The AIM-120 'AMRAAM' - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

I refer you back to this image from the same report that the range figures come from:

10 Likes

Mmm, it’s just wierd they mention the fins changing to ST standard but not the motor.

Under what conditions does the “ASF” (SuperTEMP?) reach 40nm? I can replicate the test and use my AMRAAM custom missile file and see if it matches the 60nm range datapoint.

“Developed from”

a SuperTEMP is only different from a TEMP in Fins and Motor. The ASF project will have spanned the development of TEMP and SuperTEMP. It cannot have hit the 40nm ranges if it only had the TEMP motor.

1 Like

Under any conditions? In theory they’re discussing the absolute maximum launch range

I mean I’ve never come across a AIM-7E2/Skyflash in the best conditions that would hit out to 40nm.

Largely is a not worth arguing over, the text says developed from a SuperTEMP and only replacing the seeker.

I don’t think you understand me… is it possible for the SuperTEMP to reach 40nm launch range? If so, in what conditions?

I’d like for you guys to reference this dev blog. In here, it shows that the R-27R which is similar to SuperTEMP in ranges, managed 40nm (72km) at 10km altitude with both launch aircraft and target aircraft being at Mach 2

Devblog: Comparison of the dynamics of the R-24, R-27 and AIM-7 missiles - Aircraft Discussion - War Thunder - Official Forum

it is likely then that the 40nm and 60nm are in the conditions of 10km altitude and both aircrafts being Mach 2.

1 Like

A SuperTEMP can’t because the seeker only has a range of 37km~ (20nm).

Fair enough.

I’m discussing kinematics since they seem to be considering a more advanced seeker with potentially datalink or inertial guidance.

1 Like

If there was no battery limit and no seeker limit then as @DirectSupport suggested its likely similar to R-27R. I don’t have firing data for a 40nm shot because seeker limits and battery limits would prevent that from being tested.

Well, I can test this pretty easily. Standby.

I do have these charts for comparison to AIM-7F but they stop at 26nm
Conditions;

Results;

Any TOF over 40-50 seconds is pure luck and the battery was only guaranteed out to 50.

There is mention of a 60 second TOF but lacking the trial data all I have is this;

1 Like

Battery life is unknown, they state it could do 40nm in their projections… so I will give it ample battery life and assume a kinematic limitation. If they have the same motor as Skyflash SuperTEMP and weight is similar, the test conditions where it kinematically reaches a maximum range of 40nm will be my test point… experimenting now with a custom missile file and Skyflash SuperTEMP stats to give it an active seeker and excessive guidance time…

2 Likes

@Gunjob During testing, in approximately 50s the Skyflash SuperTEMP hit a target at ~40nm… this was from 1.95 mach launch against 1.95 mach target aircraft.

It seems they are considering the battery life of the SuperTEMP missile, and removing the seeker limitations for direct comparison. In reality, the missile was already mostly out of energy as well so additional battery life would not have yielded much of an enhancement in performance.

3 Likes

Nice, thanks for testing.

1 Like

In the same conditions, my AIM-120B model hit the target at 40nm in 45 seconds… for some reason I am having trouble getting the AIM-120 to fly for longer than ~50s as it keeps exploding when trying to launch it at the 60nm target.

I guess gajin might consider AIM-120A, AIM-120B, Rb.99 & AIM-120C-3 to new major update in december this year or Q1 2024

Any thoughts on this ?

1 Like

More than likely December