The AIM-120 'AMRAAM' - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

Ok let’s knock both these claims on the head for good. Here is the AIM-9L launch requirements from the Tornado GR.1 Tactics manual:

You can see that the maximum g you can fire the AIM-9L at is the limit of the aircraft. And the maximum speed you can fire the AIM-9L at is the limit of the aircraft.

So what are the aircraft limits for the Tornado GR.1? According to the release to service the top speed is 800 kts (that’s over Mach 1.2) at sea level / Mach 1.6 at altitude. And the maximum allowable g is 7.8.

Spoiler

So there you have it the AIM-9 can be fired at over Mach 1.2 at sea level, and at at least 7.8 g. Though both of those things have been demonstrated already.

2 Likes

So we agreed that are restrictions.
This 7.8g are subsonic. I’m pretty sure Tornado is not able do 7.8g at supersonic.

The restrictions are on the Tornado airframe, not the missile. It has already been shown from the F-4J manual that the missile itself has no restrictions and any restrictions in manuals are airframe specific ones.

Tornado F.3 can;

Spoiler

Graph is up to 1 Mach…

oh this is hurtful ,
sir , if there is a problem there are boundaries ,one after each other , if a missile has unrestricted launch G limit and speed , the boundary which stops it from being launched from higher speeds is the fact that aircraft don’t go faster or pull more Gs .
I don’t get WHY ARE YOU ARGUING ABOUT THIS .
the earth is round , the sky is blue and aircraft don’t exceed beyond their limit

If you don’t understand what is the point capitan obvious better for you to not comment.

would you like a Persian Poem ?

Spoiler

نرود میخ آهنین در سنگ

Why dont we have AMRAAM launch Diagrams?

Classified until at least 2036 pending further extensions.

even for Aim-120A model?

That is the issue, they are all lumped into the same category. Since AIM-120A shares practically nothing but dimensions with the AIM-120D imo should be classified separately but… any time a new AIM-120 iteration was produced the classification was extended.

Now that AIM-260 aims (pun intended) to replace the AMRAAM… it may stop being extended. I’ve put in FOIA specifically in request of AIM-120A SMC sheets which should contain the relevant information but they’re usually denied outright.

damn that sucks. Are you a US citizen by any chance? Arent we (US citizens) allowed to have this information cuz of the FOIA?

Information that is classified is exempt from FOIA in 99% of cases without some higher authority forcing the classifying authority to declassify it.

What was the magazine article from? I cannot see attachment thanks.

Does it talk about Mach+ launches or just maneuvering?

It says (among other things):

The Magic’s firing envelope is the same as the flight envelope for the carrier aircraft

1 Like

That is way too vague and should not be considered as it’s just a magazine article.

Cpt Bel should have extensive research on the Magic I am going to message him.

It is a magazine article, but that sentence is supposedly a direct quote from a Matra official.

Yeah, but Matra is a business and executive “officials” will say whatever they can to make sales. Especially in a magazine interview.

It’s like taking James Taiclet of Lockheed Martin’s word for anything on Aim-120 technical capability/limitations though he has never done anything outside of business other than fly a C-130 in the gulf war.

How is AIM-120 in terms of high high off boresight shots?