The R-77 'ADDER' - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

SL. std day.
The fins are still removed. There are inaccuracies in the geometry, they will be added later. I also want to estimate the increase in resistance from the fins

2 Likes

Given the image itself this could be a mention of manual lofting as the MIG-29 in the picture is quite nose up while firing.

So what does everyone think about this missile right now? I couldn’t get a lot of satisfactory results due to only having access to the 29smt as a launch platform. Seems better than the amraam within 10km, generally pulls off the rail. But at longer ranges it feels weird similarly to the phoenix

R-77/PL-12 seeker needs more detailed modeling // Gaijin.net // Issues

Summary of the report is this:

Current performance of the R-77/PL-12 seeker is

HPRF mode - 16km at 2m^2

Proposed changes ---->:

HPRF mode - 36km at 2m^2
MPRF mode - 12km at 2m^2

So the HPRF radar mode range will increase, and there will be an inclusion of MPRF mode.

6 Likes

image-2
Why it became 36 degrees from 40 is not clear

Reduced energy loss when turning, lower AoA hit the affect of the fins is greater… this is a buff

In a real missile 40 AoA

Well then, idk, guess you could report it

autopilot seems weird to me tbh, very often itll just not lead enough and end up behind the target trying to chase it on top of the fact they wobble a lot

I can not

this missile is horrible loses all of it energy in a instant now way this accurate

1 Like

Gaijin does not know how to model lattice handlebars and TVC

5 Likes

I have a genuine question here. If grid fins are so beneficial, then why does no other air to air missile besides the Adder use it, and only for so long before they were abandoned on new versions of it? I mean, if it were truly so good, then why did the Russians abandon it on newer models?

1 Like

They haven’t abandoned it, but there are a number of reasons for and against its’ use.

Grid fins allow high angles of attack, great precision, and lower torque from the control actuators.

They also have wave drag issues in transonic regions, and have a very large relative RCS.

These are not super beneficial in modern day because radar based MAWS allows users sufficient warning to successfully evade or decoy such ordnance. Interestingly, if the grid fins can be made to fold it makes for better storage space, however most modern missile designs are wingless.

No one refused. The exception is the Su-57, because the grid fins give a high RCS

I’ve always been surprised the grid fins of the R-77 and R-77-1 don’t fold on the aircraft, that seems like it would be a nice feature to have.

They add up

Spoiler

2 Likes

where are the grid fins?

Is that thing ahead of the wings the umbilical port?

Didn’t think something that small could be that draggy