Target lock through islands, one of Naval's biggest issues

This has been a problem essentially as long as Naval has existed, and really deserves a topic. Below is a series of screenshots over a ~30 second period, featuring me locking and trading fire with an enemy over eight kilometres away through multiple islands.

This is already bad enough, but one frame after the first shot here I lost my target lock… but they didn’t, and landed several more salvos on me, including as seen in the second/third shots, over that even taller island.

In the last one here we can see me give up on returning fire (because I literally cannot) and… locking yet another enemy through multiple islands, now at nearly ten kilometres…

For some very odd contrast, AI ships (not named bots, which function as players, but the actual AI convoy ones) have essentially the exact opposite issue; you will lose lock on them with any amount of land in between.

We really need a proper middle ground here.

6 Likes

This is why I loved the old aiming UI as even if you losted the grey box lock you could set a mark to fire at even without a grey box & hit targets accurately.

Now fast forward to these days & trying that is impossible as it just keeps resetting (not sure if this happens on PC but it’s hella annoying on PS).

I often see this were I cannot return fire as the grey box refuses to be targeted on enemies behind landmass yet they can pin point me constantly (especially more bloody annoying when it’s player made bots which makes me want to commit self harm).

Also yes the AI Goldenfels, T22, Emden & Admiral Hipper convoys behind landmass is also annoying that you cannot target them unless they’re in view but ohh boi their defensive weapons will fire upon you.

The inability to lock them is noticeable on the now remade & absolutely horrible South Kvarken map, that remake was just simply the worse since one side cannot target the convoy due to landmass while the other fucking side gets to sink 90% of them since there’s no landmass protecting them from being locked & fired on.

2 Likes

Oh neat, thanks for the ID! I always wondered about that, but cargo ship types aren’t something I know well.

Oh my god.

We actually 100% agree on something for once!

Worse: you sometimes lose lock just by exiting the aiming view… idk why

I also like how the convoys on some maps move… until they crash into some mountain