Vympel R-73 'ARCHER' - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

Reheat off and possibly the best possible flare launcher location. Right under the engine and shoots off to one side.

The IRCCM of the R-73 was good, but wasn’t that good;
A short burst of flares is enough to decoy it. Also this trial is using GR.1/1A which means an outboard BOZ-107 pod which is a very poor location to decoy from.

5 Likes

I think the issue here is that people are taking early methods of IRCCM as “should almost never be decoyed by flares” instead of “will resist being decoyed by flares sometimes”.

The other issue is probably from the fact the 9M seems to reliably hit through flares by comparison, since it shuts the seeker off and uses inertial guidance, and players are still flaring 9M’s as it they were 9J/H/L’s and expecting it to work (turning hard and dumping flares while maintaining a single direction), and as such, the R-73 users are displeased by the fact their missile isn’t doing the same, irrelevant of the fact that they dont work the same and the 9M’s success is simply due to it abusing bad players poor game knowledge.

3 Likes

Hopefully gaijin will fix the flight path for thrust vectoring missiles. Currently they always take the worst path possible. Hopefully they will fix it before we get more modern thrust vectoring missiles

I’m more confused as to why it has a variable PID controller unlike every other missile in-game. Its probably the source of the problem to some degree. I raised this issue before but it got flagged by the group of ppl who run around the forums flagging anything from anyone they dont like lmao.

I think they are trying to test new mechanics with it. We are probably going to get more thrust vectoring missiles in the upcoming updates.

I think variable PID has something to do with thrust vectoring. Since some values arent that constant compared to other missiles.

MBDA MICA is the only upcoming thrust vectoring missile afaik. Stuff like AIM-9X or IRIS-T isnt coming for a while id guess, seeing as thats 15+ years from the current missile tech for western vehicles, and more like 30+ years for russian missiles

Gaijin could always nerf them into the ground like they enjoy doing tho and then spend 1 year+ gaslighting the community about technical documents and the likes. This works very well with newer missiles since technical documents are harder to come by

Is R-73E same as the current R-73 in game?

yeah

1 Like

FOV tightening is a great technique for avoiding flares entering the FOV of the seeker, but really does nothing to help when they are in LOS.

In fact it works against the missile because once a flare is captured in the FOV its pulled off from the target and is very unlikely to then catch the target in the FOV again due to the tightening FOV.

You can see this by using R-60M or AIM-9L, lock a flaring target and watch the flare burn out as the engine is just in the FOV. The seeker will snap back to the target. In the same scenario the R-73 FOV would be too small to “catch” the target again.

So in short the R-73 is good at potentially avoiding the flares coming into its FOV at all, buts its worse once they have.

2 Likes

If mica can come then why not AIM-9X?

Yeah its a copy paste.

Maybe, but the changing PID intervals are at weird steps… 3 seconds, 3.5 seconds, 5.5 seconds, and 6 seconds, despite the missile being an all boost motor at 5.5 seconds burn time and no delay.

I think they tried to copy those values from some performance graph. I don’t see any reason to add intervals.

Nonsense

They could add MICA RF and hold out on MICA IR like they did for R-27ET

I think they have added those intervals to prevent the missile from spinning out of control like the sraam

Clearly it didnt work

Maybe they have some game engine limitations

I don’t understand why you would think that an aim-9l would hit here, you didn’t even consider the possibility of kfir cutting throttle, which is very likely the case considering the closing speed

1 Like

yup