Type 89 ATGM Flight Model

So the flight model of the Type 79 ATGM on the Type 89 Japanese IFV is awful.

It drastically dips towards the earth after firing and then sways left and right.
It doesn’t stabilize and fly straight until roughly 600m.

Here is a video of the Type 89 firing it’s ATGM. You can see that there is 0 drop and 0 wobble in flight. The quality isn’t the greatest, but the initial part of the flight is still visible:

I haven’t had much like finding more footage of this particular SACLOS ATGM, but no IRL ATGM flies like the Type 79 in game. They don’t drastically dive towards the earth or corkscrew through the air.

If anyone has any better footage perhaps I can create a bug report

Here is footage from the test drive of the missile diving like crazy:

Spoiler

https://streamable.com/694hpl

I was slightly inclined when firing as can be seen here:

Spoiler

18 Likes

Yeah it’s pretty bad i have been killed due to those wobbles and worse Type 89 only has 4 missile so every missle has to count.

3 Likes

It’s so dumb, it’s like they are designed to miss

8 Likes

ATGM-HE flies straight, but its power is too weak…

Just found this quote on bloody Wikipedia of all places, which is quoting Jane’s Infantry Weapons:

The missile is steered in flight by command signals from the launcher transmitted over a guidance wire spooled out behind the missile. A xenon lamp on the rear of the missile allows the NEC manufactured launcher sight unit to compute an offset between the missile position and line of sight to the target, and calculate steering corrections based on this offset.

Dunno Gaijin, seems to me that this quote proves that the JSDF was a little smarter about their integration of the Type 79 on the Type 89, than just slapping two missile launchers on the side, hooking them up to the main sighting system and hoping for the best.

The Type 89 is already the most nerfed vehicle in the game at this point, there’s just no reason to give it one final kick by making the ATGMs borderline unusuable.

4 Likes

I hope Gaijin will fix ATGM type 89 in the future

2 Likes

Meanwhile

2 Likes

The BMP has beam riding missiles, so not the best comparison.

But the Type 79 seems worse than the TOWs which are wire guided though.

It seems to over-correct itself in both directions creating the corkscrew flight.
I think I will try to create a bug report

3 Likes

It’s not the same type of missile, it’s just convenient all the other missiles are complete ass in comparison to beam riding which happens to not be on any NATO vehicles as far as I know.

3 Likes

Can’t it also shoot on the move?

2 Likes

Yes, also exclusive to Russia I think, because reasons.

3 Likes

There is an acknowledged report already from 2 months ago:

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/vybLP0irccTE

It’s in Russian but it reports the same thing

I’d recommend making a report for this

1 Like

You want gaijin to fix something in japan tech tree? Are you insane? Most likely they would never fix something in tech tree they hate

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/live/GY2bqfCaSGk?si=MCqSV4RFGakgyGIg&t=2606

Working as intended lol

Not to mention, if you try to fire the ATGM at the same angle as seen in the video the missile will refuse to move downwards and explode mid-air.

3 Likes

Gaijin: “Fix it? You mean INCREASE THE BR YES?! AAAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH-

5 Likes

they need to do something about the missile flight path for this thing. and an explanation as to all the nerfs it’s received if some are historical fine but i doubt all of them are there is no way the missile flys the way it does they are 100% useless and even worse you can only shoot 34 shells before you have to reload one by one. i am being serious here why is it with Japan we are always left in the dark we need answers some thing needs to be done to bring this vehicles to their attention.

5 Likes

Ok HOLD ON I CAN’T- This is just way too fucking shit to be real

1 Like

What happend?

d6a

1 Like