The AIM-120 'AMRAAM' - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

AIM-120C is said to have high-angle off-boresight capability and the latest versions have “improved” that capability.

Which C version are you referring to: C3, C4, C5, C6, or C7? And I imagine that by HOBS, you mean a better gimbal angle. Does HOBS have a specific minimum gimbal angle?

No, the gimbal angle is fine +/- 55 degrees or so as far as I’m aware… the AIM-120 is a very relaxed stability design… on launch the motor propellant weight brings the center of gravity towards the rear leaving it a little unstable and able to make tighter turn radius than earlier models such as AIM-120A/B thanks to a lighter electronics section.

I believe the AIM-120C-5 was the first to have true “high-angle” off-boresight capability, the shortened control actuator section allowed for a longer motor and more propellant. They switched to an all-boost instead of boost-sustain design that allowed the missile to make the rapid turn around and then chase targets after firing in head-on type scenarios.

This seems to be the same source as the AIM-7F(M) chart.

AIM7FM ranges

2 Likes

They were grossly mistaken in the AIM-7F / AIM-120’s range. I estimate 70-75km for AIM-120A in the same conditions the AIM-7F would reach 98km.

In AIM-7F Standard Missile Characteristics - January 1977 it mentions that the 7F could reach 53nm if both carrier and target are flying at 2.0 Mach at 40,000ft head-on. But it would be vastly limited by the seeker performance.

-edit-
Yes, the 98km range figure seems to be from 2 mach as you stated.

Ah, I just thought 53nm x 1.8523 almost equal to 98km, which is where the in-game stat card got its info from.

I see, yes I forgot the SMC was using 2 mach as launch parameters for that data. That’s interesting, I’ll revise my statement. This is what happens when one “assumes” something at 4am without checking.

As for the HPRF or MPRF debate, I’m about to quote the BMS manual in order to avoid using the actual am-34-1-1 or cj-34-1-1 or MLU M1/2/3 pilot’s guide about A pole and M pole and F pole:

BMS Dash-34 (falcon-bms.com)

A pole vs M pole vs F pole

What is the aerodynamic range of AIM-120A/B in BMS or DCS for the same scenario as the AIM-7F’s 98km?
(Also, the HPRF vs MPRF was not a serious debate, rather just a group of trolls and I’d rather not re-ignite that flame if necessary). I’m confident the developers know what they’re doing with that.

What Rmax and missile time of flight do you get for the aim120B when the interceptor is at 11k ft, 0.94Mach 520kts airspeed. Target is Hot going 364kts airspeed, you have 1020 kts 525m/s Vc. Target is ~370m(1200 ft) below interceptor, (~1.2° below). Radar range, 9.5-9.4 Nautical miles(17.6-17.4km) launching range. No manual loft.

Haven’t tested myself. It’s hard to make AI fly a straight line without any dodging maneuvers like a target drone, and DLZ readings will not always concur with the actual range in-game.

I couldn’t find the original video.
f16 amraam DLZ

Redeye flight( F16 Ang training)

That sounds kinda complex to judge based on the in-game custom missile file I’ve created. If you can simplify that a bit I can make a mission later.

Fire an aim120b flying at mach 0.94, 11k ft at a target flying towards you at 10kft 364 kts IAS. Vc should be ~1020 kts with this geometry. Ezzy and fire at 17.5km

Is this a scenario on video irl? What was the time to target and such?

17s

I’m not sure where the scenario is from, but my in-game custom missile has similar performance.