Sukhoi Su-35S Flanker-M: The Last Flanker

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Sukhoi Su-35S Flanker-M: The Last Flanker

grafik

Hi and welcome to by 3rd suggestion, which is about the Su-35S Flanker-M, the last machine of its Series :popcorn:

After I already suggested other 4 / 4+ / 4++ gen Flankers, its time for the final 4th gen multi-role fighter by Sukhoi. I dont see it coming within the next 2 years, thats for shure, but try to stop me XD

First of all:

• This is a suggestion for an Aircraft we could see in game at some point in the Future , that doesn´t mean next Patch or somewhere in the near Future
  • I don´t want to force Gaijin to rush Top-tier aviation in any way
  • Feel free to share more Data and / or correct me if something is wrong
  • Discuss respectfully, any aggressive kind or verbal abuse will be reported, the Forum rules also apply here
  • FOX-3 on all aircraft in game (when added) could be balanced by limit them to a max. of 2 - 4x missiles and making them not such strong as in RL or DCS (my opinion)

Basic Background:

Su-35 Flanker-E and Su-37 “Terminator”

Versions of the Su-27, such as the Su-27M (T-10M) modernized fighters designed and produced on order from the Russian Air Force in the 1980s, had been demonstrated at international air shows under the name Su-35 since 1992. These were equiped with the Bars-R PESA Radar, made for the Su-30MKI and later domestic Su-30SM, Canards as the Su-33 has, and the newer Saturn AL-31FM1 turbofan engines, with increased thrust. Mainly only prototypes of the Su-27M were built in series - only three serial Su-35 were actually built and put into service, these had the Serial-numbers Red 86, 87 and 88 - almost all the prototypes had different cockpit configurations, as well as slightly different tail fins. The Su-27M have following Serial-numbers: 701, 702, 703, 704, 705, 706, 707, 708, 709, 710, 712 - White 711 received 2D thrust vectoring Saturn AL-31FU and has been renamed to Su-37, which cashed 2002 after an engine failure - ´710´ served as the testbed for the Saturn AL-41F-1S. The three serial produced Su-35s as well as the Su-27M ´703´ and ´712´ were awarded to Russian Knights aerobatic team and painted in their colorsare. All other were scrapped or serve as exhibits today. The T-10M project extinguished in 1996.

Su-35BM and Su-35S Flanker-M

At the turn of the century, a review of the national Air Force’s needs for the foreseeable future, as well as global aircraft market forecasts, identified the requirement for a more radical modernization of the Su-27, building on the foundation that had previously been laid. To make the airplane competitive compared to existing and future foreign fighters, it was required not only to significantly improve airborne equipment and weapons, but also to alter the airframe structure and power generation. As a result, the general concept of a new multi-purpose fighter – a thoroughly-modernized version of the Su-27 airplane – was generated by the middle of the first decade of the new century, retaining the name Su-35. Work on this project at Sukhoi Design Bureau was led by I. Demin.

The Su-35S is a “4++” generation airplane that uses fifth-generation fighter technology. In 2009 - 2015, this technology created an advantage for the Su-35S over the other fourth-generation multi-purpose fighters offered on the global market. The new Russian fighter was designed so that it could fly and fight in conditions where “classic” (4+ generation) fighters were unable to engage in combat. It was envisioned that this “major modernization” would fill the gap between the Su-27 airplanes built or modified with “minor modernizations” until the production launch of fifth-generation airplanes, expected to enter the market within a decade. The first Su-35BMs were Su-35-0, 901, 902 and 904, while Nr. 902 was part of the Chinese program, Nr. 35-0 was partially dismantled; is now an exhibit and Nr. 904 crashed, the remaining BMs are still in service, but mainly for demonstrating and future tests. The Su-35S are now in mass production.

