Vympel R-27 'ALAMO' - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

And a discontinuation of the seeker is not relevant to the testing and usage of the missile.

It is a seeker upgrade for an existing missile, it is entirely relevant.

But judging the production records of a missile on the seeker alone is a horrible equivalency to make. The R-27EA and EM were tested heavily from the late 80s onwards into the early 90s, and testing concluded in 92-93.

You are just throwing in some random fake statements based on Wikipedia level sources

2 Likes

You’re throwing around a copy/paste image (horribly cropped, at that) that says nothing about the cancellation of the R-27EA and EM testing.
All that is shown in your images is that government commission to the R-27 ARH program was cut. It shows nothing of the development of the A/EA lineage in conjunction with that of the ER/ET, nor its additional use during the state tests of '88-'91.

Sorry that I don’t want to share everything I has to some random guy that thinks missile can be used without seeker and and didn’t bring scanner to library

Sorry, was that supposed to be english?

It says nothing about it being used without a seeker, it states that MoD funding was cut for the program.

Who cares, it meets the criteria for being added to the game and the history is irrelevant in this since it wasn’t a production variant.

2 Likes

Range, speeds, and seekers are open with information about them, I hope they’re added as an alternative for aircraft that don’t get R-77s.

1 Like

Do we know anything about the datalink necessary to communicate with these missiles?

Is it an additional antenna? Does it use the radar wave manipulation like the R-27R uses (unlikely)? If it does use a separate antenna, what is it, where was it installed, and was it ever installed on anything?

It would be very fun to have the r27EA. I guess it still has a datalink? Does maintaining a hard lock on the enemy help guiding an ARH missile?

Obviously its better than TWS but i mean after the missile goes “pitbull”. Does the missile gain any info from a hard locked target or is it completely useless after the missile goes “pitbull”

1 Like

I suppose it could be used to help it differentiate from countermeasures and other things, or to lock the correct target… or even to drop lock upon realization it is a friendly or something. I think the R-27’s older datalink is not capable of any of these, though.

You’d have to look into the latest R-77-1’s capabilities to understand what the R-27EA might have potentially gained in terms of features.

1 Like

Fixed image links - note that performance data is outdated.

1 Like

Does anyone have any info on how the R-27R’s datalink works?

I’ve heard its integrated with the SARH seeker. It might be one-way only? And does it read a signal from the guiding radar?

And, if that is the case, wouldn’t it need to be within the guiding radar’s beam to receive the data (hence possibly why it doesn’t loft?)

(MFW I realize I posted the same question 3 months ago)

There is no data sent back from the missile, only to it.
If the launch is within the distance that the missile’s seeker is able to lock, it behaves just like your usual SARH missile.
If it is past that but within around 1.5x of that (or 1.3, I don’t remember), Missile uses INS to fly intercept towards where the target is projected to be until it is able to lock the missile with its own seeker.
If it is past all the above (more than 1.5x the distance the missile can lock the target), the missile flies intercept like described above, except now, the fighter will also calculate any deviations from the projected course of the target and send that info to the missile as corrections.

When the missile flies with INS and/or with “Data link”, it positions its seeker to look at where it thinks the target will be (this info is calculated by the fighters weapons computer) around the time it gets within range

1 Like

бортовой комплекс САМОЛЕТОВОЖДЕНИЯ, ПРИЦЕЛИВАНИЯ И УПРАВЛЕНИЯ ВООРУЖЕНИЕМ САМОЛЕТА МиГ-29Б (СУВ-29Э и сопрягаемые системы

Check this. Its a bit long and you’ll need to use yandex.

It’s one way only. Sidelobes should give out enough power.
It doesn’t loft due to how it’s programmed. It’ll would conflict aswell with the seekerhead. Before it get’s launched, the receiver antenna gets locked in place to aim at the direction where the target is expected to be when the missile reaches certain distance from the target. If you make it loft, it would(should as ofc all guidance is magically made up ingame) correct itself. A second problem would arise from the antenna not pointing where the target will be. And if you make it loft, energy from sidelobes may not be enough.

If you lose lock(or its dropped), the radar itself stops the illumination mode. Relocking is not possible and the missile is trashed

The corrections are sent through a 7bit barker code(1s and 0s) through a carrier Continuous wave + 208/228kHz depending on the signals

1 Like

Thank you much!

1 Like

A cursory google-translated view seems to suggest then that the datalink is heavily overperforming in-game?

It seems that the system can’t compensate for losing the lock (the math would be spoiled, and thus the commands sent to the missile from the launching aircraft would be totally incorrect in navigating it)

Additionally, it seems that “manual lofting” may cause guidance problems in that the missile might stop receiving guidance updates from the launching aircraft for a substantial amount of time until it re-intercepts the radar beam, again throwing off the math and spoiling the tracking

And given you state the data is transmitted via a CW (I think its the same beam which the seeker uses to navigate to target?) it shouldn’t be able to update its datalink via TWS either?

Though, I certainly might be wrong, I’m pretty much clueless in this regard and I’m reading through google translate.

Anyway Its a pretty interesting way to do the datalink (and I think its likely very similar to the AIM-54)

2 Likes

R-27 data is transmitted from main lobe not sidelobes iirc the datalink is not the same as later more complex missiles such as AIM-7P, AMRAAM, R-77, etc.

Isn’t the sidelobe just energy not going the direction the antenna intends? AFAIK every antenna has it to some degree including the CW emitter

Also, wouldn’t it be important for the R-27 to get signal at all stages of flight, just incase the target maneuvers?