Vympel R-73 'ARCHER' - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

yep
This is how it is indicated for all rockets

https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/raschet-granitsy-garantirovannoy-zony-vozmozhnogo-puska-upravlyaemoy-rakety-klassa-vozduh-vozduh/viewer

So why not give us both versions.

4 Likes

PID moment

Looks like it overcompensated since technically the target was extremely far off-boresight and instead of recovering as it rapidly re-centered it just completely lost it

It tripped over

@Smin1080p Will Yak-141 ever receive R-73?

1 Like

Thrust vector angle seems to be joke

2 Likes

Therefore, we have a shortage of maneuverability

2 Likes

Must consider the speed it would be able to do so without flying out of control, also the integer in the code is not necessarily 1:1 with degrees of the vector.

We need turn radius based on speed or some method of calculating this for the missile to be made more maneuverable I think.

1 Like

I don’t see where you lost control. It looks like a simple aileron roll.

There is no excuse why the missile did not strike you or the target.

In missiles datamine table it converted to 4.05°, but not sure how they did that. We can try ask techmod or Stepanovich about this.

1 Like

GAIJIN simply hates the R-73 , If it was American everyone would be rioting and it would have been fixed in 1 month at most

The Closest US counterpart; the AIM-95 Agile was miraculously skipped over for one reason or another, and would have been a better match for the R-73 than the AIM-9M

F9F-8 AIM-95

AIM-95 F-8 & F-4

A-6 AIM-95

A-7 AIM-95

F-14A & AIM-95

There are still a number of outstanding reports for the F-14 / AWG-9 / AIM-54 that were made while they were on the dev server that have yet to be actioned.

6 Likes

You mean the missile that has failed and never entered to service?

Yea, i’ll pass that.

3 Likes

What are you talking about? There are western missiles that have been in-game longer and are in MUCH worse state than the R-73, namely the AIM-54C, or more recently fixed, the Magic II

Aim-54 is neither a common weapon nor a main weapon unlike R-73.

How so? The AWG-9 was specifically for use with the AIM-54, the F-14 was specifically designed around the use of the AIM-54, and the AIM-54 is tied for most numerous air to air weapon the F-14 can employ(6x tied with the AIM-7). The AIM-54 may only be on 2 aircrafts, but so is the R-73, and the AIM-54 is a “main” weapon in similar ways as the R-73 is on the MiG-29.

The only thing stopping the AIM-54 from being a “main” weapon is gaijins shit modelling and/or balancing decisions that are holding it back to the point of making the missile comically bad in-game. The fact that its bad in-game is in no way related to how central it is/should be to the aircrafts design and gameplay style if it was realistically modelled.

2 Likes

R-73 is on 4 aircraft. Bro forgot counting. Im all for correcting AIM-54 , along with R-73. But R-73 is a bigger deal than AIM-54, you can’t say otherwise

5 actually, my mistake, I didn’t count the Su-25’s seeing as they are strike aircrafts and therefore should not be using the R-73 as a “main weapon” either, seeing as they shouldn’t be engaging in air combat.

Its also only 3 if you consider TT vehicles.

its REALLY not lmao, the difference in performance between the in-game R-73 and irl R-73 compared to the in-game AIM-54C and irl AIM-54C aren’t even close.

Not to mention the fact the R-73 is a genuinely strong and capable missile, with many great players arguing its either the best or second best IR missile in-game, while only shit players think the AIM-54 is anything more than a skill check for the worst pilots and a mechanic to punish AFK players currently.

1 Like