Sukhoi Su-27/30/33/35/37 Flanker series & Su-34 Fullback - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

imo I find ACM range to be one of the most impactful things, 10km ACM feels bad compared to the 19km ACM of US radars

3 Likes

Yup ACM helps a lot sometimes

The teeth on the wing create a vortex that dramatically reduces the pressure above the wing, thereby increasing the pressure difference,

It also prevents the flow of air flow.

the slow ACM scan rate also feels bad, makes it feel like the ACM takes a lot longer to obtain lock

I think it’s due to the way MTI works that it needs ground clutter or something to be able to properly apply the filtering but I’m not 100%

Yes. Sorry I thought this was the Mig-23 thread.

The 10KM acm is truly a curse

The ACM on both İRST and Radar is horrible on Su-27. Sometimes it doesn’t even lock Extremely easy targets.

Like, sitting behind a F-16 at 2KM and the IRST ACM doesn’t lock lol

You have to use ACM HMS manually

part of it is box size and part of it is scanrate, because of the tall box it takes ages for the beam to scan the whole thing, whereas on say the F-15 is relatively small so any target that enters the box is going to be caught in the beam quickly

I will record videos when I play SU-27SM to show how bad the radar is even in <10KM using ACM HMS, not being able to lock targets approaching you headon at Mach 1.

I’m burnt out, so this might take a few days depending on my mood.

They don’t, look at the MiG-23 series. They absolutely refused to believe their turn rate was broken for the longest time. Still didn’t fix it “all the way”. They’re using Russian data for the F-5 series which makes them heavily overperform as well.

It’s just a bias for Russian data and a secondary consideration for “game balance”. The problem is the developers haven’t played their game for some time.

2 Likes

The teeth don’t have a major effect on the wing of the MiG-23, the vortices flow on both models. This is even described in the manuals for earlier models.

The dog tooth keeps the vortices closer to the body - assisting lateral stability at high angles. The wing in 33° and forward positions would only benefit from this with larger portion of the flight envelope having attached airflow (due to the leading edge devices mostly).

I’ll go back to the Cobra maneuver. To me, a cobra is a cobra even if it doesn’t exceed 90 degrees. The first Soviet aircraft that could do it was the MiG 21, with a Mirage on its ass and a pilot with big balls…but still.

90 degrees is main part, when plane hits 90 dergrees it notches (S)ARH.

Last I checked after the nerf the MiG-23MLD became the best rate fighter of the MiG-23ML family

Do you have test data to support this?

1 Like

Does the MiG-21 achieve total flow separation over the wing during ‘Cobra’?

1 Like

Yes, at min fuel and no load apart from 12 countermeasures on the belly the MLD does a 360 degree circle at 575kph IAS at least about 1.2 seconds faster than MLA.

Difference diminishes to about 0.5 seconds at speeds over 700kph (which is to be expected as benefit of slats diminishes as AoA decreases).

MLD barely lost (perhaps even slightly gained at very low speeds) rate performance now compared to the state before the nerf. Since it was also very bad when patch dropped, they must have increased the benefit of having slats after the FMs were buffed a little bit around a week after the patch since they had nerfed them too much.

2 Likes

There have never been any scientific tests that I know of. There are only a few written records. It seems the Soviets never discovered the MiG 21’s capabilities at slow speeds.

I don’t think the MiG-21’s pitch rate is sufficient to surpass the point of flow separation quickly enough to perform Cobra safely. There are too many lateral disturbances.