The AIM-9 B FGW.2

What is this missile? is it a copy paste of the other on on this aircraft?

I think its a German variant of the Aim-9B, IRL it had advantages, in-game its identical to the Aim-9B

So what is the point of putting it on the plane if there is a identical one already?

No idea

Just checking the datamine spreadsheet There are some minor differences

FGW2 gains, slightly better lock range, maybe slightly better flare resistnace at the cost of slightly more mass.

So there is a minor difference for it

also less likely to lock the sun i believe

With how flare resistance works in-game, its probably the same line of code for both

I think it has radar slaving if I remember correctly

This game has flare resistance?

Yes. But what we dont have is proper heat signatures. So aircraft are waaaaay colder than they should be

1 Like

Irl better IR resistance against the sun, we had them on our F-35s in the 70s

Wow, that’s. interesting. not very useful though

Irl it’s nice to have for training with live missiles against decoys for pilots as it was a cheaper missile than using our 9N-2s

Weirdly enough the F-35 in game is missing both missiles it used irl including the FGW.2

So they’re useful for training.

Useful for training and as a cheap missile for basic targets like if a large plane jumped into your airspace like a potential bomber ect, though we normally carried the 9N-2s for any real threats

Were you in the airforce?

Noop, but I got to talk to a few pilots from a few of the old squadrons here. I’m also a turbo F-35 nerd and have a thread dedicated to them. I share a lot of stuff including images shared by the old squadron members.

Example



MV5BYTgzYTg5NTMtMjFmMy00MWIxLWEwYTQtN2UyMzY3NDIzOTRjL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQzNDI3NzY@.V1_SY1000_CR0,0,685,1000_AL