Useless teammates

I know it’s an old topic on this game. But feels like recently it has been getting worse and worse. It’s so frustrating seeing at least 4 teammates just go to the edge of the map and try to immediately spawn camp, or just stop before a point and not move at all. It’s especially frustrating seeing the whole team go to one point, cap and just stay there the entire game while the enemy caps the other points and spawn camps the rest of the players.

I don’t know if it’s just me or I’ve never payed attention to it before but this player base seems to get more annoying by the day. In addition the people who only bring one vehicle, like the ITPSV or other tank, die and just leave if they don’t get a nuke.

Has it always been this bad or just getting worse for a long time?

1 Like

This has always been a single player game.

3 Likes

I don’t want to be rude, but I feel like this mentality is exactly why this game is going to shit. People just play for themselves and kills, not capping objectives or anything. When I get a team that actually goes for caps more often that not the game is won.

2 Likes

You can be rude or you can be polite, doesn’t change a thing. In this game you have enemies in blue and enemies in red.

You want to kill the enemies in red because it advances your progress in the game. You ideally don’t want to help the enemies in blue because if they get the kills/caps that isn’t helping you advance. Sure people will help a blue enemy, but only if they gain from doing it too otherwise you’re just shooting yourself in the foot.

The difference between a win and a loss for bonus RP/SL is negligible now. Far more important to focus on maximising own kills for progress now.

3 Likes

Sadly that is true

CrimsonCastle, this is one of my annoying frustrations the last two or three years…However I have only ever played Air RB, it is the same thing.
The quality of the gameplay for me has totally dropped, and to me the main reason is they are so concerned with making money and adding all these Premium packs where players can join in BR ratings that take some experience, with no experience at all.
I might add I found Warthunder in Beta when I was looking for a good online chess game, which up until a few years ago, it was a battle “chess game”
I have lost a lost of interest, but when I do play I might as well kill all the noobs while Im at it.

So gaijin should increase rewards for caps or assists or both, decrease the gain from kills while in the enemy detection zone/ enemy spawn, otherwise people will continue to spawn rush in hopes of getting as many kills as possible.
Another problem is, the average person that does this has no game sense whatsoever, so they end up wasting 5 minutes hiding or riding the edge of the map just to get killed.
I don’t know if it’s a good idea, but increase the RP or SL gain or both, from winning AND losing, so matches have a chance of being longer instead of ending in 5 minutes because everyone leaves.

I get screwed over by teammates constantly, whether it’s that they won’t give a firing position to a gun that is obviously more powerful (not just to me, to literally anybody), pushing me out of the way when I’m trying to take a shot, abandoning caps that would save the game, the list is literally endless. To some degree it’s my own stupidity for expecting teammates to follow taciturn directions, or to follow someone else’s directions period, but at the same time if I tell you to please shoot the enemy on my flank so I can focus on sniping on C and holding the entire game you should really listen. A lot of blame also goes on them just because people can’t or don’t want to sit with the fact that they messed up, and while I can’t say I’m innocent of this I don’t do it as much as other people. Most of the issue is in two things: 1, vehicle tier has absolutely no bearing on skill. Whether it’s because of top tier premiums, lucky games, or whatever, it is entirely plausible to get pretty far on minimal skill. This means that you sometimes legitimately wind up with teammates who would barely perform at reserve. 2, The fact that Gaijin does not do really anything to actually encourage people to play the objective or help teammates. Repair help gives poultry SP, capping points makes you a sitting and GPS tracked duck for literally anything, and stealing kills is to your benefit. These are all fixable. Gaijin doesn’t want to put the effort into figuring out how, mostly because this community is so horribly toxic that it’s impossible to actually work with them. Make doing stuff like helping with repairs give more SL/RP, make points easier to cap or more rewarding to do so, and make kills that give someone else an assist give less reward. I’m not an expert on balance, but 2200 hours in this game and over 3000 battles give me a pretty solid reference for it. The best you can do? Don’t be that guy. Don’t be the one who suicide bombs because you died early. Help people repair. Cover them when they need it, and let them cover you. If we all avoid doing the bad things, then the people who do them will legitimately stand out and it will be obvious “This guy is the problem”. Don’t do what you hate other people for doing, and do what you hate other people for not doing. That applies in or out of the game.

My theory is the F-16XL in the Space Program Event that causing “useless teammates”. You get team of useless teammates with “every man for himself” or “Self first, the rest can damned” in battle. If you look at the F-16XL in Space Program Event many players just want the free verhicle and sell it on Gaijin market or add it to they hangar.

There are up to 16 random players on a team from around the world with individual daily tasks, special tasks, event/battle pass/pages of history/etc tasks which may not require capturing a zone or winning and are just about destroying a specific vehicle type while being in a specific vehicle (or variation of that theme), or some other specific set of conditions, and with a very restricted means of multi-language communication…

It’s just the way it is… like a band where everyone does a solo at the same time

Another issue that I see CONSTANTLY in air battles is messing up 1v1s. I don’t expect a teammate to perfectly decide if I need help or not, but if I’m having a dogfight 7 klicks away with a single other person there is absolutely NO REASON to come out and steal the kill. There’s a stark difference between “I’m getting tag-teamed by 5 guys and need help” and “I’m in a normal 1v1 or 2v1 and holding my own just fine”. I don’t expect somebody to be able to tell the difference perfectly but both sides will come in and steal a kill. I frankly NEVER want cover in a 1v1, if you win the dogfight you earn the kill. If I see a teammate having trouble in a fight, if they don’t ask for cover I hover until the fight ends and if the enemy came out on top, only then do I take the kill. There is a degree of nuance that I don’t and can’t expect somebody to be able to judge, but it’s generally pretty clear if somebody needs/wants help or not.

These players just quit. One death and quit. I think the maps, combined with terrible match rewards and unbalanced map design just makes it not enjoyable to stick around to the end of the match. Every second game no matter the BR results in one team just quitting and match ending.