Ukraine Ground Forces Tree

This will be a great addition. I’ll wait until we see the first complete vehicle, then I’ll make sure it gets added.

5 Likes

Does this system use Airburst or Shrapnel ammunition, like AHEAD?

Im just not sure where this would be placed in the tree, with or without Airburst Munitions.
Everything including and above the Strela 1 is SAM.

1 Like

Doesn’t this get APDS as well as Ahead… if so It could kind of act like a sudo IFV depending on how much APDS is available and how effective the Ahead changes, which look good so far, on the dev go.

1 Like

According to official KNDS press release:

Ukrainian army will receive 54 RCH 155
78 CAESAR systems are in production for Ukraine (in addition to ones already in service)
At least 25 PzH 2000 are in service in Ukraine and there’s more in production.

4 Likes

Oh I’m glad the discussion and debate continues, thanks also to those watching for following the rules and removing the violators who come in here with politics.

By the way, I thank everyone, I learned about the technique of Ukraine, which I did not even know about.
This is one of the hottest and Longest topics of the last year! Congratulations!

6 Likes

According to AM General corporation Program Director Mike Evans, they delivered newest 105 mm 2-CT Hawkeye (full name “2-CT Hawkeye Mobile Howitzer System”) to Ukraine, where it was extensively combat tested.

Could be an interesting premium\event vehicle if\when artillery systems mechanics get more developed in War Thunder.

4 Likes

Nah. Hawkeye is fully direct-fire capable with a depression of -5 degrees. Hell, if the customer wanted, the gun could also be configured to rotate a full 360 degrees. The vehicle could be added tomorrow and fit in fine. No need for new mechanics.

Spoiler

The real issue you’d run into with the Hawkeye is its ammunition selection. More specifically, the comparatively low HE filler all of the selection shares. It still fires the tried and true M1 HE found on the M4A3 (105), which only has a max pen of 27mm in-game. And no, the filler weight of M1 HE has not changed between WW2 and present day. The filler type probably did though, so you may be able to get a few extra millimeters. The M913 RAP HE has a heftier filler weight of 2.93kg but that still probably won’t get you past 40mm of pen. There are the more modern M1130 and M1130A1 PF HE rounds, however, a cursory search didn’t yield any numbers on filler weight so I’m not sure how they’d perform. That being said, if we really wanted the Hawkeye in-game, we could bend the rules a bit and give it M662 HEATFS, which the Hawkeye gun could theoretically fire. The M662 is an old 105mm howitzer round intended to give the aforementioned howitzers increased anti-armor capability. To achieve this, it uses the same projectile as the M456 HEATFS round found on the M60 but shoved into a howitzer cartridge. This would give it 400mm of penetration.

5 Likes

Both are irrelevant to the game where you participate in some fantasy skirmishes on fantasy vehicles that only visually resemble the originals.
Also you obviously missed some pretty important WT news from last week.

4 Likes

Yeah but that could be said of any tree really. Polish tree? Significant copy and paste. Czechoslovakian tree, Yugoslavian, or Korean Tree? Same. This tree, like those, adds a number of unique vehicles that would be intertwined with C&P. We’re past the point of full tree individualism anymore, everyone uses each others equipment.

• Edit:
    • I mean look at Poland alone, they operate the M1A1 FEP, M1A2 SEPv2, M1A2 SEPv3, K2PL Black Panther, Leopard 2A4, Leopard 2A5, Leopard 2PL, T-72M, and PT-91 Twardy. That’s a lot of main battle tank variants, and top rank C&P technically but many still want the tree (including myself). However, they, like Ukraine, also have there own indigenous developments.
    • The PT-91 and its variants are a modification of the T-72M1 which is similar to what Ukraine has done with its tank, the T-80UD being developed into the BM Oplot or the heavily modernized/revolutionary ‘Yatagan’ for example, with other similar situations. This is the reality of new trees.
    • The best part that separates Ukraine from several other post-Soviet/Warsaw Pact nations is that they retained there defense industry, which was a cornerstone of development in the old Soviet-Union, through and produced vehicles like the BM Oplot, T-84 Oplot, BTR-4’s, BTR-3’s, Otaman IFV, etc. as well as they modify tanks that aren’t really seen anywhere else anymore like the T-64 variants. Taking it a step further back, the different famous factories such as the Malyshev Factory in Ukraine produced many vehicles like the T-64, T-80, and all the way back to the T-34, T-44 and T-54 tanks. Not to mention, they have exported quite a few vehicles around the world such as to Thailand, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Pakistan, Georgia, The Congo, and others.
    • Unique technology can be a factor too. They make there own GL-ATGM’s like the 125mm Kombat or 120mm Konus missiles, have the Stugna/Barrier family of tandem-warhead ATGM’s, RK-10 surface-to-air missiles, have turret-bustle autoloaded tanks (like the ‘Yatagan’ or T-72-120) which is insane and way safer than traditional autoloaders, they produce Kontact-1, Kontact-5, and there own ERA’s like the Nizh-1M, and Duplet-2M, and they even develop there own APS systems like the Zaslin Hard-kill APS which both Ukraine and Turkey use as well as the Varta which is a Ukrainian version of the Shtora-1 soft-kill APS.
  • The country definitely deserves a look into for its own tree, putting all politics aside, it has a lot of unique developments that many nations haven’t matched. See Drop-down below. Also, the ones I shared below are only my favorites, there are plenty of others.
Images of Some Unique Vehicles ^

