Sukhoi Su-27/30/33/35/37 Flanker series & Su-34 Fullback - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

Theyre same, difference only few KG

Both bad in BVR and good in WVR, yes

F-15C radar also bad, but in case of Range(cant use TWS when target at distance more than 35-37 NMI), lacks of NCTR. But thats not a reason to add 63V2 or V3 aka AESA

But at least the F15C refreshes each sweep, sweeps faster and has 8 DL channels to the SMs incorrect 2.

Regardless, something needs to change.

6 Likes

depends on selected scan area

doesnt help in BVR a lot

sadly never used more than 2 in bvr…

It does help though. When guiding via DL, the faster you sweep and refresh, the sooner the missile gets fresh data and it makes less drastic corrections so less speed is lost.

The other issue is the SM sweeping and recapturing so slowly means that a target can easily fly out of the sweep area thus you miss.

1 Like

loss of 0.02 mach will not change anything

might be, but very low chances. more looks like warthunder moment

I did, on the small version of Afghanistan.

Fire all 8 after climbing with minimum fuel, return to base.

İt’s great

and how much time you actually guided them?)
theres no sense to do that on WT maps, on small Afghanistan even less

With the recent leaks that are from reliable sources, does it help to predict better which top tier russia is prob getting for december patch? i was thinking of the 30SM

Under powered trash is what Russia will get, unfortunately

2 Likes

No, antennae beam width is narrower, vertical ACM is taller, IRST has different scan patterns and tracking limits, and there are two datalink channels. That is why I said “mostly”.

Yeah, when I first saw that I was hoping for that too. Though, if they fix the bug with scan patterns going in reverse instead of starting from the top, it should really help with the time between each time the radar visits a target (it now can go up to 7.4 seconds, instead of the fixed 3.7 seconds).
Another thing the 60° degree scan pattern can help with is overlap with scan zones. There is that awkward zone between the center and side scan zone.

I don’t play sim, but if they fixed the IRST detection zone (and brough back the ability to shift the scan zone) it should really help with stealthy gameplay. Imagine spotting an F-15 from like 30-50 km, just because he is side aspect and afterburning.

3 Likes

Things that dont matter much, unlike:

Search pattern
Search Time
Notch resistance
Chaff Resistance

IRST is unrelated. It isn’t a “RADAR”

Datalink doesn’t matter for non R-77 planes anyway.

Vertical ACM being taller is a NERF

2 Likes

Underpowered in case of realism or balance ?

It will be way more than that. It can sometimes take 5-10 seconds for the track file to be updated. If you launched at like 30 km and the enemy then changed course, by the time the R-77 receives its new position by DL, it has wasted time and energy flying in the wrong direction. On top of that, it now has to do an aggressive turn towards where the enemy is.
On top of that, there are cases where the R-77 doesn’t even lock the enemy because it is searching in the wrong spot (assuming the above scenario).

5 Likes

well. when enemy will turn - missile just wont hit. thats true for both R-77 and AIM-120
just because notch works

where? can you provide replays? interesting to see

I think you missing the point. It not that Notch/3-9 works or not, but that it will take more time for the radar to correct enemy position for the missile and thus, requiring for missile to pull harder, draining more energy in the process

4 Likes

Yeah lets power push Russia again with a PESA Radar, thrust vectoring and more hardpoints…

By turn I don’t mean go into a notch, I mean just changing flight path.
Here is what I mean:
late DL update demo

• Orange 0, 1, 2, and 3 represent points in time.
  • Black dashed line represents the target’s flight path
  • Dark red represents the track file (where the radar things the target is)
  • Blue represents the flight path of the missile with a faulty track file (it thinks the target is following
    the red dashed line)
  • Green represents the flight path of the missile if it had correct information about the target’s position.

As you can see, from 0 to 1, the target flies straight and both missiles (blue and green) fly towards it on the same path.
At 1, the target changes direction. The blue missile does not know that and continues to fly straight. The green missile knows that the target changed direction, so it did a gentle turn to intercept it. Note that even if the blue missile gets within active range (before reaching 2), it will not be able lock the target, because it is looking for it in the wrong place.
At 2, the blue missile finally receives and update. It now has to do an aggressive turn to try to intercept the target. The green missile flying correctly and close to impact.
At 3, the green missile hits, but the blue missile doesn’t. The blue missile has way less energy that the green missile. But even if it still has enough energy, the blue missile is now close to a notch.

No, I don’t. I very rarely now launch missile in TWS. I just mostly fire at targets within 10-15 km using ACM.
If you want me to describe the scenario, here it is (similar to the above picture).The missile flies towards where it thinks the target is, but the target has changed its flight path. So when the missile is within active range it tries to look for the target, but since it has wrong information on its location, it can’t find it.

5 Likes

You are literally blind in the SU-27 because of the radar, it’s sad and pathetic.

Can’t even tell an enemy is 10KM ahead of you because of the radar

5 Likes

Happens too many times, just play the game it’ll happen fast

3 Likes

I could accept the fact that radar is trash if Fm was strong or vice versa.

Sadly both of them are miserable compare to other top tiers, at least better radar would’ve been useful.

5 Likes