Overall:

The Su-35S is a multi-role fighter of the 4++ generation and a massive upgrade within the Su-27 family. In practical terms, everything has been revised. The cockpit, the airframe, the engines, avionics and more. Although it is a 4th gen airframe, it already uses 5th gen technology, such as the new N035 Irbis-E X-band radar and the Type 4283 AESA IFF system mounted in the wings. A newer RWR, the L150-35, as well as the laser warning system which is also installed in the Su-30SM. Whoever thinks that everything was wrong, the Su-35S has a reduced radar signature due to the use of RAM material. The CAS capacity was also increased and the number of R-77 missiles increased from 8 (Su-27SM3) to 12.
In the heavily modernized cockpit there are now two extra-large MFD-35 LCD 230 x 305 mm screens, two smaller displays, as well as the wide-angle HUD IKSh-1M, with a 20 x 30 degree fell of view. The new IRST, OLS-35, goes one better than the older OLS-27M / OLS-30, for example the laser range finder range has been increased from 10 to 20 km, it also received a TV-camera and be used for detecting any kind of targets (air, ground, vessel).

As if that wasn’t all, the new AL-41F-1S engines are added. Also known as the AL-31F izdl. 117S, these offer 16% more thrust than the standard AL-31F of the Flanker family. In addition, there is the 3D thrust vectoring, which we can also find in the Flanker-H (Su-30SM(2) / MKI / MKA / MKM / SME), this entices and higher AOA capabilities and allows us to do some clear maneuvers in aerobatics. According to Sukhoi, the new engines should also make the machine super-cruise capable, which means that we can achieve Mach 1 without an afterburner.

But the Su-35S has one weakness, the new avionics, engines, etc. take up a lot of space. So where should you make space? Since BVR was meant to avoid the "merge"and the new engines required changes to the airframe, the old decoy dispensers, APP-50, have been replaced by six new OV-50s, but these have “only” 14 cigars per module, which leads to 84 decoys in total. Not good prerequisites for dogfights, but at least they are 50mm decoys, through which we at least have to launch less to prevent a missile hit. Four of the six dispensers are located at the top between the two engines, as usual, but the other two are located on the tail, near the rear one of the L-150-35 RWR modules - I don´t why, but on some machines these were mounted on top of the tail, but on other machines on the bottom of the tail.

In the game I was equating the Su-35S with, for example, late F-15C, F-15E, F/A-18C / E, Eurofighter, Gripen E and Dassault Rafale, but it is also able to measure the F-35, but for the F-22 I see the Su-57 as much more comparable which will I suggest when the time is right in my eyes.

grafik

Export:

The Su-35S has not been succesfully exported. Only China, Russia and Iran are known operators of the Su-35S Flanker-M. Which can also be due to the high production costs of the machine. For most nations, a mid-life upgrade of the existing Flankers is more likely to be an option.

Armament of Su-35S:

Unlike other Flankers, the Su-35S has full access to the maximum possible loadout options, for any combat situation.

Spoiler
Guns: 1x GSh-30-1 (30 x 165mm, 150 rounds)
    1500 – 1800 rpm
    muzzle velocity of 870 m/s (1800m range)
AAM, up to (12 Pylons):
    8x R-27ER
    8x R-27EA
    4x R-27ET
    4x R-27EP
    6x R-73 RMD-1 / M
    6x R-74M
    12x R-77 / -1
    4x R-37M
    3x KS-172
Bombs / guided Bombs, up to:
    8x KAB-250
    8x KAB 500Kr / -S
    3x KAB-1500Kr / -L / -S
    10x FAB-500
    32x OFAB-250-270
    8x UPAB-500
    3x UPAB-1500
Air-to-Ground Missiles, up to:
    6x Kh-29T / TE / L
    6x Kh-31AD (upgraded Anti-Ship missile)
    6x Kh-31PD (upgraded Anti-Radiation missile)
    5x Kh-59ME / MK (requires APK-9 Datalink pod)
    6x S-25L (2x twin pod, 2x single)
    5 x Kh-58UShKE
    5 x Kh-38ME
Unguided Rockets (in total), up to:
    120x S-8 (6 pods)
    30x S-13 (6 pods)
    6x S-25 (2x twin pod, 2x single)
Other:
    T220 Targeting pod
    APK-9 Datalink pod

Radar:

As already mentioned, the Su-35S is equipped with the N035. But first of all; the “N012 rear-facing Radar” is a myth, there is nothing about it and nothing behind it, it simply doesn´t exist.

