If a vehicle has a very low power-to-weight ratio, excessively high ground pressure, or weighs more than 55 tons, I think there should be a chance for it to get stuck when entering certain deep muddy or soft terrain areas.
Adding this mechanic would make the game more realistic and would also give the towing hook an actual purpose. At the moment, I almost never have any reason to use it.
uhhh no, we already have this in the form of bad traction mechanics and getting stuck on pebbles
18 Likes
For starters, the off-road capability of wheeled vehicles is simply too high.
There is absolutely no advantage to using tracks in this game.
It would be good if there were a balance of risks and rewards for both tracks and tires.
1 Like
I think that’s actually a different issue. I’m not suggesting simply making traction worse or having tanks randomly get stuck on small obstacles.
What I’d like to see is a more realistic terrain system, where very soft mud, deep snow, sand, etc. interact with vehicle weight, ground pressure, power-to-weight ratio, and whether the vehicle uses tracks or wheels.
And yes, I agree that wheeled vehicles are currently far too capable off-road. Tracks should have a meaningful advantage on soft terrain, while heavy vehicles with high ground pressure should face a real risk of bogging down. That would make terrain choice much more important — and finally give towing another real purpose.
no we litteraly have ass traction because gayjin wont give us our proper traciton back
2 Likes
no no and no get out the games already bullcrpa enough
I get what you mean, but I’m talking about a different mechanic.
Bad traction and getting bogged down in soft ground are not the same thing.
I’m not asking Gaijin to make traction worse — I’m talking about vehicles actually sinking or getting stuck in deep mud depending on weight, ground pressure, and vehicle type.
Adding a mechanic where you end up being a pillbox unless teamwork is used would suck.
People already drive past you instead of helping to repair.
4 Likes
That’s a fair concern. I wouldn’t want getting stuck to turn you into a permanent pillbox either.
Ideally, you should still have a chance to free yourself by reversing, rocking the vehicle back and forth, or using lower gears. Towing by another player should just make recovery much faster, not be the only way out.
The idea is to make soft terrain actually matter, not to force players to rely completely on random teammates.
I can tell you would love this mechanic exactly up until first instance of you getting killed randomly because gaijin spaghetti code decided you got stuck when you shouldnt have.
Anyway hard pass.
Game has much bigger problem than to make itself even more unplayable intentionally. Gaijin does that even without such suggestions.
For example, vehicles above a certain weight could collapse some bridges and fall through.How could a flimsy little bridge possibly support a heavyweight monster like an Abrams, Challenger, Leopard 2, or Merkava? That just feels way too unrealistic.
Only greater complexity and variety can raise a game’s skill ceiling and improve its replayability, so players are less likely to get bored or feel that everything is repetitive.
…thereby strengthening the game’s longevity and competitiveness.
WT is weird. tanks can go full pelt over mud yet struggle over a trench.
I do think mobility should be worse on mud and sand or whatever, theres no way youre getting to 45mph in a 60 ton vehilcle on that terrain. But we should be able to climb much steeper angles overall, nerfing that to cover for bad map design is lame
1 Like
Yeah, I pretty much agree.
Mobility should depend much more on the actual terrain. A 60-ton MBT shouldn’t be able to blast across deep mud or soft sand at near-road speed, but at the same time, tanks should be able to climb slopes that their real traction and power allow.
I’d rather see proper terrain physics than a blanket mobility nerf used to compensate for map design.
Once a game like this starts moving in an increasingly unrealistic direction instead of trying to simulate reality as closely as possible, it can quickly lose the competitive edge that originally made it stand out.
World of Tanks is a good example of this, with things like double-barreled tanks, flamethrower tanks, and tanks covered in historical-character-themed skins.
1 Like
id also like for light tanks and vehicles with low ground pressures to have their own niche on some maps as they can skip over bad terrain without penalty to mobility.
There is WAY to many issues with mobility an traction that need to be resolved first.
You are very optimistic about your teammates…
1 Like
Gaijin already goes the extra length to ensure amphibious capabilities can’t be leveraged into opportunities…
i mean… thats a different thing as not everyone can float. Everyone can drive over mud, but only some will be a mudskipper
But where does the map accounting for inherent limitations stop ?
Should all hull down position get a little plateau to accomodate Soviet tanks, or do we just accept that they can’t use the same positions a Challenger can ?
That aside, my point was that Gaijin is already scared enough of a niche capability that isn’t widely available so that they would consider creating an actual capability gap that would be all encompassing is that far off the chart.
I’d love for the game to have Spintires level of terrain, make no mistake, but I don’t expect it to happen.
they usually do. Ive never had issues using vehicles with less than -8 depression on maps. however i can be much sneakier with 10-20 degrees