The AIM-54 Phoenix missile - Technology, History and Performance

try to lock on on the phoenix incoming on you, you will see its coming around 1200 m/s, the R-27er are coming about 1350 m/s, very far for mach 5.8

Even if the aim-54 could perform better, it is performing well enough for me. The radar glitching is bullshit and i’d be pissed if that does not get fixed.

see this video, you will see that the phoenix come to you at 1220m/s and the r-27er at 1340m/s

Not surprised. Way easier for a smaller missile to get near top speed, especially at those altitudes.

1 Like

what is the thrust of aim-54A/C engine that the forum report, did you know? could you tell?

Ingame thrust values or real life thrust values?

These are not really tactic, they are target doesn’t want to evade even at last minute despite RWR clearly tells them it is Phoenix coming at them, this further proves that Aim-54 is anything but AFK punisher.
I traded real blow against Su-27 with R-27ER at 30km range many times, doing f-pole to actually dodge R-27ER for real, I fired one Aim-54 head on, then during the maneuver, I added the second round. Su-27 did not do any sort of defensive manuever except pulling at last minute, both Aim-54 can’t keep up. Sometimes it doesn’t track at all like what happened at the beginning of your video, where target flying too high will simply be missed by the Aim-54.

3 Likes

Yes, I know it can reach mach 3 at ~10,000m, but the problem is it is supposed to reach mach 4 at those altitude.
Thrust of Aim54 is currently over performing, the problem is missile lacks base drag reduction from long burning motor. This causes Aim54 unable to reach mach 4 or higher as advertised.

1 Like

It’s supposed to loft and reach closer to mach 6 depending on launch velocity.

2 Likes

i will tell it not can evade because it cannot evade, to guide the r-27er it needs to fly towards Phoenix to a locked plane, the rwr most of the time is saturated that it cannot deal with multiple side things and most of the players dont give attention to the boring sound, it will fly for a long time towards that will be hard to evade if you try to evade the phoenix in last time when it comes towards you, it may hit you if you fire at an incoming distance in the correct burn time of the collision because the r-27er guy is more focused in attack instead defend itself, and it may hit, there is a correct moment to guide and abandon the missile, I would like to know the real acceleration of the Phoenix that you can put on space-time function of variation of speed:
S=(a*t^2)/2 of the missile and the plane, sum the 2 things you know the distance that you can fire the missile in time of the collision in the burn time, ok that equation is for toward line, but is an estimative.
I tried between 35-30km and the calculus for some reason got in some cases when the missile was incoming in the target that was accelerating towards
but i agree, the missile must be fixed until 90 fox 3

i agree with you some times does not track, once again the missile needs to be remodeled
what must need to change:
1.the TWS bouncing that change automatic the target (may the reason why does not track when you launch)
2.incorrect trust and burn time
3.smokeless engine for aim-54C
4.correct loft
5.correct overload g turn

pls. can you pass for me the real-life sources of smokeless engine for aim-54A/C
correct loft
correct overload g turn
and the correct burn time and thrust?

but in the video the r-27er are incoming at 1350 m/s and aim-54a at 1230m/s in the comparation?, strange

Just want to vote in the forum XD

You don’t need to fly towards phoenix, you can put target on the edge of your radar gimbal and it will still work. Also, we haven’t begun discussing data link yet. Example of stealth kill + no need to fly towards phoenix. Although this isn’t fighting against phoenix, but it is similar idea.

It was already posted in this thread, long time ago. Including speed over time profile.

in any way you can see the missile incoming on tws of f14, if you fly in other direction very fast, you can escape from r-27er.
it takes a lot of time to relock and evade from phoenix at same time.
but the rear aspect shot of r-27er is impressive in certain way

real pls

i could record some aim-54 track bugs

1 Like

There’s so many bugs with this plane.

A gigantic one is the fact that your radar resets - and so you lose all targets that you were tracking including any aim54 launched - when you use the free look key and releases it. How is that not fixed yet?!!

This doesnt happen once in a while, it is always reproducible.

1 Like

Almost like the F-14B sensor package and weapons are not finished… and I doubt they ever will be at this point.

3 Likes