The N035 Irbis-E - “Snow Leopard” - Airborne Radar is used at all stages of combat application while interacting with on-board equipment complex, as well as with complexes of on-board equipment within a group of aircraft under close and long-range air combat modes, during group and single operations day-and-night, under simple and heavy weather, over its own and the enemy territory in the presence of natural noise and jamming. The N035, like the Bars-R on which it is based on, is able to detect stealth jets and lock on at a distance of up to 80 km, but this only works when a smaller scan area is used and has improved all its capabilities such as increasing ECCM, Range and the maximum of tracked targets at once.

Specifications and Internal:

Spoiler

General characteristics

Crew: 1
Length: 21.93 m
Wingspan: 14.70 m
Height: 5.9 m
Wing area: 62.4 m2
Empty weight: 16,870 kg
Loaded weight: 25,300 kg
Max. takeoff weight: 34,500 kg
Fuel capacity: 11.500 kg (internally)
Powerplant; AL-41F-1S
    (static) dry thrust: 86,3kN
    (static) afterburner thrust: 137kN
    (static) full afterburner thurst: 142,2kN

Performance

Maximum speed, Mach 2.25:
    1450km/h at sea level
    2284km/h at altitude
Operation celling: 18.500 m
Service ceiling: 17.750 m
Rate of climb: >280 m/s
Wing loading:
    min. 408 kg/m2
    max. 500.8 kg/m2
Thrust/weight (with afterburner):
    max.: 1.53
    mid.:  1.15 (50% fuel)
    min.:  0.92
Maximum g-load: +9g / -3g

Countermessures:
    6x OV-50 decoy dispenders, 14 x 50mm decoys of claiber 50mm each
    2x L175M Khibiny-M ECM jammer pods (mounted on wing tips, wing tip pylons for R-73 cant be used while having the ECM pods)
    2x L265M10-02 Khibiny-M ECM jammer pods (mounted on wing tips, wing tip pylons for R-73 cant be used while having the ECM pods)

Other:
    OLS-35
        120° FOV
        Instand FOV: 10 x 7.5°
        Azimuth: +/- 90°
        Elevation: 60° / -15°
        Big search field: 60° x 10°
        Small search field: 20° x 5°
        Close combat mode: 3° x 3° (vertical)
        Detection Range: min. 90 km rear-aspect and min. 35 km all-aspect
    Laser Range measurement:
        Airborne targets:  < 20km
        Ground targets:   < 30km
    L-150-35 RWR 
    Helmet mounted sight for R-73
    T220 Targeting Pod
    IKSh-1M HUD

UAR sensors;
    continuous spherical review of the environment;
    detection of objects representing a threat, determination of their angular coordinates;
    formation of signs of threat.
OLO sensors
    continuous spherical review of the environment;
    automatic detection of laser radiation sources (OR);
    formation of signs of threat.

AL-41F-1S Engines and 3D Thrust-Vectoring:

The AL-41F-1S feature thrust vectoring control in pitch only with deflection angles up to ±15°. Production standard engines centrainly feature thrust vector controll in pitch and yaw. The axisymmetric thrust rotary nozzles have a diiferntial defelction of up to ±15°; the axis of the rotation of each nozzle being arranged at an angle of 32° respective to each other, facilitating the employment of thrust vectorcontrol in both pitch and yaw axis. JSC Corporation Irkut states: “Depending on the upcomming manouevre, the nozzles may vary in synchronism with horizontal tail assambly or sepreatly from it.”

