Vympel R-27 'ALAMO' - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

IMG_0824

2 Likes

it is US vs UK manual. Which one is more reliable? not sure

The US F-4J tactics manual states the AIM-9D/G/H can pull 18g in the specifications list, but states it can pull over 20g in some conditions later on in the text.

I suspect 18g is the most it is can pull at certain launch conditions (say Mach 0.9 at sea level), and 23g is the most it is theoretically capable of pulling.

1 Like

Altitude and therefore speed potentially.

Yeah, IRL jets aren’t afterburning constantly, especially something like a phantom

Does anyone have any official reports or authored works comparing the R-24T and R-27T heat seeker performances?

Well, no… honestly I’m really confused about how you arrived at that conclusion.

The relevant documentation had shown it should not be guiding the missile from TWS/IRST and it turned out to be a bug that was fixed with an overhaul to the radar modes.

More recently, there was an issue where all missiles could be launched from TWS / IRST modes for some reason and this was also subsequently fixed. Neither of these issues have anything to do with the current state of the missile. As of right now, it’s performing according to the relevant primary sources. I’ll ask again, if you have anything to show it is not performing as it should be why not link it? Why not share the relevant data or make a report yourself?

If there is indeed a disparity, I’d personally be glad to report it for you. I just need the information that shows it.

1 Like

Can you demonstrate it on video for us?

Multipathing, affects all missiles that are radar guided in-game right now.
Everything else to the best of my knowledge is correct regarding the R-27R/ER at the moment.

I would certainly like one, but preferably it would have to prove 2-3 primary documents entirely wrong…
I don’t really think you have ANY source or basis for the opinion and it is nothing more / less than that for you… but it is what it is. Hoping you’ve got something useful to share <3

We can continue the conversation here.

Missile is underperforming at high altitude because all missiles in-game are configured for 1-5km altitude performance metrics for the most part. In this case, missiles such as AIM-7F which have much longer burn times are at a significant advantage in war thunder.

No source? Seemed you were adamant about this opinion.

1 Like

You have your answer, was I not clear enough? (I’m referring to in-game btw, not sure if that was clear or not).

Did I say anything about a game, son? I asked you a simple yes or no question. Does a missile perform the same at all altitudes. Yes or no.

You’re a very smart dude. You know the answer to that question as much as I do. In the context of the game, the R-27ER is underperforming at higher altitudes because it was configured for the charts at altitudes of 1-5km instead of 20km. This was done intentionally, and it favors missiles with longer burn times such as AIM-7F.

You can’t shuck responsibility for your statements by asking dishonest questions and pretending not to understand the honest answers.

A rocket cannot fly the same way at different altitudes. The rocket opens at altitudes of more than 12 km

1 Like

It’s been affecting all missiles?
https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/dnR2P4I9b0Ai
https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/dx4FKVHJgNpZ

He knows, he’s been baiting/ derailing this thread enough. You can quote him and then copy / paste it into the correct threads and it will post a convenient link under his comment for him to click and carry on the conversation over here.

1 Like

The thing is, the information claiming low accuracy and target overloads stemmed from the same period of information as when people thought R-27 was a 24G missile… you can see where I’m going.

It was later shown R-27R/ER is capable of 35G, etc. I would not be surprised if the R-27P/EP have pretty good effectiveness against certain radars.

1 Like

the whole R-27P/EP is mysterious in its own right, the manual goes into great detail on the effectiveness of R-27ER/ET even giving PKs in various scenarios but the R-27P/EP are simply mentioned that “hey these exist, this is how you shoot them btw”

1 Like

@BBCRF I understand its a passive missile but the manual explicitly describes one method of operation is to use phi-0 mode to prevent missile capture of the fighters own radar, but also mentions use with RLPK-29 lock which contradicts the fact it can capture its own fighters radar, its reasonable to assume this is because there are 2 ways to guide the R-27P/EP:

1. Pure passive from a boresight launch in phi-0
    or
  2. either passive or semiactive from an STT lock or in some form assisted by the launch aircraft radar

There are two methods. Target detection and capture.Capturing a target offline

I pressume this refers to using the radar

And this refers to phi-0

I just find it odd it mentions its possible for the missile to acquire its own radar emissions and then says you can use the radar for R-27P/EP operations