T-84 Oplot

BM Oplot

BTR-4E

BTR-3E1

BMPT Strazh

T-64BV zr. 2017

BMP-1TS

T-72AMT

BMP-1U

Otaman-3

Kevlar-E

ZSU-23-4M-A1 ‘Rokach’

T-64BM1M

T-64BM2 ‘Bulat’

BTR-4MV1

Shturm-SM (a.k.a. Barrier-S)

BRDM-2 ‘Amulet’

BTR-4A

T-64E

T-84 ‘Yatagan’

T-72-120

Strela-10M (Modernized)

Strela-10 ‘Beam’

16 Likes

Ukrainian PT-91 Twardy with added slat armour on hull sides and in turret front right + rear

12 Likes

How did you do that it is awesome

5 Likes

Here’s some of the developments of Ukraine as well:

RK-10 multi-purpose missile being tested. Click the ‘Spoiler’ for more.

Spoiler

* All of these are ATGM’s with the R-2 missile being the missile used on vehicles like the BTR-4E.

* Different GL-ATGM’s with the Kombat being for 125mm and the Konus for 120mm barrels. The Falarick is also in this picture as well as seen in-game with the CV90105 and CT-CV 105.

* The RK-10 missile, a unique missile with a similar mission as the MIM-146 as seen on the ADATS. The RK-10 is a universal missile designed to destroy land or air targets and can be launched from helicopters or ground vehicles.

* The Gran air-to-air missile which is a follow on to the R-73, a missile which Ukraine produces as well.

* Kontact-1 (4S20U) and Kontact-5 (4S22U) compared with Ukrainian ERA developments, Nizh-1M and Duplet-2M.

* Ukraine’s Zaslin Hardkill APS.

8 Likes

Also fixed the Oplot’s image on the post.

5 Likes

Ukraine has wide selection of low rate production / prototype vichles which I would welcome. But there would be issues with aviation unless they add bunch of Soviet clones. Would be more resonable to add Eastern Europe tree that includes Ukraine.

Is there a chance to update the first post (description of the proposal)? A lot has changed since the thread was created. New people come in, see the T-34-85 and IS-2 at the forefront of the Ukrainian tree, and immediately, without reading the thread, write about “copy-pasting.” This also affects the voting. Most don’t even know about the proposal to split the Soviet tree into post-Soviet countries, which, in my opinion, is the only solution to the issue with aircraft in the Ukrainian tree. It also completely solves the “copy-pasting” issue in the ground tree.

9 Likes

The description has included other options like the “compromise” since I released the original suggestion on the old forum from last year. People see copy/paste vehicles regardless if I change the description or not and automatically go straight to complaining about it or “how Ukraine is a former USSR state and should go there”, etc. I do want to thank all those who take the time to read the suggestion and understand it in full before voting.

I do agree, the suggestion is due for a rework which I’ve slowly been working on over-time. Please stay tuned 🙂

P.S. As for aircraft, there will have to be copy-paste in that tree but with new additions such as the F-16AM and Mirage 2000-5F, etc. on-top of Ukrainian modifications such as the MiG-29UM2, and Su-27S1M, etc., I hope that will help ease people’s concerns.

7 Likes

Given we have Georgian 🇬🇪 vehicles in this tree, the cooperation between the two countries and similar “geopolitical realities” between them, we could add the Su-25KM to the Air-Tree aswell.

Israeli Opher, Lizard LGBs
Modern Cockpit
NATO Compatibility (ie, RWR)
R-73s

This would be the tree’s AMX-1A, which also uses the Israeli Lizard bombs

1 Like

Solid idea 🤙

Didn’t even know this thing existed @Merkko.

3 Likes

I’m actually working on updating the tree right now, so I’ve already made a tech tree template for it.

Spoiler

2 Likes

Ukrainian Leopard 2A4CAN (we already seen this one last summer on different photos)

Ukrainian T-72AV

4 Likes