The Visegrád Group Tree (PL, CZ, HU, SK): European Powerhouse

I understand the idea of Poland getting the Baltics, but why would Czechoslovakia get Switzerland?

From what I remember Czechoslovakia sold some vehicles to Switzerland

I find that a fairly poor reasoning in all honesty, considering that there is no shared major military alliance of cooperation.
Especially considering that both nations could work on their own.

It doesn’t have to be Switzerland. It could be different country.

Most sensibly it would have been Hungary, but we all know that story :/

Yeah

Well since Hungary is going into Italy I suggest modern Ukraine to be part of this tree. Lot of what Ukraine gets is from these countries. :)

That would not be V4 anymore. V4 concept in WT is dead, unless we can remove Hungary from ITT. Not an impossible thing to do but very, very unlikely that it will happen.
One thing is for sure, any tree with Poland and Czechoslovakia, without Hungary cannot be called Visegrád Group anymore. Find a new name for it.

2 Likes

Yes true but history remembers how Italy was part of Germany and then it was taken out to its own TT.

5 Likes

Hmmm…it could be named differently with Czechoslovakia + Poland. In WW1 there was a Czechoslovak Legion which had both Czehoslovaks and Polish there. During WW2 Czechoslovaks and Polish were defending UK air together and were regarded among the best pilots during the battle of Britain.

But i would go with the Legion. TT would be named Czechoslovak but the flag would be Polish as the legion battle flag and 1st flag of Czechoslovakia was same as Polish flag. Top white and bottom red.

But for sure solution would be found. As i dont think many Polish, Czech and Slovak players wouldnt mind seeing each other vehicles under either of flags…as long as they dont go to Russia.

At that point just have Czechoslovakia or Poland independently and then have one be a sub-tree of the other, there would be little reason to complicate. It is very unfortunate that V4 likely won’t be possible anymore in this presented form.

1 Like

I agree. A man can dream – this isn’t quite as dead as the idea of a Commonwealth tree – but the future does not look good for V4.

4 Likes

But there is still chance for combo of Czechoslovakia + Poland TT together.

3 Likes

That would be nice. Especially now that it is clear that Hungary will be a sub for Italy.

Hungary as a subtree of Czechoslovakia? They fought each other before the war, they were on opposing sides of WW2, have no cultural connections and didn’t share all that much technology with each other (I can only think of the T-21 and Turan I’s development and how the Hungarian PSZH was exported to Czechoslovakia). Then considering Hungary has similar numbers of vehicles to Czechoslovakia, one being the subtree of another makes no sense. I would say maybe Romania could be a subtree for Czechoslovakia, but considering they didn’t make Hungary into an independent tech tree I doubt they’d ever make Czechoslovakia independent. I find Poland + Czechoslovakia combined has the best chance.

2 Likes

Poland on its own is very unlikely considering they had nothing during WW2 due to being occupied, and not a ton of stuff postwar. If they came on their own they would be very weak. Baltics as subtrees for Poland probably wouldn’t help. I can only think of like 2 vehicles originating anywhere from the Baltics, I doubt that would help Poland enough. Considering Czechoslovakia and Switzerland have a similar amount of vehicles it would be odd to make one into a subtree and the other into the main one. They also have absolutely no connection.

Considering people don’t agree on where Austria should go (between Germany and France), I think Switzerland + Austria could work (both Alpine, relatively neutral, German speaking, bordering each other), as well as Poland + Czechoslovakia + maybe Romania (or give Romania as a subtree to France).

Polish troops fought on many fronts throughout the WW2. They used Soviet, British, American as well as German vehicles. Czechoslovakia suffers in that same region as well.

1 Like

Hungary as a sub-tree makes a substantial amount of sense due to their largely similar modern history.

While sure, they didn’t have a great time with one another during WW2, they have shared a lot of military alliances since.
First they were all part of the Warsaw Pact, then all part of NATO and they also have a current military alliance, the V4.

This, as well as their general positivity to one-another makes me think that Hungary would make much more sense as part of a sub-tree for either Czechoslovakia or Poland or alternatively as part of a V4 tree rather than being placed in the Italian tree.

1 Like

True, Poland + Czechoslovakia would still have big gaps in WW2 vehicles that they’d need to fill with copy-pastes. Now I’m seeing why Hungary was holding this idea together, because without them, this tree would have little to nothing interesting from rank 2-4. Maybe Romania could fill out this gap for the Poland + Czechoslovakia tree, although they didn’t have much for WW2 indigenous vehicles, but it’s better than nothing.

1 Like

Well yeah, I liked the V4 idea as well, but I get the impression that mixed alliance tech trees are not a War Thunder thing, so Hungary going to Italy seemed the most likely, until they confirmed it. At this point, I’m not too bothered if Hungary comes to Italy or gets taken out last second and given to a V4 tree instead, so long as we finally get those Hungarian tanks I’m happy. Poland + Czechoslovakia can still work, especially with a subtree.

3 Likes