The nozzle angling can apparently generate what is termed a “side force” when differantial defelction is selected, futher increasing low speed manoeuvrebility.

Thanks for your time, hope you liked it :salute:

I know its a beautiful looking machine, here is a whole gallery: click me

[Will add more if there are some (more) important / declassified things]

[PM or comment if a Link or Picture isn´t working]

Sources:

Spoiler

Sukhoi/KnAAPO Su-35BM/Su-35-1/Su-35S Flanker

https://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/su-35/

Suchoi Su-35S: Neue „Flanker“ für Russlands Luftwaffe | FLUG REVUE

Sukhoi Su-35 (Flanker-E / Super Flanker) Multirole Heavy Combat Fighter Aircraft

Turbofan aircraft engine AL-41F-1S | Catalog Rosoboronexport

Su-35S Flanker-E Multirole Fighter | Thai Military and Asian Region

Russian Defense Ministry receives last three Su-35S fighters under 5-year contract - Military & Defense - TASS

Multirole supermaneuverable fighter Su-35 | Rosoboronexport

MILAVIA Aircraft - Sukhoi Su-35 (Su-27BM) "4++ Generation Flanker"

Su-35S – Su-27 Flanker Family

Su-35BM – Su-27 Flanker Family

Su-27M (Su-35) – Su-27 Flanker Family

https://www.deagel.com/Sensor Systems/OLS-35/a001926

Sukhoi 35 - The Super flanker - Full Afterburner

View topic - Su-35S with Ka band antenna on RWR. • F-16.net

Stealth No More?: Russia's Su-35 Fighter Might Be Able to Track an F-22 Raptor | The National Interest

WORLD-CLASS ‘FLANKER’?

Assessing the Tikhomirov NIIP L-Band Active Electronically Steered Array

Assessing the Tikhomirov NIIP L-band active electronically steered array | Semantic Scholar

Characteristics Of The Su-35. Su-35: specifications, photos of the fighter. Comparative characteristics of the su-35 and F-22

to15 by avia lduo - Issuu

A ameaça Sukhoi Su-35S, o Flanqueador E+ – Tecnomilitar

Sukhoi 35 - The Super flanker - Full Afterburner

Sukhoi Su-35 The Ultimate Flanker

RF-95816 | Sukhoi Su-35S | Russia - Air Force | Tomasz Chrul | JetPhotos

http://sukhoitributeenglish.blogspot.com/

PDF Document - The Military Balance 2021

PDF Document - Interview with Yuri Bely

PDF Document - Russian and Chinese Combat Air Trends

Books (sorted by priority):
-Sukhoi Su-27 - Yefim Gordon - Midland Publishing 2007
-Su-27 The History of the Fighter - Andrei Fomin - Publishing 2004
-Sukhoi Su-35 Flanker-E - Russia´s 4th ++ Generation Super-Manouverbility Fighter - Hugh Harkins - Publishing 2015
-Su-57 Felon (Modern Military Aircraft Series 2) - Piotr Butowski - Publishing 2022

7 Likes

Better change to Iran it seems

6x

2 Likes

Two-seater advanced Flanker alert.

+1

But I’m not sure that Sukhoi Flanker two-seat in this image it might be Su-27PU (Su-30) or Su-30M2

1 Like

The spine has a higher wall against the wso seat rear visibility is reduced in two seaters. Single seat the pilot has more visibility and the back was is not as high. Additionally if you zoom in you can make out the center canopy bow.

Of course, all highly speculatory.

Can Fox-3 be fired via electro-optical? I saw this done in DCS, wasn’t sure if it’s a actual possibility.

1 Like

That is a really great question.

I do not believe so at range because the radar on missile has no optical seeker to handshake and pass over the data and translate to a radar picture.

I believe that is fake in DCS. Unless its some advanced hybrin IR missile.

