Suggestion: Add Differential Braking to Regenerative Steering

Suggestion: Add Differential Braking to Regenerative Steering

Since Regenerative Steering has already been discussed and tested, I would like to suggest a possible way to complement the system and solve one of its main limitations: making tight turns when traveling at higher speeds.

Instead of completely replacing the existing steering behavior, Regenerative Steering and differential braking could work together.

SUGGESTED CONTROLS

W + A/D
→ Regenerative steering, allowing the vehicle to maintain much more speed while turning.

A/D without W
→ The vehicle continues turning while naturally losing speed.

(Any Key) + D
→ Brakes the right track, the inner track of a right-hand turn, allowing a much tighter turn.

(Any Key) + A
→ Brakes the left track, the inner track of a left-hand turn.

(Any Key) without A/D
→ Brakes both tracks, functioning as a conventional brake.

EXAMPLE

A tank traveling at 50 km/h:

W + D → wide turn while maintaining speed.

D → turn while gradually slowing down.

W + D + (Any Key) → tighter turn by braking the inner track while the outer track continues providing propulsion.

This would allow the player to choose between maintaining momentum with regenerative steering or sacrificing speed for a tighter turn using differential braking.

I believe this could preserve the main advantage of Regenerative Steering while addressing the difficulty of making tight turns at higher speeds.

The exact implementation could, of course, vary depending on the real capabilities of each vehicle’s transmission and steering system.

Most tanks with regenerative steering do not have the ability for differential braking.

The only tank I can think of that allows for different types of steering is the Strv 103. And even then it is either hydrostatic double differential or clutch brake, it does not allow for differential braking.

If you give tanks this ability just so regenerative steering doesn’t have disadvantages, why not also allow clutch-brake steering tanks to have regenerative steering? After all, it gets rid of their disadvantage of losing speed at high speeds.

1 Like

I got it, I thought about that but I don’t put it the topic cause what was presented was to be implemented to some top tiers vehicles, but I agree with but only difference is I believe that mobility should be compatible with the vehicles technology. Example: even old vehicles should receive it, but compatible with the vehicles resource and inferior to the top tiers