Vympel R-73 'ARCHER' - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

British tech tree is like middle child in Gaijin’s eyes.

Just make the R-73 non TV make it 45G or something would be more usable than its current state until it is fixed. The thrust vectoring currently is more of a hindrance than help. It either kills all energy or makes the missile spin

1 Like

The TVC isn’t necessarily the issue so much as it is the high angles of attack it has to achieve. The small turn radius and PID are the issues. They’ve implemented a decent fix and it’s maturing pretty well as they solve issues.

1 Like

I will never forget all the times the R-73 decided to spin 360 headbutting the ground causing me to die many times, because that 1 shot is all youll ever get on an f-16

Why does it take EXTREMELY long paths to the target sometimes? it literally cannot catch the target because it decided to go parallell to the target for 3KMs then turn into the target, losing all speed. is it the PID again?

My personal favourite being the time Gaijin just completely removed it’s ability to maneuver, so when fired it would just fly in a dead straight line for 3 seconds and explode (and they didn’t even revert that change, just left it like that for a couple of weeks).

It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if SRAAM has spent as much time broken as it has functional since being added.

1 Like

Yes, it has some special new code. It needs to be ironed out.

The point is rendered irrelevant when the R-27ER literally outperforms the AIM-54 in all metrics and scenarios but range as currently implemented in-game, and the AIM-7M is also just an outright better missile to bring as well.

The whole “no fair US is the only nation with fox 3’s!!!” argument falls appart really quick when the ones pointing to the worst top tier missile in the game are the ones firing the best missile in-game period lmao.

Pot calling the kettle black on a thread where so many players are whining about the R-73 not being good enough for them despite being one of the strongest missiles in-game lmao.

You missed the point entirely.
Firstly, that the AIM-54 is just as much of a “primary” weapon as the R-73
Secondly, that gaijin doesnt have some bias towards the west, particularly seeing as western tech is on average underperforming SUBSTANTIALLY, while russian tech rarely has that issue.

This is getting rather unconstructive and off topic though so please refrain from continuing to drag this conversation away from the R-73 any more than you already have.

1 Like

Both the R73 and AIM-54 are new missiles that were introduced with brand-new code and capabilities. Neither are anywhere near perfect and both will mature with time.

1 Like

Not really tho. Nothings overly unique about the AIM-54 code-wise, everything thats “special” about the AIM-54’s already existed as code in-game, and were simply recycled for the AIM-54.

Radar mechanics are pretty basic and really the only difference is that the missile includes an emitter along with the receiver all other radar missiles have, lofting already existed for a long time beforehand, just wasnt used on air to air missiles, and gaijin picked the laziest way to implement it as well. That’s whats “unique” about it. Not like its a TVC missile with a dynamic seeker size and extreme maneuverability.

R-73 has 849 lines of code.
AIM-54’s have 806.
AIM-9M is 823.
AIM-7M is 882.
R-27ER is 889

The AIM-54C has less code than the majority, if not all missiles it faces. Its guidance profile is much more simplistic than the other high performance SARH’s which is actually why it has less lines of code. All it is is a bad SARH with its own radar emitter in exchange for most of its autopilot being stripped from it.

That’s why they chose to make the F-16 severely overperform and nerfed the MiG-29 into the ground until many many many bug reports had to be passed. That’s why the majority of Western vehicle reports end up nerfing their equipment. It’s not necessarily a bias as it is simply game balancing. The Western players are terrible.

It introduced lofting and active seekers’ for air to air missiles, your notion that it’s simple is just a farce.

3 Likes

New RWR system makes almost any type of radar guided missiles useless, if you cant deal with them wether its R27ER or not means you have serious skill issues.

Also you’re the one who claimed RWR are literally useless and you can easily dodge any type of SARH missiles on another thread and now you’re saying they are actually usable.

Man this hypocracy is really lovely.

2 Likes

This is what i mean. I hope y’all appreciate my expressionist illustration.

Because it takes a shallower approach to the target usually the target ends up outrunning/out energying the missile because the missile for some reason decided to take the longest route possible. If it only had taken a more direct path it would hit, basically any other missile would have hit.

1 Like

Thats some top notch goal post moving there along with a good ol’ dose of putting words in my mouth lmao.

I never said I struggle fighting radar missiles, and at range you can defeat most if not all types of radar missiles seen in-game rather easily. This doesnt change the fact that the R-27ER is an objectively superior missile in every conceivable metric in WT compared to the AIM-54, and is widely considered the best missile in-game.

I also didnt state RWR is useless, what I stated is that defeating AIM-54’s can be done extremely easily with or without RWR seeing as due to gaijins modelling, the missile has a very small window of actual usability, and you can therefor infer when theAIM-54’s will be launched and towards where, allowing you to defeat them by basic positional adjustments. So on that case, you’re just flat out lying.

You’re also just bringing this thread more and more off topic with you continuous goal post moving, straw man arguments, and just abject lies xD

Yes, you are.

@Panther2995 no need to continue discussing with Mythic. He wants to post bait like this and keep derailing my thread (that he claims he can’t see cuz he has me “blocked”).
@Malekitth You also, let’s ignore him. He wants nothing more than to see y’all replying further.

Nothing more needs explained, we can see through his crap.

2 Likes

İndeed.

That long paragraph shows his true intentions and im not gonna let him derail this topic.

1 Like

Lmao. ‘failed’ for budgetary reasons not performance.

4 Likes

There is a thread for that, please move it there.

R-73 has an even more complex guidance profile than normal where its varying its PID terms based on flight time. This is likely why it takes wonky trajectories.
Left AIM-9M, right R-73:

It seems like a bit of an odd way to implement a guidance controller tbh, particularly when no other missile has a similar thing…

Just pointing it out, especially when the last 30 posts have been moaning about hypocrisy when it’s been blatant on both sides of the argument.