Let me explain a little better, a fox 3 as you know is a radar missile.
Its seeker is an actual radar and fire control. It does not turn on until it is launched and enters the terminal phase or when fired in ACM Active, where the radar on the missile is switched on while it’s still on the aircraft and it becomes a glorified sidewinder and locks close range targets.

Without its radar or the host aircrafts radar to launch and guide it, all it has after launch is inertial guidance which is capable of hitting targets but non maneuvering.

Maybe really advanced fox 3 missiles have electro optical compatibility, but I will have no idea if they do. But then again, they would no longer be active homing missiles and more of an advanced IR missile like the python 5.

While Rafale, F-15J (only tested) and maybe Eurofighter (I am only aware of these atm) are able to guide missiles with IRST Data (likely with some backup help from Radar, subject for more research), I don’t remember reading that Flankers were able to do that.

1 Like

Is there any possibility that the aircraft onboard IRST would track the target and update target information via datalink to the missile until it’s in terminal phase? That seems to be how the R-77 could be fired with IRST lock in DCS.

1 Like

I do not believe brother because IRST cannot determine range. You need a signal to bounce off the target. IRST is line of sight, very susceptible to range and weather as its literally a camera.

Radar is always superior. Additionally, advances in TWS can mask the launch of a Fox 3 . Its much harder IRL than WT to know you been attacked by the Aim54 and other active missiles fired from the Flanker.

I believe it is fake in DCS. Then again, I am not an expert.

1 Like

IRST has LRF and it posible to use radar+irst at same time with radar determining range and IRST angular coordinates. And for fox-3 going active from the rails you need only angular coordinates.

A laser range finder must produce an actual electromagnetic signal and “laze” a target. That means it is susceptible to be warned by active protection systems.

IRST is not detectable as its purely a receiver, a camera.

Can you show me where the camera itself produces a laser?

So an IRST on the Russian platforms not only is a camera, but also produces a laser beam to determine range? Very high tech. Regardless a laser range finder will give away position against advanced missile warning receivers.

Additionally. Lasers are still highly susceptible to distance and weather. Radar is always superior and why they keep cramming them in the nose of fighters.

I am very skeptical this is a real thing. But open to anything.

If the IRST has a range finder then why is the radar needed at the same time?

The statement is contradicting as you first mention it has a LRF, but then say you must use the radar in conjuction with IRST.

using a radar and LRF completely negates the advantage of the IRST. Which is to target without alerting the opponent they are being targeted.

It is a passive system, like IR seeker missiles.

A fox 3 that is active on the rail means the radar is on. That is the definition of going active.

The radar of the missile is already on and therefore giving off an RWR warning.

Becouse range of LRFs are much lower than range of radars

1 Like

Original question was about launching fox-3s via IRST (the same way you can fire fox-2 via irst - give angular data to seeker where should it look).

1 Like

With what data though? The fox 3 cannot visually detect a heat source. How is that data translated to the fire control of the R-77. It does not haven an IR seeker along with a radar afik.

Additionally, unless the IRST keeps the target lazed, the missile is blind unless it turns its own radar on or uses the data from the firing aircrafts radar.

It can use inertial guidance but in the terminal phase the radar goes on regardless. Thus giving off an RWR.

You go me confused so I am genuinely asking how btw. I am only sarcastic with Mig23.

Are any of these fox 3s GPS guided? I was thinking that may be a possibility. Just to assist until the terminal in which a radar must still go on.

Wdym? It’s literally what it’s supposed to do.

IRST locks on targets, calculates its angular coordinates in the coordinate system relative to the aircraft, FCS transfers angular coordinates to fox-3 seeker where to look (like it does with fox-2), so it looks at same point where IRST looks and locks by its seeker.
I’m not saying that it is a thing with R-77 or anything else, I don’t know for sure, just that I don’t think it’s imposible to do so.

1 Like