fire-control system and develop a set of integrated, digital and extensible multi-functional electronic Fire-control system. This system can be linked with flight control system and multiple pods to greatly improve its combat capability. Increase the variety of weapons, the maximum mounting capacity of the aircraft and the Radius of action of the aircraft. Improve the lifespan of the body, reliability, and maintainability.
The JH-7A has an additional pair of pylons to carry PL-5 and PL-8, as well as has an additional pair of pylons to carry a targeting pod and radar pod. It can carry various air to surface guided weapons, significantly improving its combat performance compared to the JH-7.

Performance

• Air-To-Air Weapons: 2-4x PL-5, 0-2x PL-8
  • Air-To-Surface Weapons: Unguide bomb/rocket, Guided Air-To-Surface weapons

JH-7A2

JH-7A2 appeared at the 2022 Zhuhai Air Show, with a longer DF-4C pylon on the inner side of its wing, which may be used to carry larger missiles. At the same time, the ground also showcased the AKF98A, an ultra long-range strike weapon with significant stealth characteristics. Compared to JH-7A, JH-7A2 focuses more on improving electronic warfare performance and battlefield survival performance.

Performance

• Air-To-Air Weapons: 2-4x PL-5, 0-2x PL-8
  • Air-To-Surface Weapons: Unguide bomb/rocket, Guided Air-To-Surface weapons

Source:
《中国飞机全书》第三卷
《海空飞豹》
more…

16 Likes

Considering JH-7‘s ground strike capability, equipped with PL-5B and in BR 10.3 may be a good choice, otherwise I think it will suffer like the Tornado in BR 11.0 :(

2 Likes

JH-7 basic from PLANAF no mounted PL-5E ? I wonder JH-7 carry long-range anti-ship missile ?

The PL-5 series is universal, but considering that the JH-7 only has unguided bombs and rockets, unless developers equip the JH-7 with guided weapons, I believe it would be better to use the PL-5B to keep it at a lower BR.
Yes, it can carry the YJ-81 long range anti ship missile, but it is useless in WT and does not have a ground attack variant.

3 Likes

You guess dev might consider add 2nd IR AAM PL-5E on JH-7 basic ?

2 Likes

So it’s basically another Tornado IDS situation. Thats why devs should add separate BRs for attackers and bombers

4 Likes

Yes, I am worried that they will use PL-5E as a gimmick for JH-7 and create the second Tornado tragedy.

At present, they will not do so, so it is important to use appropriate AAM to keep JH-7 at a lower BR.

1 Like
JH-7

JH-7A

Weapons of JH-7 and JH-7A

The third image mentions that JH-7 has a later version that can use more guided weapons, but I do not have any other sources to confirm.

2 Likes

This is a JH-7A model with PL-12, released by official media.

Previously, there was another image of JH-7A using composite pylon to mount PL-12, but I seem to have lost it, sad :(

3 Likes

JH-7A & JH-7A2 carry all-aspect IR AAM PL-5EII & ARH PL-12 but not sure equipped SARH PL-11 ?

I guess JH-7 basic equivalent Tornado IDS early (germany) & Tornado GR.1 early (UK)

2 Likes

Found it.

8 Likes

I’m not surpriced JH-7A carry medium-range ARH BVRAAM PL-12 but mounted BVR SARH PL-11 ?

There is no enough information.

I think one of the most difficult things for an English speaker like me is finding good sources for Chinese vehicles that give me useful details. My main interest around future Chinese aircraft is what potential advanced CAS options could they receive later? The Americans and Russians get too enjoy a large arsenal of air too ground weapons, and this is something china currently lacks.

5 Likes

Try to use a vpn that has chinese server.By doing that you will get more chinese websites in your search result.That should help you to find some sources.

1 Like

What are those other missiles on that pylon? Seems like this plane could be very good if it can carry 2x Pl-12’s, and 6x IR missiles.

It could be PL-5 with a cover on it’s seeker

JH-7AII carrying PL-5DE and PL-8B trainer missiles.

8 Likes

I might expect gaijin consider JH-7 basic and JH-7A next month or december this year because currently china tech tree no CAS aircraft toptier

3 Likes

They can get Mirage 2000-5, A2G for F-16MLU, or air to ground for J-8F.

2 Likes