Update 2.33.0.96

Sound

• The engine sounds of enemy and allied ground and air vehicles fade more prominently and lose high frequencies over distance. This means that situations with excessive “noise” in the environment have been corrected, and the realism of the sound has improved.
  • The HSTV-L and Abrams tank series have been made to sound less distinctive as the distance increases.
  • New sounds have been created for the Challenger 2 tank engines. The old Challenger 2 sounds have been transferred to the Chieftain tank series.
  • The throttle sounds of the player’s ground vehicles will now stop if the throttle button is pressed and then released before the throttle sound ends.
  • A bug where piston aircraft sounded similar to each other has been fixed, meaning each engine type sounds unique again. This applies to both the player’s vehicles and the vehicles of enemies and allies.
  • The flyby volume of jet aircraft has been reduced.

The current provided changelog reflects the major changes within the game as part of this Update. Some updates, additions and fixes may not be listed in the provided notes. War Thunder is constantly improving and specific fixes may be implemented without the client being updated.

34 Likes

Challenger’s new engine sound is INCREDIBLE (both in terms of quality and accuracy), and Abrams can no longer be heard across the whole map anymore! I am so happy to see the two biggest sound-related issues at Top Tier fixed.

Thank you for this patch, and for addressing these issues!

20 Likes

Good cahnge for the abrams then

Funny to see the pipe on the buffs for the Abrams being opwned with the dawn of their winrate.

Almost as if all of this was intentional…

1 Like

Finally, now Chieftain based Tanks actually sound like it is supposed to and the new Challenger sound is amazing but i found something out of place. I don’t know what a Vickers Mk.1 and Mk.3 sounds like but now they also sounds like a Chieftain… even vehicles that are not supposed to, like Swedish AA Pbv 301.

1 Like

Now the nickname “whispering death” is finally appropriate.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Too be fair it was too loud you could hear them a mile away

I’ve made one match with Abrams and it felt more competetive now, you can see difference between this sound and the old real jet sound.

I hope excessive track noise on many tanks will be fixed at some point. Many tanks that share track noise have them louder than the engines. It’s even tied to the engine volume setting so it can’t be adjusted.

1 Like

Honestly, I still think the current sound of the prop engine is pretty terrible and the old one(pre 1.73) needs to be rolled back.

All the old sounds were appropriated from the Birds of Steel sold 13 years earlier, but those sounds were recorded from irl engines, and the DB 605 and R-2800 engines sound were quite good.

4 Likes

Both Vickers Mk.1 and Mk.3 along with Vijayanta should sound like Chieftain since all 3 use same engine

1 Like

there are simply no sounds, there is a tank in front of you and you can’t hear it, abrams is driving in front of you and you can’t hear it. worst sound update ever since i’ve been playing

3 Likes

Glad you like the Challenger 2 sounds — I had the same reaction when hearing it too :D

3 Likes

Hey, the Vickers having the same sound as the Chieftain now should be correct: same engine. For the Pbv 301, the sound devs are aware. Thanks!

2 Likes

The Abrams (and spooksmobile) turbine being too loud was an issue for YEARS, and yet only now it was fixed.

Good Job with the new sounds on the Challenger 2! On a side note, some vehicles got this change wrongly, hopefully it gets fixed soon

Spoiler

MARS 15 incorrect engine sound // Gaijin.net // Issues
SK105A2 incorrect engine sound // Gaijin.net // Issues
AMX-30 ( All Variants ) incorrect engine sound // Gaijin.net // Issues

Same with the Challenger 2 engine it was wrong for years

Very good changes. Glad to see sthing like Abrams Crs Chiefs and HSTVL fixed after a long time.
The throttle is also a good thing, as hearing full sound from a single tap was weird.

1 Like

Love to hear the sound quality is still being improved since it’s one of the most important features of the game. While I haven’t heard the changes yet, I loved hearing the sound of a low fly-by prop as much as jet. Depending of how much they reduced the noice level i don’t think that it was something needed to be changed. I think that adding the option to change it yourself like with the sounds of gun fire and other things like that would be a better solution.
Anyway that was pretty much all i had to say, would love to hear what you guys think of it.

1 Like

But I thought it was historical