Terrain Following Radar

“If I remember/recall correctly”

1 Like

oh

You mean OIC (oh, I see)… = )

1 Like

This is not modeled in game at the moment, some planes can display an altitude via their radar but their autopilot (SAS) does not allow this altitude to be maintained (the automatic altitude hold mode of the SAS maintains more or less barometric altitude)

This is the principle of operation of the terrain following radar, once it is activated it takes control of the aircraft and makes it maintain a fixed altitude and speed (Some of the aircraft suggested above also have modes that allow you to choose an optimized trajectory and offer secondary trajectories. However, the mode I am proposing would only allow altitude and speed to be maintained. The course would be the responsibility of the pilot or would be blocked).
The usefulness in the game is not obvious in itself but would allow a great improvement in the playability of attack planes and interdictors in simulator mode.

So you want the game to play itself.

Or he wants those systems to behave like their real life counterparts.

Like me.

3 Likes

To say that activating the mode would be to have the game play by itself is to say that having the machine gunners activated on the bombers is not fair because it is the game that plays by itself

This is one of the features of these planes, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be added, it doesn’t give an advantage over the others and brings a new original mechanic to the game

Actually terrain following radar only allows for automatic altitude control, not steering, you would still have to turn the aircraft yourself

I just don’t see the value other then me starting up game pressing a button then going to make a pot of coffee.

It depends on the planes, the Mirage 2000 can be in a form of autopilot which allows it to reach a point by optimizing its trajectory to stay as low as possible. However I think that a game’s direction should remain in the control of the player

no that’s just the autopilot using info from the terrain following radar

If you start the game and immediately press the button you will just hit the first hill in front of you, the TFR has its limits when you aren’t fast enough.

If you don’t see the point of this type of mode, I suggest you to propose removing altitude hold which is available for many planes in the game

Alt hold? I’ve never seen that on anything aside from helicopters

Ok, I thought I understood that this ability came from the TFR and not from the autopilot, however I hadn’t inquired further than that

The SAS has an altitude hold mode (this is not the exact term but I don’t know how it is called in English)

…which as far as I experienced doesn’t work at all.

It depends a lot on the plane, on American or Russian planes I haven’t seen a single one functional but with the English and French it seems to me that it works on certain planes

So i am to propose them to remove something that isn’t there or functional?

It’s present and it works more or less well but it seems to go against what you think the game should be, so it’s up to you to fight it.