Vympel R-73 'ARCHER' - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

Check them all out, learn how to source opinions on something more than “gut feeling” (especially one that’s been dead wrong for months).
https://community.gaijin.net/issues/u/771415/issues?limit=100

I’ve got the following I made for R-73 lacking thrust vectoring animation

It pulling less towards targets makes it not even reach the targets because it is taking such a long route , no matter how much less drag it has. I will record some videos from my matches and share it

1 Like

I am very confused with your mentality, do you think GJ only changes their game based on “tangibles” and reports from users like you? Has nothing to do with balance or their bottom line?

Wow they really popped your cherry with the first acknowledged report huh? “SHE LOVES ME! She said I am the chosen one! we are going to get married and its only my reports filled with tangibles that changes the game. Not money or game balance!”

“Just my tangibles!”

I’m aware of these issues, the videos would be useful to show it though. Gaijin is probably still working on it seeing as they made some changes.

I’ve seen some videos of R-73 from 80s or 90s and it’s pathing looks A LOT more aggressive towards the target IRL , pulling aggressively
towards the target in a more direct route.

while in game it just tried to go parallel to the target lol

Well, yes. It’s a dogfight missile afterall. It is meant for very short ranges, in spite of the fact that it out-ranges the R-60 series.

“It is a dogfight missile.” It’s IRCCM should be good in dogfight ranges then?

Ok then, then why does it get flared at 1.5 KM range where the 9M would have hit.You only get 1 shot on an F-16 in the MIG-29 anyway, if it misses you die. This missile needs some reworking or flares are too busted in this game, being too good.

İt wasn’t a side or front aspect shot either , it was a top/rear aspect shot that had direct view of the nozzles , and it was quickly transitioning to rear aspect , yet it still got spoofed

I even waited 2 seconds before firing to increase the chance of CM rejection because I know this garbage missile would most likely get flared and yet it still did get flared. Absolute garbage

I’ve had it work many times but not work a lot more times, even under great firing conditions.
What I want is reliability, like the 9M.

The only target it hits %90 is level 20 F-4S players.

If the info i read is true, then they also need to start modeling Soviet flares which were apparently more effective vs 9M and Western flares which were found to be weak vs soviet IRCCM according to my limited knowledge. (might be wrong correct me if that is the case)

2 Likes

It doesn’t need a rework. It’s performing as it should, more capable IRCCM will come on future ordnance.

Loving the thrust vectoring

2 Likes

The guidance can be improved, but that doesn’t really argue against the IRCCM point.

So the IRCCM getting spoofed vs an Afterburning F-16 at 1.5KM is alright?

Meanwhile 9M requires you dump half your flares while actively evading. Just 1 tap flare the R-73 lmao.

1 Like

I haven’t needed more than one or two flare pops to evade a 9M, it’s stupid easy.

Yeah to avoid aim9m isn’t about how many flares you dump but when you use the flares and how you move after using them

Good luck moving out of its way at 1.5 km or when low energy. Meanwhile the R-73 simply eats 1 flare

1 Like

The Irccm of the two missiles are not the same so they don’t perform the same

Yes you are right, the IRCCM on R-73 is simply trash, as can be seen here from 10 minutes ago. Maybe you’d know if all you ever played was not Britain. Even a 9L would have hit here.

4 Likes

That doesn’t counter my point and i have planes that have the r73 and ones that have 9ms

Yes your point is true , R-73 has an IRCCM that doesn’t work 9/10 times , while 9M has a practical IRCCM that works most of the time.

1 Like

They don’t have the same type of irccm so it will perform different

Yes that’s what I’m saying , I agree with you. The one on R-73 simply doesn’t do anything most of the time it’s a gimmick.

I know how both of their İRCCMs work.