The best WW2 tank ever made by a minor nation: Hungary's 44M Tas

A photo would be huge news. Where did you saw that?

2 Likes

How did you did it?

I’m going to vote yes, hopefully for whatever version was the most realistically addable. But the BEST minor nation tank? On paper the 80mm version could certainly be considered in that conversation. But for tanks actually made, the A.C.IV makes it an argument :p lol

5 Likes

While propably not THE best minor nation tank made, as Australian A.C.IV and Bob Semple tank exist, It was propably best minor axis nation tank and one I would certainly like to see in Hungary sub-tree especially after they intreduced Tigris as premium, this would give Italy nice competetive and NON-PREMIUM heavy tank that they needed for years. Certainly +1 from me

PS if Gaijooble for some reason makes this premium or event vehicle, then frick them

3 Likes

Since there are two cannon versions, there is a chance that one of the tanks will become premium.

3 Likes

Ok, that makes sense, but we should still pray to holy snail that at least one of the is TT tank, whith Gaijooble, nobody can be sure what they will come up with, as British main and Italian secundary, I can unfortunatelly asure you of that.

1 Like

Given the status of completion on this, it’s unlikely to ever be in tech tree. But you never know.

The A.C.IV from Australia is certainly a challenger for the best minor nation WW2 tank.

But does it invalidate my title? I believe not; firstly the question is whether we count Australia as a minor nation or not. I can see why some would say it is a minor nation, but I would say it was more of a medium-level power on the level of Italy or China or Poland or France. It isn’t as clear-cut of a minor nation as Hungary. So if we don’t count Australia as a minor nation, then my title is still correct.

If we do count Australia as a minor nation, then the new question becomes is the A.C.IV better than the 44M Tas?

In terms of armour, the 44M Tas is superior. Thicker armour (20/50/75/100/120 mm plates on the Tas, 22.2/25.4/35/44.5/50.8/63.5 mm plates on the A.C.IV), both have quite sloped armour, both welded/cast.

In terms of mobility, they are both pretty similar. They have roughly the same top speed, the A.C.IV has a bit better hp/ton ratio, but the 44M Tas has 4-5 times the reverse speed of the A.C.IV, which makes it more mobile for combat maneuvers.

In terms of firepower, the A.C.IV is better than the 75 mm gun of the Tas, since it has a much higher penetration 76 mm British 17-pounder gun. As for the 80 mm gun of the Tas, I don’t really know. If it has around 156 mm of penetration, then the A.C.IV’s gun is still better, but if it has around 171 mm of penetration, then the Tas’ 80 mm gun might be equal or even a bit better than the A.C.IV’s.

Overall, I would say the 44M Tas is better as a heavy tank and the A.C.IV is better as a tank destroyer. I still prefer the 44M Tas because IMO strong armour with decent gun and mobility is better than strong gun with decent mobility and alright armour.

And that’s if we even count the A.C.IV as a minor nation’s tank.

1 Like

Best minor axis tank? Undoubtedly. There is no contender.
Best minor nation tank? I still think so, but you could argue for the A.C.IV (if you think Australia is a minor nation), refer to my comparison of the 44M Tas vs A.C.IV.
Bob Semple? Oh no. I hadn’t accounted for the might of the Bob Semple! :D

Yeah I couldn’t agree more, I share your view, it needs to be added to the subtree, especially now with the Tigris being a premium (I hoped the Tigris would be researchable, but ofc not).

@Dzsigolo_Lanty are you going to find this image? It would be huge news. Are you certain that you saw an actual image of the real burnt-out 44M Tas?

While the comparison is legitimate my statement was more tongue in cheek lol. The post pen damage of the 80mm would be really good with the before mentioned TNT explosive filler.

4 Likes

I really hope he doesn’t refer to this abomination of picture, which can be found under WOT’s upcoming tanks page, as 43M Tas prototípus. I don’t know if it is photoshopped or what, but it’s quite clerly a Panzer 3 and not a Tas.

Spoiler

[img]http://[/img]

2 Likes

Its a horrible bad photoshop of an Pz III hull.

1 Like

Yeah I also hope it isn’t that picture. I’ve seen that one too, it doesn’t even look like the Tas, the hull isn’t really even the right shape as it is missing the front mid plate. The suspension and running gear is clearly from a Panzer III, although it does kind of resemble the suspension layout of the Tas. Yeah hopefully that’s not the picture he’s referring to.

3 Likes

In that photo, it was a burned-out tank wreck that could hardly be seen, not this one.

4 Likes

I assume there was a lot of rubble and the remains of the bombed-out factory in the background, as it was in the hall of the factory when it got bombed.

That’s really good news! Did you saw it on the internet or in some museum?

1 Like

Idk why one needs to be particularly defensive about a title, but i do find this statement quite funny.

Australia is a “medium power” Even tho it has almost 7 million in population in comparison to just over 9 million in Hungary.

And somehow Australia is in the ballpark of nations that have 5-6 times its population like Poland and France.

I get that production wise Australia was probably ahead, but idk how id put them in the same category is France and Italy

As for the 44M. Im mostly sceptical of the basis for its addition, perhaps when vehicles of some degrees of completion become relatively accepted and common-ish as possible additions

2 Likes

What’s the problem with justifying my title? I think it makes sense to when questioned, no?

As for Australia being a minor/medium power, raw population numbers mean very little; China had a population of over 500 million, yet still struggled fighting the only 70 million Japanese, whom they outnumbered by over 7 times. Why? Because the Japanese were far better trained, equipped, industrialised, had better tactics, etc. So it isn’t that crazy to say Australia, a country heavily supported by the very advanced British and Americans, far from being attacked or bombed during the war, with a military they could build up and perfect over decades with help from the great powers, with a probably stronger economy, could be a stronger power than Hungary, a country that had just been annihilated by a ridiculous treaty 20 years prior, a country with a weaker economy at the time, a country being bombed throughout the war, a country with little support from its Axis allies, and a country which couldn’t really even legally have a military just 2 years before the war broke out.

So I don’t think those 2 million more citizens makes Hungary a stronger power than Australia, considering the plethora of other more important factors that gave Australia a big advantage. I talked about the ‘power’ of these countries during WW2; that’s why I mentioned France and Poland. Both of these countries may have theoretically been able to be stronger than Australia in WW2, but both were annihilated early on in the war, thus reducing their impact and power in WW2. Italy survived for much longer, but their military was known to be very incompetent and weak for their size, that’s why I compare the more competent Australian military to them. Again, population numbers are irrelevant here.

Anyway, as already discussed, plenty of vehicles with far weaker basis for addition have already been added into the game, and continue being added (e.g. whatever the F-16AJ is supposed to be), so I really don’t see how the 44M Tas is somehow the one that shouldn’t be added, despite what other random stuff has already been added. Also, there are only so many ‘perfect’ additions Gaijin can add, which is why we see them starting to run out, and everything they add now is either super modern, or an obscure prototype (like this one). Eventually, they may need to start adding nearly-complete vehicles like this. But at the end of the day, we’ll just have to see what Gaijin does.

1 Like

Sorry, forgot to reply to this.

I made the statcards using a tool that was once made, then abandoned and taken down, but the most recent version of it can still be accessed here: wt_statcard

3 Likes