T-44 Mantlet eating shells it really shouldn't

So I’ve been playing a ton of the T32 and T29 from the US tree. They’re great tanks in my opinion, and I’ve been enjoying them. However, something really annoying has been happening to me that I just can’t explain.

So for the T32:
The cannon is a 90mm T15E2 cannon and the T41 APHE round has 209mm of Penetration at 500m. In the protection analysis, it says my round should go clean through the cheeks of the T-44, yet in game every time I fire on either cheek, it does absolutely nothing. The round just nonpens every time even though, according to the protection analysis, I should be obliterating the T-44.

For the T29:
The cannon is a 105mm T5E2 cannon and the T13 APHE round has 235mm of Penetration at 500m. n the protection analysis, it says my round should go clean through the cheeks of the T-44, yet in game every time I fire on either cheek, it does absolutely nothing. It is interesting to note that this happens less so with this cannon than the T15E2, although according to Gaijin BOTH OF THESE CANNONS SHOULD BE PENETRATING THE T-44 Mantlet AND cheeks.

I can’t tell if I’m being screwed by volumetric, or just skill issue, but it seems like a bug because it happens too often to always be volumetric or some other factor.

2 Likes

I would say “Aim better.” or “It’s a volumetric issue.” and I’ll stick with the second option.

Using a 85mm Zis-3 cannon or what ever it uses, the same on the T-34-85 on 6.7 is not a good experience.

I may be wrong and I hope I’m but the vehicle got a slightly buff in the turret. I don’t know if it was documented or was another shadow-buff.

Same applies to the T-44-100.

2 Likes

Volumetic hell, shoot their cupola

1 Like

That 👆

1 Like

Welcome to realistically sized shells impacting realistically modeled armor.

It’s volumetric.

1 Like

Yeak the T-44 mantlet is just volumetric bullshit. T-34s, IS-2s also like to eat your shots as well.

I’ve penetrated them reliably with the Ho-Ri Production’s 105mm gun, that has less pen than the T29’s, so my advice is to shoot closer to the gun so you avoid clipping the turret side armor.

Volumetric hell. Aim as close to the gun as possible. And even then it sometimes doesn’t work.

1 Like