Vympel R-73 'ARCHER' - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

I do not have enough knowledge about phoenix to comment on that. But the R-73 was very clearly rushed or Devs just hate this missile. Their favourite is clearly AIM-9

1 Like

Its because the aim9m wasn’t hard tò model in game,
while the r73s have issues related tò in game limitation of the engine.

2 Likes

its not a question of the AIM-9 being their favourite, they copy pasted the 9L and give it a temporary seeker shut off with inertial nav and a low smoke motor, OBVIOUSLY its going to work better than a brand new TVC missile codewise, since all the AIM-9 bugs would be ironed out at this point.

Its also not like the R-73 is bad, thats just cope of the highest degree, its still an incredibly powerful missile despite occasional issues.

The 54C on the other hand is almost a complete strict DOWNGRADE compared to the AIM-54A which it replaced. The only thing the C is better in is in the largely irrelevant inertialSpeedDrift which only comes into effect when you arent guiding the missile and it doesnt have a lock, and even then is basicly irrelevant in WT conditions.

3 Likes

It sometimes cannot catch very easy targets when fired at 1.5 KM because it takes an extremely long straight/parallel trajectory when fired from side aspects, when an Aim-9J would have actually hit in the same situation.

It wobbles half the time when going for easy straight targets losing a lot of energy.

Gets flared easier than AIM-9M in 9/10 situations.

Spins 360* losing all control when its trying to maneuver in dogfights.

It’s on a dogshit garbage airframe which has no chance vs extremely buffed UFO f-16s or f-14s so it is hard to use it in an actual dogfight.

4 Likes

Like he said it’s Just and in-game limitation that Will be surely fixed in the future.

They said the reason it wasn’t added (r73) was because it wasn’t finished… for like 6 months. And they add it in a half arsed state. Hard to not be mad at that when you were stuck with an r60 for a year

2 Likes

I don’t think they hate the missile. This is simply the first time they’ve had to develop something as complex as r73 and they seem to be struggling.

2 Likes

R-60 Vs 9L wasn’t even a competition , I still hate the TRASH-60M with a passion. It’s Garbage. Can’t even catch an F-16 1.5KM+ and would choose a cigarette to target rather than an afterburning F-14

3 Likes

After 1 year of development time? Since last December/November?

Did they do what I do for my projects in university , do it all in last week?

This is the R-73 thread. The AIM-54 has it’s own thread. On a sidenote, the AIM-54 will be fixed (buffed) when it is appropriate to do so. Doing so now would make it a straight up clubber (on top of the F-16 as well). Likewise, the Magic 2 for France is not yet fixed. They are just waiting for the appropriate time to correct these missiles which have been added to the game and later found to be much more potent than the sources indicated initially.

They’ve been struggling with this missile for a year now and its either a balance decision or they’re just incompetent at missile development. At least that’s the way i see it. I will say that the snail supposedly doesn’t nerf missiles, so that leaves only one real answer…

and don’t get people started on the SRAAM a lot stuff is still broken

If SRAAM would be buffed/fixed harrier gr1 would stand no chance at a br like 10.7

yeah it has no CMs

We already had thrust vectoring missile aka sraam

1 Like

The same one thats still broken? Yeah leading hard into the incompetence explanation.

1 Like

atleast its thrust vecotoring works and it wants to pull r-73 does not

1 Like

Very true lol, both are broken but SRAAMs TV is more useful/working relatively

Maybe just maybe its because Phoenix missiles are the only Fox-3 missiles in game accesible by only nation, have you ever considered that? Of course you didnt.

Current Us top end Jets are already very strong and on top of that you wanted to buff them even more with something that no other country has access.

This amount of muh Us suffer coping is something else truly.

2 Likes

That wasn’t a quick turn around either. Took years, and was accidentally broken a few times.

Makes me glad ASRAAM isn’t TVC, going to be much easier to code.

4 Likes