[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Tree Class Trawler

94437d9e398296c3ff9c4cbc140d96e2.jpg

(Photo of HMT Blackthorn)

Introduction:

Hi everyone, Today we have something a little different than my normal Armoured Cruiser fare, as I have decided to suggest something a little more diminutive this time, that being the Tree Class trawlers. This vessel should seem somewhat familiar to current players of the british coastal tree, as the tree class was nearly identical to the isles class trawler currently found in game, of which the tree class is often considered a subclass. Regardless to this, It is another possible class of Trawler vessels that could be added to the British tech tree, and as such I feel it is worthy for suggestion, even if its speed in the water is somewhat sluggish.

Vehicle design and history:

The Tree Class trawlers where just one of many classes of similar Admiralty trawler put into service by the Royal Navy just before and during world war 2, with 197 being built across 4 sub classes with the tree class composing of 20 vessels. Due to the nature of the navies requirements for navy trawlers, the Tree Class was nearly identical to the Isles Class trawlers, and as such is its often considered a sub-class of this class along with the related Dance and Shakespearian-class trawler . All four classes of ship served the same purpose within the fleet, as they where mainly used for mine sweeping and harbour defense, to which ends they where equipt with one 12-pounder gun (76mm) and three or four 20 mm Oerlikon AA guns, along with with 30 depth charges for anti submarine duties. During the war 6 vessles were lost: Almond, Ash, Chestnut, Hickory, Juniper and Pine, along with one being sold to Portugal in 1943, with HMT Juniper arguably being the most famous, as it was sank along with a british convoy by Admiral HIPPER off Norway on the 8th of june 1940. Regardless of these losses these robust vessels preformed their duty commendably, though once hostilites ceased, they were some of the first vessels sold by the navy due to their ease of being converted into fishing vessels. By 1946 only two remained in british service Olive and Walnut, and these were both sold in 1948, removing the class from british service.

Vehicle specification:

As Previously stated the Vessels in this class are nearly identical to the Isles class already present in game, and they possess the following specification:

unknown.png

These armaments do not seem to be internally consistant though between vessels, as you can see in the below historical images, which seem to show a general variance between the vessels in this class, and their overall armament seems to be based on need, though 3 x 20mm seems to be the most common in photographs.

Historical photos:

Postcard of HMT BIRCH:

Hide contents

unknown.png

Photo of HMT Bay

Hide contents

unknown.png

photo of HMT Larch:

Hide contents

unknown.png

Photo of HMT Acacia:

Hide contents