The Seek & Destroy wallpaper uses the explosion of the Space Shuttle Challenger

I was browsing Reddit and came across these two threads. It seems that the wallpaper for the Seek & Destroy update uses the explosion of the Space Shuttle Challenger, in which seven American astronauts tragically lost their lives.

Maybe it was an accident on the part of the artist, but it seems in incredibly poor taste.

https://new.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/1dm7e77/what_did_gaijin_mean_by_this/

https://new.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/1dm9oao/challenger_disaster_and_seek_destroy_wallpaper/

@Smin1080p @Stona_WT is Gaijin aware of this?

17 Likes

It is quite literally 1:1 almost identical to the Challenger explosion, you can even see that it has an outline unlike other parts of the wallpaper.

Certain parts of it are COMPLETELY identical and you can literally match individual curves in the explosion cloud. The only thing that seems to have been changed was the addition of more debris and the extension of the smoke above the main cloud.

14 Likes

The unique black outline around this either means that it was poorly cropped from somewhere…

Or more likely that the artist wanted to highlight this particular part of the wallpaper for some reason. Considering it looks to be otherwise high quality and well defined, I’d argue that the outline isn’t a result of “poor cropping” and most certainly intentional. Why that would be I don’t know, gotta ask the artist.

2 Likes

I wonder what the forum administration will say about it, and it won’t say anything anyway.

1 Like

What a peculiar detail… It seems too farfetched to believe that this was purely coincidental, Maybe it’s a jab at Americans…?

2 Likes

When you also consider that the new map has a spaceport and this had to be in the US frame of the wallpaper…

I hope for Gaijin’s sake that this was just a very coincidental, rapid and unfortunate chain of misfortunates.

2 Likes

Cool Guy Voice: “Never existed.”

2 Likes

Why is it in poor taste? This game is literally a simulation of war, but this offends you???

2 Likes

Yes… the game is a simulation. The destruction of the Challenger was not. It was a tragedy that had nothing to do with war.

2 Likes

Staff have already acknowledged the mistake, can find Statement here::- Noticed a little something - #26

8 Likes