Why gaijin make big maps

It’s about engagement time, if my enemy sees me first then it’s a lot easier to just laser rangefind than it is to decide how far away he is, adjust the gun, and fire.

Obviously, it’s stupid not to use a LR if you have access to it but it’s also smart to remember rough distances and sightlines for when stock grinding, this is essential map knowledge and an aspect of the game that’s rapidly vanishing

I’d change this to “Have variety in engagement ranges, and have adequate ways to move around the map with cover, while allowing for flanking.”

Rhine is good at that, with the amount of routes you are able to take to avoid players, same with Fulda and the small version of Maginot. Maps that fail at that are American desert, due to it having too many sight lines if you aren’t hiding between buildings, and Sun city, due to it being a very open map.

Personally I like Mozodok, Rhine, Sands of Sinai, Small Tunisia, Flanders, Maginot, and Fulda.

Oh lord this myth again.
Here’s the facts: “Tanks are required to have infantry support in urban environments to counter enemy infantry with explosive devices.”

Tanks were always meant for urban environments.
Tanks have no minimum range, only maximum ranges.
Which is why long-range is over 2km.

@Get_HeshED
War Thunder has map ban stacking, unlike WoT, so a squad of 4 people is 4 banned maps.

Maybe Gaijin should change it to allow for more map bans. It would benefit the game to give non-premium players 1 ban, and premium ones 2-3.

2 Likes

Imma be real that is never going away lmao

Honestly I tend to flank around C on Sev, its nice when you pull it off and can unload a 57-2 into the enemy.

Rhine is ass because of that corridor that becomes a clusterfuck imo. A more straightened-out rhine would be perfect, though.

“WHy Gaijin make big maps”

To increase playstyle viarity.

Big maps are a necessity for the powercreep thats coming each patch with modern MBTs

3 Likes

Just don’t design maps for all tiers of the game at the same time. Such map will be garbage regardless.

Design more open maps for higher ranks and smaller, closed maps for lower ranks.

It’s as simple as that. Create maps specificilly for 1 type of gameplay and limit them down to BRs where this type of gameplay is relevant, instead of trying to turn them into some sort of weird mix that everyone ends up hating in the end

That would imply people understand how to use that power creep correctly.

Except the majority are only interested in fighting at close quarters. Which would make large open maps pointless.

Higher BRs are terrible in CQB. I’d say CQB is genuinely fun to play up until like 9.0

What a nonsence…
IF the tanks were designed for urban environment they would look like quite different.

IF tanks fights in urban environment, they support the infantry, not the other way around.

2 Likes

I like small maps better. Big maps are kind of toxic if you are a average player like me.

Ah, the myth of “infantry support”.
In the immortal words if Nicolas Moran AKA The Chieftain: “Infantry support includes destroying other tanks.”

Not sure why you didn’t read that initially since that’s the post you replied to.

You seem to think all tank designers are dumb.
They’d look exactly like they do now.
M4 Sherman wasn’t the peak of urban tank as you imply.

For some myth, for some actual army doctrines…

Tanks in urban environment are last resort, not something desirable.

How come ?

Tanks were not designed to fight in urban environment and their strengths are severely diminished if doing so.

To quickly review design of contemporary tanks… Armor is suitable to protect only form the frontal arc, while city fighting requires all around protection.
Roof armor is usually very thin and tanks are vulnerable from attacks from elevated positions.
Main guns does not have sufficient elevation to target elevated positions.
Tank can’t use their mobility in urban environments, and are prone to ambushes, IEDs, etc.
With limited visibility might not even spot incoming thread.

Urban environment is Hell of Tank combat.

You are making lot of assumptions based on nothing…

3 Likes

The like ratio from OPs post to _Zekkens shows that this is a lie.

Real life doctrine is irrelevant; virtually all the reasons tanks avoid urban engagements do not exist in WT.

1 Like

Doesnt make the small maps enjoyable.

2 Likes