Britain Air Forces

Megatron have a bigger gun? That would help, though would probably get some form of balancing nerf

just for a better dart

The 140mm main gun offered no significant improvements in Kinetic Energy rounds (APFSDS) due to its low chamber pressure compared to the 120mm. The spalling tho… Also autoloaded of course.

Wrong Hornet

1 Like

Yea, the features in the nose doesn’t line up

Can we move the Cr2LEP/3 discussion to Here please?

I mean yeah but just look at the intakes. They’re from F/A-18F and the whole model is exactly this variant

1 Like

I wonder what is taking so long for them to fix this… Having extra GBUs on the Tornado would be a massive improvement. They still haven’t given us the Hindenburg fuel tanks, or the option of heavier GBUs on the wing pylons.

1 Like

I was under the impression all of the flight performance data for the yak-141 was guesstimated.

Gee whiz, this thread took some wild detours in the last 24 hours

Anyways, that F/A-18 doesn’t look very credible to me and even if it was, I would still prefer to get a Hawk 200 and some much needed fixes for british tech

1 Like

Hey there,

While the Challenger 2 have quite low performance power packs versus their jet turbine peers, the challenger 2 still moves at 72km/h, which is impressive for a v12 Diesel Engine 75 ton MBT.

As for insufficient protection: The Challenger 2 is perhaps one of the most well protected tanks to date. The entire design philosophy behind CR2 called for maximum crew survivability above all else. While the Lower Frontal Plate and concave drivers port are indisputable weak points, the tank makes heavy use of advanced composite armor across the UFP, Turret Mantlet, Cheeks, Side Skirts, Turret walls, as well as some of the most effective western Explosive Reactive Armor packages available. Dispite being deployed in combat multiple times by the UK, none have been lost in the hands of the British Army, even when facing the same threats that M1 Abrams had faced and suffered considerable losses.
The tank has even been credited as surviving 70 RPG rounds with only superficial damage. Granted we dont know what RPG rounds these were.
Above all else, No Challenger 2 has ever suffered a lost crew to enemy action. All engagements, even in Ukraine have seen full crew survival even if the Ukrainians had lost a Challenger. Weighed against Leopard losses, we begin to see why Challenger 2 is renouned for its crew protection.

The Hard Cap comment puzzles me a bit - The Challenger can stock over 50 rounds, Charges and Projectiles. An absolutely insane firepower store. Every tank will have maximum shell caps. You can only fit so many rounds in a tank. 2 piece ammunition, same as rifled main guns is just doctrine for the British Army. You still see an insane 3 second qualifying reload time on CR2 dispite this.

It’s okay to want to dispell myths. The Challenger 2 isn’t invincible and we’ve seen that in Ukraine. But Cr2 isn’t the same Cr2 from the 1980s. This tank has undergone upgrades, design changes, addons and developments to make the CR2 a formidable MBT in today ls climate, on par with M1a2s and Leopard 2A7s.
Just because this thing is big, comparitively slow, and is absolutely dogshit in War Thunder is not a reflection of its usage in battle in real life.

The British Army use armor vastly different to how the US or Germany use armor. Speed is not as important to them and thus crew survival was paramount instead.

4 Likes

Both would be fine. Expecting Gaijin to go for both seems like a bit of a stretch tho lol

i think he was just rage baiting to get people angry

2 Likes

Beats me, Morv called and I answered lmao

1 Like

The Yak-141 very much did exist, did fly, was fitted with some military equipment and there are detailed plans on other things like countermeasures and additional weaponry. This was a prototype of a combat aircraft.

F-16AJ is a straight Block 10 F-16. This was Japans only option at the time.

The EAP did fly, but was never intended to be a combat aircraft or even a prototype of one. It was a technical demonstrator to act as a proof of concept for the technologies that would later be found in Typhoon.

The manufacturers website makes it fully clear:

"EAP was intended to demonstrate active, full-authority digital fly-by-wire controls, a significantly unstable (by 15% of mean chord) canard delta configuration. It would feature new manufacturing materials and methods (including carbon fibre composites, aluminium lithium alloys and super-plastically formed diffusion-bonded Titanium) and advanced digital electronic systems, including a glass cockpit with a wide field-of-view head-up display (HUD).

As it was an experimental and technology demonstration aircraft, no weapons or military equipment was fitted, although dummy weapons were carried in a low-drag position.“”

It had no functioning Skyflash, AMRAAM or AIM-9L, nor the functioning systems to use them. It had no combat capable radar and it had no systems for countermeasures or any integrated RWR. More than this, it was never intended to be a combat aircraft nor planned to be. The dummy weapons fitted were to collect data and flight performance information. Nothing more.

We have no need to resort to a non-combat capable jet like this when there are more suitable (and real) options.

7 Likes

The way I see it is that the Yak-141 just should not have been added already.
The USSR tree did not have a need for a prototype fighter and them getting one while other nations are in this predicament of not having any options that the majority of players would be happy with makes it infinitely worse

3 Likes

Then I seriously hope for Aim120C5s for both the Tornado F3 FSP and Sea Harrier FA2 or it’s going to be another very bleak year for Britain. If it’s a C&P from another nation then I hope it’s a very very short stop gap, with Typhoon planned for ASAP.

So it going to be something real

Tornado FSP/Sea Harrier FA2 inbound