Ship size comparison chart

In the suggestions tab there is one such example which states that they will accept unfinished prototypes: this constitutes vehicles where a significant component was build such as guns or armour, or engines (see the O Class Battlecruiser suggestion), or vehicles which began construction.

There was a devblog a few years ago which said that they would accept completed ship designs, however this has since been amended to ships which were laid down as well as ships which constitute unfinished prototypes. This includes things like Kronshtadt but also many other ships that can come in the future such as the Amagi and Kii class ships, or the french normandie, or the American Lexington and South Dakota class’, or the British Lion, G3 and Churchill classes.

In the interests of gameplay and also variety, ships which were partially constructed or laid down had designs finished make the cut. So yes things are added because nations did not finish making them. The only nation where its questionable is Russia because they laid down things they could never have finished, but France for instance had its ships screwed by German invasions twice. But in the interest of fairness Russia also gets its ships.

This is wildly off-topic now anyway.

Q. Will there be projects for series H battleships for Germany in the game? They were laid, but were soon dismantled. The battleship Bismarck will not be able to withstand Yamato and Iowa on equal terms. We would like to see the H-39 project.

We consider as possible the addition of similar ships, those that were laid down, but were not completed in reality.

Design of the ships and especially the large capital ships such as BBs is much more complex then that of tanks or planes. And there is nothing like prototype, as is for tanks or planes. So the unfinished ship have enough data and are close enough to the eventual completed ships (even if that never happened) that gaijin can model them accurately enough.

If you want to continue this discussion link my reply into other thread this is off topic here so I wont reply here further.

1 Like

Because Hood is considerably faster. As horsepower required for more speed increases exponentially, it would require much more power to increase the speed to 30+kn. That means the machinery space has to be considerably longer thus adding up more hull structure weight as well as armour weight. As opposed to many people’s impression, battlecruisers aren’t “smaller” or “lighter” than the contemporary battleship, as they need a shit load of tonnage on their machinery in order to achieve the high speed. For example, Renown is heavier than QEs and Rs too despite being lightly protected and having less firepower. Meanwhile Hood was the first attempt to combine the speed of battlecruiser, the same level of firepower and protection (in fact, better) as contemporary battleships, it’s not going to surprise you that her tonnage went rocket high.

Another fun fact: Hood was the largest warship Britain had ever built until 2017, when the aircraft carrier QE commissioned. A record kept for 97 years.

P.S. A diagram showing required horsepower related to speed for HMS Renown

3 Likes

Thanks for the discussion, here is the latest version of the chart with many additions. Had to extend the layout quite much down. I will later add some numerical information such as tonnage to each ship.

Original resolution image (20mb) can be found here:
https://i.ibb.co/VwbBdTS/Size-chart-3.png

10 Likes

Gorgeous work.

Thanks. It seems I have set the goal of adding every ship class there is in WT… attached is a close-up view of some new ships, which I think would be perfect for forum signatures. I still have to write the names and other details for full scale chart, stay tuned.

7 Likes

After the resulting file started approaching height of 50000 pixels, I decided to divide the chart to national ship trees. Here is the first: USA with top view included.

Since its getting harder and harder to upload 42 mb png anywhere I created a deviantart account. Full scale png can be found: https://www.deviantart.com/conveyorindustry/art/Usa-chart-1-1011363198 (You have to click Free download button)

8 Likes

At the first glance of Mississippi and Arizona I somehow thought the image was squashed horizontally

Is it possible to make a chart of the non-player vessels, such as IJN Kashino, Nicolaos, and USS Forrestal ?

I was actually planning to add the non playable aircraft carriers but then again rethinking to not add them to cause less confusion. Maybe I will add them to separate file with all non playable vessels.

To my eyes the only non-prototypical aspect of all 3D models is the very shallow draft of Raleigh and Omaha class. This might be because the wiki USS Omaha article says draft is 4.34 m while the Omaha class article says its 6.1 m. (The white box in my render is 6m x 6 m) . You can see the issue clearly in the original contracting artists work also: https://spacesauce.artstation.com/projects/EV09BN. If the draft was 4.34 m in reality it must have been filled up with lead or solid iron to have the center of gravity in any feasible location…

I would love that ! Thanku for considering it.

It 's interesting to see that the visual model for this ship appearently always had the possibility of animated seaplane catapults, even before that mechanic was implemented:

I wonder if certain other vessels will have their artwork 's animations put into use later too:

Gaijin was always quite thorough with the animation and models for example almost all naval planes have wing folding animations and newer planes have the in air refueling animated too.

I guess it is easier to order the models fully modeled instead of trying to refit them later.

As designed, Detroit’s draft sat at 13’4 1/16" (4.06m), which is at her design displacement:

Spoiler

Detroit design draft

Marblehead’s designed draft was a quarter-inch less, in both a 1934-dated and 1942-dated set of plans, as was Omaha’s:

Spoiler

However, Raleigh’s is listed as two inches higher, specifically on 7100 tons (the US at the time of this document’s creation used short 2000lb tons, though this document is updated to 1944 where they were using long 2240lb tons. Also note that it lists 50.6 tons to the inch of draft, implying that for every 50.6 tons added over that 7100, the draft would increase one inch.

Spoiler

Thus, to increase the draft by ~6 feet as you’re getting results for, it’d require approximately 3600 tons added to the displacement, making a total of 10700 tons.

Ships’ Data 1935 shows Omaha, Raleigh, and Trenton’s normal displacements as 7050 tons, with a maximum draft of 20 feet (6.096m):

Spoiler

Ergo, if the ship is basically empty, it’s 4.06m; if the ship is totally packed, it’s 6.096m. In combat, it’d likely be around 5-5.5m, though I have no idea what Gaijin’s implemented draft is.

Hope this is somewhat useful.

2 Likes

Just for fun I checked how the competitors product matches and I could say that the geometrical convergence between models is good. The only issue here is the keel coloring that Gaijin could fix with new skin.

Here is also photograph of Trenton in drydock: